Person Street

Eugene

I almost mentioned Person Pointe (was that the name?). I remember those starting construction right when the 2004 recession started and the asking price plummeted like 25k after they were completed. I want to say like 3 people paid the full asking price before the price drop, and I always hoped the price would rebound since I felt bad for those folks. 

Were those White Oak condos? Anyway, glad your 'hood is looking good. 

Yes, Person Pointe - I was the last one to buy when they were new so I got a pretty good deal on it. And prices have definitely gone up since then. 

I'm not sure who the developer was, actually. 

Also on Person Street right across from Person Pointe at 501 S. Person St (intersection of Person/Cabarrus) there is a little former church that was severely damaged during the tornado a few years ago. Developer Phuc Tran bought the property and rehabed it and is now looking to put a restaurant in the space. There had been conversations with Van Nolitha (one of the Bida Manda owners) to put something in the space. I attended a couple community meetings and most of the neighbors were worried about alcohol being served in their neighborhood. I personally think their worries are misguided, but I digress.

The Central CAC decided to vote against allowing a restaurant in the space. I know that's not binding, but the planning commission also apparently tabled a decision for a later date. (http://raleighpublicrecord.org/news/2015/01/09/central-cac-votes-against-rezoning-cases/)

As the group of people who would most be affected by having a restaurant across the street from our building, we were all very supportive. It was those in South Park who were worried a bar would come in and they worked so hard to get them all out back in the 80s/90s. They actually stated they have a standing order to not vote for any place that sells alcohol. Sad, but hopefully something will come of it. Van is a great guy and if it's anywhere near the quality of Bida Manda (which I'm sure it would be) we would all be the better for it.

Edited by Justin6882

• 4 months later...

More info about the potential rezoning of 501 S. Person Street for a high end restaurant. Lots of tension between the developer and (some) of the neighbors. However, those most affected (Person Pointe Condos) and the house directly behind the building, are all for a quality project to go in the former church that has been vacant for 4 years.

N&O: After years of work, East Raleigh church restoration meets neighborhood objections

More info about the potential rezoning of 501 S. Person Street for a high end restaurant. Lots of tension between the developer and (some) of the neighbors. However, those most affected (Person Pointe Condos) and the house directly behind the building, are all for a quality project to go in the former church that has been vacant for 4 years.

N&O: After years of work, East Raleigh church restoration meets neighborhood objections

Don't you live in Person Street? Someone on here does….

Anyway, Raleigh has zero little corner stores and bars and such that other cities do. These things make a good, complete city. I realize Quality Grocery failed, but in previous decades this neighborhood in particular did have have quite a few little corner stores and such…we're not talking Glewood ave here….an old church with a bar/restaurant in it is pretty nice and interesting actually…I've been to one in Louisville KY that is cool as can be, but nice and laid back. Seems like that's what we'd get here I'm thinking...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Stanley Martin is building "The Wallace" along Person St between Krispy Kreme and Burning Coal.  It seems like the framing has topped out.    Wow, I did not think it could get uglier than Peace Townes, but looks like they are trying very hard for that award.

http://www.stanleymartin.com/SMCWEB/ProductDetails_Projects.asp?ProductID=307&MetroAreaID=1004&ProjectGroupID=BN

What a shame for such a pivotal intersection and amidst such progress in the North Person mini-district. 

Edited by Green_man

Wow!!! This is about as bland as they come. You can find something like this in any small town in the south.

For an up and coming area like the Peace St/Person St corridor, you would expect something a little more stylish and urban. This is a very big disappointment.

Maybe I'm wrong but these developers seem to be way out of touch with what the market in some of these areas actually desire.

Once again we see a developer building the cheapest structure that they can get away with building on prime land, with plans to sell units for premium market prices.

Say what you want, but 28 out of 32 of those suckers are sold. I actually like Peace St Townes. A little modern-ish something to change it up. My bottom line is that this is the correct density for this radius from city center, so I'm cool with it. Perhaps the sales success of these will lead to the State receiving offers on their other parking lots….

Say what you want, but 28 out of 32 of those suckers are sold. I actually like Peace St Townes. A little modern-ish something to change it up. My bottom line is that this is the correct density for this radius from city center, so I'm cool with it. Perhaps the sales success of these will lead to the State receiving offers on their other parking lots….

I'm going to have to agree with Jones here.  I think Peace Street Townes is the perfect fit for that area.  A massive apartment building or skyscraper wouldn't mesh with the neighborhood next door as well.

Edited by DPK

I agree that the scale is the perfect fit for this area, but why have architects decided that only bricking half the facade is a good look?  And white cement fiber board is dirty and looks aged from the day the building is complete.  Looks very pretty in renderings though!

Also, the Wallace:  whoa, there are two units stacked, so each unit is only 2 floors too!  They are tiny!!

To be clear, I am not thrilled with the generic suburban look to Wallace either. They even seem out of place with the brick ones behind them, and PST next to them. Not even a nod to anything historic....they remind me more of the mile after mile of basic 2 story townhouses all over north Raleigh that were built in the 1980's. But, ho.ly.cow they are selling fast. I was sort of priced out of downtown already, and this rapid reheating of downtown's market is going to price out me, and many more people. 

To be clear, I am not thrilled with the generic suburban look to Wallace either. They even seem out of place with the brick ones behind them, and PST next to them. Not even a nod to anything historic....they remind me more of the mile after mile of basic 2 story townhouses all over north Raleigh that were built in the 1980's.

This is the problem that I have with a lot of these recent developments. The developers know that it's all about location, location, location. If they can secure prime land in a good location and at a good price, then they know that they can build whatever they want and people will still buy it, because those people who are buying tend to be more driven by close proximity to things rather than the overall appearance (e.g. The Hue) of the construction.

Developers are making a killing because they are building on the cheap and selling for premium prices (again, they're getting a good location so who cares about the appearance?). This trend is definitely good for the developers, but Raleigh overall looses because we're creating a city with a hodgepodge of crappy designs and low quality construction.

• Like 1

It's really too bad that we couldn't have the developers behind Dorothea Gardens and the upcoming Caraleigh Commons projects work on the Blount Street Commons projects.

So, serious question:  Were these individual projects approved by the city?  Or was it approval of a master plan and then a bait-n-switch by the developer?  I realize the developer changed hands after the recession, but seems like the new developer completely changed the vision and appears not held to the same standards from the original plan.  (No retail along Peace St is the most drastic change)

Those guys (City Space I think) really took the time to listen to what people wanted...starting out to improve their image in the community (they had sort of been landlords who did minimal upkeep to the point of the City started tearing down stuff on Saunders) and low and behold their houses sell really well. I'd put them and Hobgood and the two players I most want to see doing stuff downtown. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/2/2015 at 10:32 AM, RALNATIVE said:

This is the problem that I have with a lot of these recent developments. The developers know that it's all about location, location, location. If they can secure prime land in a good location and at a good price, then they know that they can build whatever they want and people will still buy it, because those people who are buying tend to be more driven by close proximity to things rather than the overall appearance (e.g. The Hue) of the construction.

Developers are making a killing because they are building on the cheap and selling for premium prices (again, they're getting a good location so who cares about the appearance?). This trend is definitely good for the developers, but Raleigh overall looses because we're creating a city with a hodgepodge of crappy designs and low quality construction.

Hey, new-ish member here.  I was curious what folks here thought about the place I just bought and found my way in to this thread.  

First of all, I do have to agree about the style of these places.  Not a big fan of the bland nature of the "Wallace" building but when we finally decided to pull the trigger on buying, they were the only units left available.  We really were sold on the location, though.  Can't argue with the walkability to N Person, Seaboard, DT and Glenwood (if for some reason we wanted to go there).  I do feel weird looking out of my windows over to Oakwood and try to pretend I'm walking in to something older and with more character when I enter my front door.  

I do have to argue about the low quality construction statement.  Yes, they are wood framed, but at several stages of construction of the unit we had an inspector give the place a look over.  He was very impressed with the build quality.  After having been in the unit for a few weeks now, I haven't heard a sound from our neighbors beyond the hanging of pictures and the occasional child running up a flight of stairs.  Having lived in the old Cameron Court apartments ages ago, then living in a 90's home in the suburbs, I have to say that in comparison I've been pretty happy with the quality of the place thus far.

Oh, and we totally didn't pay nearly as much as $400k for our unit.  Although it did appraise for more than that.

Hope I'm not coming off as overly defensive of the development.  This place felt like a good compromise between what we felt to be the perfect location and the lack of need to maintain a Victorian home.  Would have loved something of better exterior design but weren't seeing much on the horizon in the neighborhood.     

All fair comments. Thanks for the insight from an actual owner. I watch these being built and did notice you've got independent walls separating units beside each other, and two sheets of fire rated wall board in between them. That was probably code but it helps dampen sound a ton and also it's much better than similar apartment buildings where I have not seen anything beyond staggered stud wall construction between units, which is essentially saying, "we sound proofed the place but not really!" I was a litle surprised when I saw the bay protrusions going in supported by OSB joists. I was so unsure that was even legal I did some research on it. Apparently its a cheaper, though properly engineered alternative to full board joists. My guess is trees are getting cut sooner and there just aren't as many 6, 8 and 10 inch wide boards available so their price goes up. Glad you're sticking to downtown living! It takes all of  us being down here to keep it moving towards being a complete urban community. 

• 2 years later...

Got an email from Pelagic last night stating that even though they had been waiting for 3 years to move in to the space fronting Peace St, they have now decided to make the 300 Pace St location they're currently in their permanent home. 

So, any word on what's going on with that space?

2 hours ago, Tenkai said:

Got an email from Pelagic last night stating that even though they had been waiting for 3 years to move in to the space fronting Peace St, they have now decided to make the 300 Pace St location they're currently in their permanent home. 

So, any word on what's going on with that space?

I got the same email. I am a regular at their run club and in the area...I'll see what I can find out.