Thomasville takes stand on Marriage Equality

suburban george3

The Thomasville city council has decided to endorse a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. I personally, being a gay man, am outraged that a town in my metro area could even think of doing this. Well, Thomasville won't be getting any money from my hands anytime in the forseeable future. :angry:

Winston-Salem Journal Article on Thomasville's Marriage Stance

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really unfortunate that Thomasville would even consider such a resolution yet alone pass it. It also hurts the economic development potential of the Triad in that many companies that would look to expand into the area are not going to be anti-gay since they're very likely to have gays, lesbians and bisexuals within their ranks.

It is amazing to see the things that really matter to some people.

I'm not homosexual, bisexual, or transexual, but when I hear about things like this--essentially legalized prejudice--I get overwhelmingly disgusted.

Where's that big asteroid when we need it?? :D

Funny how those who get bashed often feel the need to do it to others as well...

This is a sad example of the world changing and a town being left behind- economically and socially. Talk to any mainstream Christian pastor who does marriage counseling and ask them: "What are the most powerful forces that can undercut a marriage between a husband and wife?"

The list will go something like this:

1. Money

2. Children

3. Work/Home Balance, lots of travel by a spouse

There are probably a half dozen other factors on the list I can't think of. I'm sure that "two women living in the house 4 doors away and planting a garden" is not on the list.

This is a sad example of the world changing and a town being left behind- economically and socially. Talk to any mainstream Christian pastor who does marriage counseling and ask them: "What are the most powerful forces that can undercut a marriage between a husband and wife?"

The list will go something like this:

1. Money

2. Children

3. Work/Home Balance, lots of travel by a spouse

There are probably a half dozen other factors on the list I can't think of. I'm sure that "two women living in the house 4 doors away and planting a garden" is not on the list.

I have always thought of Thomasville as being one of the most depressing towns with in the Triad area. Thomasville's future is pretty bleak in my opinion. I just don't see the town really ever progressing, infact they have lost industry after industry over the past few years. Everytime I visit there I feel like I have went back in time about 50 years. I cannot imagine being gay and living in Thomasville. Most gay people I know are trendy forward thinkers and would never settle in a place like Thomasville.

Don't they have anything better to do in Thomasville, NC than to make sure their gays and lesbians aren't marrying each other? Besides, could there even be that many gay people in Thomasville? This is as earth-shattering as that town in Vermont that "impeached" Bush. It simply doesn't matter.

What if Lumberton and Kenly and Statesville and Rockingham and Taylorsville and all the other small towns throughout the state start banning gay marriage? Still won't matter. Because the last place I would go if I were gay would be a small southern town.

Get with the program, Thomasville. Do something useful.

Strongly disagree with the sentiment that they don't care about gays & lesbians in China or that bigots have moved their targets from race to sexuality.

That being said this issue of "gay marriage" and the current need for our society to rethink what marriage means has the potential to be far reaching. Ie, if our society allows marriage btwn same sex couples, why couldn't it also allow polygamous ones? If its unfair to define marriage as soley btwn a man & a woman, is it any less unfair to define marriage a purely a monogamous union? Currently, the union btwn man & woman and the assumed (and usual) product of that union - children - has been given special status and priviledges in our society. That priviledged status is already inherently unfair to single people with no intention of getting married to anyone regardless of gender and to people who choose to have children outside of the boundaries of legal marriage, etc. But seemingly enough people agree with the reasoning behind that priviledge that its tolerated and accepted.

From a personal standpoint (in terms of my daily life), gay people living together, raising children, and/or marrying doesn't affect me and I'm not sure is any more or less problematic than various other types of circumstances. But I do understand that there is a need for more discussion & debate on what marriage means and its purpose in our society. It seems that there is a segment of our country that is very clear and have a (relatively speaking) very narrow definition that they believe is important to keep - see Thomasville. The rest of us better get on the ball & figure out where we stand, why, and how far we are willing to take this because its always easier (I suspect) for people advocate the benefit of limiting things than it is to advocate opening things up - particularly when it comes across to many as very open ended.

The issue about Gay marriage for Gays and Lesbians isn't one of children, nor does it have anything to do with religion, nor the status of the marriage of straight people. It is one of legal position. The civil government bestowes many rights such as survivorship, inheritance rights, entitlement rights, and who gets to make medical decisions based the marriage status.

For example if one of the parties becomes critically injured and goes to the hospital, the spouse automatically gains power of attourney and medical power of attourney over the condition of their spouse. They have the right to go and sit with their spouse in the hospital. In contrast, a gay spouse does not have these rights and there have been many cases where they have been denied access to their lifelong partner in a hospital by families who don't agree with homosexuality. I personally know a couple who had been together for 20 years. One of the couple got cancer went to the hospital, and then his sister stopped the spouse from having anything to do with his partner at that point. The law was on the sister's side. The guy died without his partner there. It was a heartless and cold act but one that could have been prevented if the government recognized the rights of gay partners to get married. (they can call them civil unions, I don't really care about that)

There are many other examples of where the civil government bestowes these kinds of rights to spouses and the only thing that Gays and Lesbians are asking for with Gay marriage is the same legal standing.

The people who are against Gay marriage are really against Gays and Lesbians in general and often for misguided religous or other bigoted reasons. They of course won't say this and instead hid behind "lets protect the santitiy of marriage" to disguise their bigotry.

The Thomasville city council has decided to endorse a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. I personally, being a gay man, am outraged that a town in my metro area could even think of doing this. Well, Thomasville won't be getting any money from my hands anytime in the forseeable future. :angry:

The issue about Gay marriage for Gays and Lesbians isn't one of children, nor does it have anything to do with religion, nor the status of the marriage of straight people. It is one of legal position. The civil government bestowes many rights such as survivorship, inheritance rights, entitlement rights, and who gets to make medical decisions based the marriage status.

IBurton, thanks for taking off your white sheet and letting us really see your ugly bigoted face on this thread. At least from now on, everyone will know the type of mindset you operate from on this forum. It is important for us to realize that despite all the societal progress we have made, there are still those who harbor primitive, prejudiced views like yours. Even worse, they justify their revolting bigotry with a veneer of religious rhetoric. Thankfully, such opinions are in amazingly rapid decline, particularly amongst the younger, well-educated and more urban populations.

Moreover, Iburton's religious views are not mine. Many of us attend churches and denominations that bless same-sex unions and support gay rights, so who says Iburton's rightwing extremist religion should set public policy? Keep your kooky, primitive religious beliefs out of the lives of people who don't assent to your beliefs.

Also, the term alternative lifestyle is an archaic, outdated word. The term used by modern society is "sexual orientation."

Archived