Person Street

Eugene

The Rapid Fitness is open now...although they don't even have a sign on the building yet. :lol:

And some type of art gallary-slash-gift shop has opened in the little retail space next to the Pharmacy. Dunno much about them but they had a First Friday flag out recently.

The old Rosie's plate is still empty. Though in the neighborhood there's a rumor that folks in the neighborhood are trying to convince the owner of Baja Burrito to open a second location there. (Good idea I think.) But that's just a fleeting rumor.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this thread has focused on North Person Street, but I got a letter from the Raleigh Historic Development Commission today about a project at 520 S Person St, Corner of Person and Lenoir for 2 new 3-story rowhouse buildings. Currently there is nothing on the lot.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=520+S+Person+St,+Raleigh,+NC&hl=en&ll=35.772613,-78.635062&spn=0.004727,0.010568&sll=35.773138,-78.635705&layer=c&cbp=13,281.46,,0,0.06&cbll=35.773057,-78.635215&hnear=520+S+Person+St,+Raleigh,+Wake,+North+Carolina+27601&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A&panoid=BQqc0b2ntio-r6JMRVUDJA

Edited by Justin6882

Until fairly recently there were 3 duplexes (guessing 1920's vintage) and  a circa 1900 2 story victorian home on this corner. The home had a fire and was subsequently demolished. The duplexes were also boarded up shortly afterward and torn down with no attempt to upfit them. The row houses will at least respect the character of what was there. 

Article in the TBJ about The Market (at the corner of North Person & East Franklin)

"Some of the business concepts include:

• A 93-seat restaurant with farm-view seating outside;

• A full-service butcher on site;

• A bodega-style grocery store;

• Full-service catering;

• A 1959 soda fountain; and

• A mobile catering truck."

The article also mentions opening by June.

• 5 months later...

Building on the link in the other thread about Crescent, I took some pictures of the items mentioned that are on Person Street plus the dirt being turned at the Person Street Townhome project. The sign says 10 of 18 are reserved. All in all this little stretch will be a sweet little city neighborhood which Raleigh is so short of. In order is the Person Street Townes site, The Station (Nialls place), Yellow Dog (now open) and the new Market space.  post-4367-0-09040100-1379108752_thumb.jppost-4367-0-72845200-1379108808_thumb.jppost-4367-0-89948700-1379108839_thumb.jppost-4367-0-01775400-1379108871_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...

I know this thread has focused on North Person Street, but I got a letter from the Raleigh Historic Development Commission today about a project at 520 S Person St, Corner of Person and Lenoir for 2 new 3-story rowhouse buildings. Currently there is nothing on the lot.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=520+S+Person+St,+Raleigh,+NC&hl=en&ll=35.772613,-78.635062&spn=0.004727,0.010568&sll=35.773138,-78.635705&layer=c&cbp=13,281.46,,0,0.06&cbll=35.773057,-78.635215&hnear=520+S+Person+St,+Raleigh,+Wake,+North+Carolina+27601&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A&panoid=BQqc0b2ntio-r6JMRVUDJA

An update on this project:  http://www.hilarystokes.com/the-ten-at-south-person.html

7719126_orig.jpg

Dumb question but does DHIC do market rate stuff? Just worried that everything in downtown is either 'luxury' or 'affordable' with little in between. I would love it if these fetched 900-1200 a month in rent but if DHIC is doing them they might be like 600 with income qualifications to get in. (luxury of course being like say 1600 a month for something this size)

Dumb question but does DHIC do market rate stuff? Just worried that everything in downtown is either 'luxury' or 'affordable' with little in between. I would love it if these fetched 900-1200 a month in rent but if DHIC is doing them they might be like 600 with income qualifications to get in. (luxury of course being like say 1600 a month for something this size)

Yea I say build rowhouses up and down all of southeast Raleigh with corner stores. They need to make it for middle class too. Right now I have a townhouse in North Raleigh but I would love to own one in downtown but not for anything over 250k.

• 3 months later...

Looks like former Herons chef, Scott Crawford, is picking up the idea that the owners of the now defunct Market restaurant/grocery started. I guess Person St. Plaza will get a small grocer after all. He is also looking to expand eating options on the Martin St. side of Nash Square.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/19/3871868/chef-scott-crawford-leaves-herons.html?sp=/99/106/139/1550/

Ah, so he's who is renovating the "other" Raleigh Times building. The posted photographs (on the windows) seem to indicate they are aiming to return the facade to its 1920' appearance. Lonely stretch of Martin my rear end (article writer's quote)...the Berkley was one of the handful of places holding down downtown when nobody else would come downtown. I argue that these places in 'quiet' corners are more important to long term appeal and sustainability than flash in the pan enterprises that involve massive amounts of people on Friday and Saturday buying expensive vodka drinks. 

Looks like former Herons chef, Scott Crawford, is picking up the idea that the owners of the now defunct Market restaurant/grocery started. I guess Person St. Plaza will get a small grocer after all. He is also looking to expand eating options on the Martin St. side of Nash Square.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/19/3871868/chef-scott-crawford-leaves-herons.html?sp=/99/106/139/1550/

First the Umstead Pastry chef moves downtown, now the head chef.  Now, all we need is for the Umstead to move downtown. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peace Street Townes (corner of Person) finally has framing started today. Its been slow going from one sub to the next....not sure why there were weeks between laying utilities, building the foundation, pouring the slab and finally framing, but it should materialize into livable units pretty quickly now. 

Edited by Jones_

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Ten at South Person are mostly framed up now. There is a brand new house built to 1920's historic standards essentially, that is about done too just around the corner. Point being that the Person St and its immediate area are really filling in and have the interest of people with money (for better or for worse being debatable I understand...)

I almost mentioned Person Pointe (was that the name?). I remember those starting construction right when the 2004 recession started and the asking price plummeted like 25k after they were completed. I want to say like 3 people paid the full asking price before the price drop, and I always hoped the price would rebound since I felt bad for those folks. 

Were those White Oak condos? Anyway, glad your 'hood is looking good. 

This was released last year, but I don't think I ever saw it here. What is everyones thoughts of converting Blount and Person to two way?

http://www.raleighnc.gov/business/content/PlanUrbanDesign/Articles/BlountPersonCorridorStudy.html

Going back to a pretty old post, but...

I think Blount and Person should remain as one-way. No turn lanes anywhere, but restripe it to two lanes, and add a segregated, curb-buffered, one-way cycle track between the parking and the sidewalk, from Hoke to Delway.

At intersections, put maybe 6' wide curb extensions in the space occupied by parking

Streets in downtown Raleigh have 66' rights-of-way.

<----direction of travel

10' sidewalk

6'  cycle track

4' buffer (with physical barrier so cars can't enter the bike space)

8' parking

10' travel lane

10' travel lane

8' parking

10' sidewalk

-------

66' total