Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GR_Urbanist

"Site" condo projects on hold for 3 months?

17 posts in this topic

Not a long article...

"Right now, Grand Rapids doesn't have specific zoning rules for condos. Condo developers have to follow standard sets of local and state zoning requirements. But they don't have to go through the same approval process as they would for other types of residential projects, including public hearing that allow neighbors to express their concerns."

Link to story

Not a long article...

"Right now, Grand Rapids doesn't have specific zoning rules for condos. Condo developers have to follow standard sets of local and state zoning requirements. But they don't have to go through the same approval process as they would for other types of residential projects, including public hearing that allow neighbors to express their concerns."

Link to story

wow Article really doesn't give much meat to it. I'm thinking maybe the city has just had so many new condo developments that they are trying to align the standards with the master plan maybe?

The Master Plan is already set to be updated this coming year. The City has still not put together the zoning (form/pattern based zoning) that coincides with the Master Plan and gives it the teeth and ability to enforce the ideas presented in it. I recently saw a timeline for the Planning Commission to do a piecemeal approval of the zoning over the coming year, a little bit each session. In my opinion, the city has been dragging its feet on this thing for over 3 years now, and now a whole year to go? My neighborhood gave their input over 2.5 years ago and there have been a number of meetings since then, put it in place already! The Planning Commission needs to lock themselves in a room for a weeklong retreat and bang it out, not go at it bit-by-bit, inch-by-inch. Maybe the City Commission is trying to light a fire under their bums?

wow Article really doesn't give much meat to it. I'm thinking maybe the city has just had so many new condo developments that they are trying to align the standards with the master plan maybe?

The Master Plan is already set to be updated this coming year. The City has still not put together the zoning (form/pattern based zoning) that coincides with the Master Plan and gives it the teeth and ability to enforce the ideas presented in it. I recently saw a timeline for the Planning Commission to do a piecemeal approval of the zoning over the coming year, a little bit each session. In my opinion, the city has been dragging its feet on this thing for over 3 years now, and now a whole year to go? My neighborhood gave their input over 2.5 years ago and there have been a number of meetings since then, put it in place already! The Planning Commission needs to lock themselves in a room for a weeklong retreat and bang it out, not go at it bit-by-bit, inch-by-inch. Maybe the City Commission is trying to light a fire under their bums?

Steve - I think you're on to a different problem here. Suzanne and the planning department has severly limited resources right now. I have faith in her ability and commitment. She'll get it done as soon as she can. Unfortunately, it's just another example of the results of a 'starve the beast' attitude towards government. As is almost always the case, we get what we pay for.

Just to clarify (since WOODTV did not), this is a moratorium on site condominiums, not PUD's like many of the current downtown condo projects. Site condominium classification is what many developers of suburban neighborhoods use now (even single-family homes), since it's much easier to get approvals then the old subdivision or plat requirements.

post-2672-1161113452_thumb.jpg

I'm not a real estate attorney, so anyone can feel free to elaborate or clarify more. Suzanne had apparently asked for 9 months.

Just to clarify (since WOODTV did not), this is a moratorium on site condominiums, not PUD's like many of the current downtown condo projects. Site condominium classification is what many developers of suburban neighborhoods use now (even single-family homes), since it's much easier to get approvals then the old subdivision or plat requirements.

I'm not a real estate attorney, so anyone can feel free to elaborate or clarify more. Suzanne had apparently asked for 9 months.

Wow...if it wasn't for UP, I'd be very confused or concerned. That's pretty bad reporting on WOOD, I think. Doesn't it feel negative in tone, too? Maybe they'll read this thread and clarify their story.

Wow...if it wasn't for UP, I'd be very confused or concerned. That's pretty bad reporting on WOOD, I think. Doesn't it feel negative in tone, too? Maybe they'll read this thread and clarify their story.

Well, in their defense, many people in the real estate business wouldn't know the significance of the "site" condominium terminology. Now it doesn't necessarily mean "suburban". If someone wanted to build a new neighborhood within the city limits, they could file under a site condominium. It usually means the streets are private, and that there is a condominium board that runs the place. The city just doesn't have a way to handle these requests right now.

Our Lady of Aglona (Broadway & 1st project) = site condos, yes? (New private streets)

And here I thought that moratoriums were illegal in Michigan. In PA, the state Supreme Court declared them a

Our Lady of Aglona (Broadway & 1st project) = site condos, yes? (New private streets)

I think the title of this thread might be off, when I read the City's Memo, it says a 9-MONTH Moratorium, not 90 days. Did the City Commission only approve 90 days?

The way that the PRD works is similar to the PUD, the property is rezoned and the site plan is approved at the same meeting. Once the site plan is approved, it and the submitted architecture, becomes the governing document and the project MUST be built as submitted. There is no room for changes. If changes occur to either the site plan or the architecture, the project must go back before planning commission.