Person Street

Eugene

Anyone have information on the Person Street Plaza site at the intersection of Person and Franklin. I had heard a condo/retail/restaurant development was on the way and all but one business in the plaza is now closed, but I have not seen any activity. I live nearby and am looking forward to some development in the area.

Anyone have information on the Person Street Plaza site at the intersection of Person and Franklin.  I had heard a condo/retail/restaurant development was on the way and all but one business in the plaza is now closed, but I have not seen any activity.  I live nearby and am looking forward to some development in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is probably a part of the N Blount St redevelopment, or it is related somehow to the buzz in that area.

I heard about this too- they were talking about it at the Mordecai neighborhood meetings, but I'm a bad neighbor and haven't been attending recently---there was a little info in some of the meeting minutes which are available on this link, although they're not updated at this point www.mordecai.org.

The last I head was the plaza was going to be razed with a new retail/condo development going up in its place.

Why did they cut down all those trees by those apts. on Blount across from the softball field at Peace? Geez, those places were an eyesore as it was.

Yea, the cutting down of the trees was what got me wondering about the development of the site. Is the vacant lot part of the new development? Are they going to rehab those appts? I guess we'll see. I live in the non-historic oak dale district - thanks for the mordaci link as I'm guessing I could attend these meetings as well for info.

• 1 year later...

Since we're talking about Wilmington Street and the need to reviatlize it, I wanted to comment on Person Street's potential. First, on the south end, you have Shaw University, the mother of African-American colleges in North Carolina. I had noticed a new building or two (maybe a student center/library?) had popped up across Person Street from the main dorm. Is this part of any larger program by Shaw to revamp some of its facilities? I think that those buildings do alot for the area, and it would be great for the University if it could kind of make that area its own, rather than having to run a barbed wire fence around its perimeter. When you combine this with the Moore Square/City Market area, the Oakwood area, and the Conti's/Mordecai Bridal area, I think that the potential is obvious. I think that, with Glenwood South sort of "expanding" downtown on the west end, we can set up Person as the unofficial eastern boundary of downtown, blending nicely into one of Raleigh's oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods (Oakwood.)

I know that the Blount Street Revitilization is going to take care of that ugly parking lot across Peace from the Krispy Kreme (check out RaleighMSA's "New Projects--Downtown Raleigh" section.) I also know that they're supposed to be getting rid of that horrendous block where the Megabyte and the dry cleaner used to be. Anyway, i just wanted to see what other people thought of this, and if anyone knows of any new projects on Person Street in particular.

Obviously the Blount St. revitalization will have a huge impact. I think the biggest waste on Person St. is the giant parking deck behind the Federal Building. That block, plus the post office across the street totally seperate a potentially vibrant south end with a vibrant north end.

Person street can get a revamp and stuff. BUT they definitly need some affordable housing built if they revamp the south end, there are some veyr rundown houses in that area. I think that we shoudl build a condo tower on person called the "No hand king tower" because he is the best. The No hand king is my best friend ever (even though i dont know him)

Going from south to north:

From south of MLK through the Shaw campus, Person also borders South Park, an historically African-American neigborhood established by freed slaves. The structures are in various levels of disrepair, but they are somewhat historically significant. I would like to see No Hands King perform his tricks at venue like Artsplosure, Caniacs Carnival, Raleigh Wide Open, etc. than being a distraction at a busy intersection with the potential to cause serious automotive accidents.

Shaw itself is looking at where and how it wants to expand. It owns some parcels east of Person, and is working on being a better neighbor to the community. They are considering developing the land north of MLK between Person and Blount.

The block bounded by Person, Davie, Blount and Cabarrus is well overdue for redevelopment. The big parking lot south of Founders Row and east of Palladium Plaza is too close to downtown to continue to sit idle.

The back side of City Market, across from the Magnet Middle School, had a charette two years ago, and the city may be looking to do something with that propety. It was bought with Community Development Block Grand funds, so there are restrictions on what can be done with it if the city develops it. The middle school is a dead block when class is in or out. I know it is to protect the kids, but it draws a line that cuts the neighborhoods to the east off from downtown.

I have no idea why no one has bought the Killo Pest Control property, unless it is too small or contaminated. The Salvation Army and Raleigh Rescue mission are always rumored to move, as both have property elsewher near downtown -- Mordecai and New Bern Ave, respectively. When that will happen, no one knows. Mo's Diner is nice, but I would rather have it expand into that parking lot and have an entrance right on Person Street. They never seem to be packed, and have been in business for years, so they must be doing something right!

The federal government parking *lot* (not deck) was encased in the high metal picket fence shortly after 9/11. They are not going anywhere, and appear to have no interest in making the parking lot any less imposing. The Longview's parking lot is not going anywhere either, which makes a bad corner worse when combined with the parking lot by the post office diagonally across. The wall put up for the condos on the west side of Person isn't going any where either, which also detracts from the walkability of the area.

The state govt. parking lot south of the Govenor's mansion *could* be redeveloped into a deck with something on the outside, but it has taken years just to get North Blount going, so I'm not waiting for anything there. North Blount will "back up" to Person, which will be nice. Murphey School will continue to operate as a senior living center, and the Burning Coal Theater going in the old auditorium could be cool.

Person from Peace to Franklin has all kinds of opportunity, but land owners don't seem to be at all motiviated to do anything until North Blount starts coming along. There are plenty of well off neighbors in Oakwood, but other than Conti's, the drug store, and Krispy Kreme, there is not much there. A few shops have come and gone, but nothing seems to attract enough foot traffic to stay for long other than the trophy place. It is a sore thumb the same way Morts' is on Davie between the Depot Distrct and the Convention Center area. The post office closed years ago, and even Mordecai Bridal is now closed. The New Orleans cooking store appears to only do classes... it could be a neat neighborhood restaurant, but Oakwood appears to have fought anyone getting an ABC permit on that part of Person.

There is a plan to redevelop Franklin Street -- I don't know if it just covers Mega Bite, or if it also includes the Super 10, but I hope it removes as much blight as much as possible!

Overall Person Street should be more of a gateway, not the "wall" it currently is. There is a lot of housing to the east that could put a lot of life back into downtown if it the walk there was more plesant.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an N&O article about Seaboard Station (Thanks ChiefJoJo!)

An interesting quote:

* Hobby Properties has submitted plans for 52 condominiums and 15,800 square feet of retail space at the former Person Street Plaza shopping center at Franklin, Blount and Delway streets. Project manager John Holmes said the company let leases expire so that the center could be redeveloped for tenants serving the neighborhood.

* Gregory & Parker this year intends to submit plans for a five-story building with about 100 apartments at the north end of the Seaboard Station development, McClain said. There are 2,640 residential units under construction or planned for downtown but many are condos costing $300,000 and up, creating a market for lower-cost apartments, McClain said.

• 1 month later...

The no-hand king is a guy who lives a couple of doors down Person on the southwest corner of Person and MLK. He often rides his bike during rush hour traffic on one wheel and no hands to the curb of the sidwalks at the MLK/Person, often with costumes, flags, etc.

No hands King at one time was trying to get himself some 'pub'...he was out a crabtree with some cones and and guy with a camcorder and a big sign stating he was in the process of breaking the guiness book record for riding a bike without hands....I say he should take his act to Fayetteville Street in the name of interesting characters the city would like to see downtown

• 2 weeks later...

I read this from the minutes of the last Mordecai CAC meeting regarding the Person Street Plaza development. I didn't attend, but it sounds like neighbors are really excited about this project--it's been in the works for years.

Person Street Plaza:

John Holmes of Hobby Properties and John Sibert, who owns the plaza, provided an update on the plans for this project. The development will include 26 apartments, 26 condos and 16,000 square feet of retail space, fronting Franklin and Person streets with an exit on Delway. Condos will be priced at $300,000- $600,000, depending on size. They hope to attract a restaurant, coffee shop and upscale convenience store to the retail space.

John Holmes reported that the site plan had been submitted to the city and that he had responded to the city

The old convenience store in Person Street Plaza was soooo seedy... they had empty shelves, that weird panty hose rack that needed a dusting, and malt liquor on display in a case.

I don't know what an "upscale convenience store" would have -- heat and eat meals? a wine selection to rival peace street market/seven even? Maybe this could combine with the coffee shop, like a Sheetz without gas? It is weird that Seaboard does not have a coffee shop, but if they're not going to have one, then this plaza might as well.

Apartments and condos will be a good addition to the area. This should compliment the redevlopment of the state government land a few blocks to the south. How many stories will this building rise? What views of downtown will it have? There are so many oaks in the area, it is hard to get a good line of sight to the CBD from street level.

• 1 month later...

Public Hearing on the Person Stret Plaza (now being called Franklin Street Plaza) on Tuesday, Jan 30. A Mordecai resident has sent out this petition to SAVE the development, apparently there is opposition within City planning because of a proposed entry onto Delway. There's a link here to more information about the project.

http://www.trianglelocations.com/

It looks like a great project--one that the city staff (it seems) would typically approve... urban condos, low rise, street retail, mixed use, needed redevelopment area. Why would they want/need access to Delway St.? If that's true, I can see why it would be a problem--the sight distance right where Delway and Blount intersect is not sufficient to add a driveway I would think.

The view (in the link) shows the building here--is the NW part of the block near the Blount curve part of the project too?

I really like the design and layout. It looks like a perfect fit for this area, and something that will really create a new more vibrant NE DT Ral community along with the existing Governor's Square, the shops along Person, and the coming Blount St redevelopment... here's the view from the Person Street intersection looking towards the Franklin St frontage:

frankln.jpg

I really like the design and layout. It looks like a perfect fit for this area, and something that will really create a new more vibrant NE DT Ral community (along with the existing Governor's Square, the shops along Person, and the coming Blount St redevelopment... here's the view from the Person Street intersection looking towards the Franklin St frontage:

frankln.jpg

Ah, kind of neo-industrial....in my fanatasy world I would develop stuff that look like old industrial buildings too <_<

With a lack of real industrial in the area, I think this will be a good project and have signed the petition. True mixed use, as opposed to "Brier Creek mixed use" with residential over here, shopping there, and offices over there, should be encouraged, especially near the downtown core.

The existing Person Street plaza is not worth saving, especailly with the parking lot seperating the sidewalk from the storefronts.

I wouldn't be so quick to sign that study...

Don't forget to check out the PDF information pack.

I suspect that city staff is not opposing this project on principle - they're opposing the configuration of the project. Staff probably doesn't like the vehicular access setup, and I can't say I'm too crazy about it either.

post-823-1169839440_thumb.jpg

First thing I notice is that this project has grown to cover nearly the whole block. The curved northwest corner doesn't quite fit with the eventual two-way conversion of Blount street, but that's not a huge problem. I wonder what the facade along Blount will look like? Those look like residential buildings to me. Are they just tearing the existing homes down, or are they being moved somewhere else?

The developers are planning an internal driveway connecting between Delway and Person. My guess is, the city is questioning the developer's decision to put most of the retail space along the side street (Franklin) rather than the major street (Person), while placing two driveways on one-way major streets, rather than a single driveway on the two-way side street (Franklin). Franklin is a minor street that doesn't really go anywhere anymore (Peace closed it off between Harp and Halifax), while Person is a major street that connects all the way into and through downtown.

The design with the pedestrian entrance on the side street and the driveway on the major street is reminiscent of, though not nearly so bad as, the Baptist Student Center on Hillsborough:

hillsborough3.jpg

beware...

beware.jpg