Thomasville takes stand on Marriage Equality

suburban george3

After getting my legs switched a while back, I haven't posted much on the forum in several months, but this is a topic that I can't resist.

Up until 5 years ago, I had spent my entire life in Thomasville. DCmetroRaleigh, Triadguy37, and JDC pretty much hit the nail on the head with their comments concering Thomasville. Thomasville was a city that at one time had great potential, but due decisions made by the local politicians over the past 15 or so years, the city is dying a slow painful death. One of the main problems facing the city now is the fact that the largest majority of people living there now have given up on the local government. Knowing that the elected city leaders are a bunch of clowns. when election time rolls around, no one will go vote. Their thinking is why waste my time, so the same bunch of clowns are re-elected again, and again.

I was visiting some old friends yesterday in Thomasville, and was asked if I missed living there. My answer was "If some one would say, I'll give you the nicest house in town if you move back, my answer would be HELL NO!!!!"

If you need a good laugh, visit one of their city council meetings. They meet the 3rd Monday of each month on the second floor of the Police Dept. Building. The meetings start at 7:00 pm and last a couple of hours (most of the time). I promise, its better than going to the circus.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurricane, I think it is a confluence of factors including:

1. Scienific consensus that sexual orientation is innately determined and is naturally diverse not only in humans but in animals. As more people are educated and rely upon science and academic experts to inform them, the old misconceptions are dying.

2. Decline of strict gender roles. WHile sexual orientation is not the same as gender identity or gender issues, the decline of social expectations that people conform to strict gender roles has benefited gay and bisexual persons because same-sex relationships defy previous expectations that people restrict romantic relationships to people of the opposite sex. Moreover, if society thinks discriminating against people based upon gender is wrong, it is apt to also think that the gender that one falls in love with is not that big a deal and discrimination on that basis is also wrong.

3. The number of openly gay or bisexual persons--As Philldog says, having so many people who are openly gay or bisexual in society means that many people know that the myths and lies about gays and bisexuals just aren't true. People see up close loving committed same-sex relationships, and have personalized the issue. Today, when someone says something homophobic, they run the risk of offending someone who has a gay pastor, gay mother, gay brother, gay pastor, or the listener may be gay themselves.

4. Urbanization--Polls and experience tell us the more urban a place is, the more gay-friendly it is like to be. As the nation urbanizes, it is likely to have more people living in areas with gay-friendly climate.

5. Youth--Young people are growing up in a time where open same-sex relationships are everywhere, including in their households. They have gay couples at proms, watch shows with gay characters, even double date with same-sex couples. This familiarity has fostered a young generation that is very comfortable with same-sex relationships and rejects homophobia. On many high school and college campuses, the Gay-Straight Alliance is one of the most popular clubs on campus, and students where t-shirts that proclaim, "Gay? Fine by Me," which was started by Duke.

6. Media--When you grow up in a time where Brokeback Mountain is a box office hit and wins critical claim, you know times have changed.

What a stupid idea. What does gay marriage have to do with Thomasville, North Carolina? Oh I get it, they must want to make their city look backwards, depressing, and stupid. I bet the Chamber of Commerce came up with it. I can see their city slogan now: "Turn or Burn!" Give me a break. I go to the Triad all the time and I've never heard of this little place.

What's the deal with all these little towns making these huge statements anyway? Just make sure my trash and recycling are picked up, the police are there if I get hurt, firefighters put out my fires, and we're cool.

What a stupid idea. What does gay marriage have to do with Thomasville, North Carolina? Oh I get it, they must want to make their city look backwards, depressing, and stupid. I bet the Chamber of Commerce came up with it. I can see their city slogan now: "Turn or Burn!" Give me a break. I go to the Triad all the time and I've never heard of this little place.

What's the deal with all these little towns making these huge statements anyway? Just make sure my trash and recycling are picked up, the police are there if I get hurt, firefighters put out my fires, and we're cool.

The problem with Thomasville is that their town is obviously run by people that forget to separate church and state. They let their religious views dictate their stand and not what is best for the community or they don't have the best glasses on when they are looking at their community which is deteriorating quicker than they can imagine.

Getting married should be a church event, then go to the govt and get a 'cvil union', whether you are straight, bi or gay. If you want to skip the marriage thing at the church then fine.

The state part should be open for anyone because it is a legal union to recognize a partnership of two people and give legal rights as a family.

As for Thomasville, they just don't have any other problem in their town to solve (ha). Their jobs are going well, etc. (ha again).

I am starting to notice that some politicians pick topics that need to be fixed and will benefit everyone, while other politicians pick topics that need to be left to the individual and fussing with it will not benefit anyone.

Makes us want to vote those people out of office. :shok:

I live in Wilmington and as a gay man in a 12 year relationship, Thomasville will never see any money from me either.

Remember Anita Bryant and the Florida orange juice when she talked about the gays? That boycott was a major stink. I didnt drink FL O.J. for about three years. :angry:

I don't think Thomasville can't afford anything near a boycott. Get with the program Thomasvilel adn get you head out of your....well... out of the sand.

I suggest they are changing b/c more people are finally getting to know more gay people and realizing that we don't poise a threat to heterosexuals or society.

I'm sorry Thomasville has taken this action but (correct me if I'm wrong....) pleased that NC is one of only a handful of states that has rejected taking any action on the subject of a (state) constitutional ban on gay marriage in spite of it being raised during the past several legislative sessions.

I am so tired of people referring to the Bible and religion when defending their stance on gays and lesbians. The Bible was written long ago, much of it metaphorically, and is not intended to be followed word for word. Example: Johnny Appleseed sowing seeds-He was actually sowing the seeds of Christianity. Example: The Bible says that man should should demonstrate his faith by playing with serpents. Anybody tossing around live snakes in their hands next Sunday?

Homosexuality is a part of life. People cannot change or be persuaded to change their orientation, and gays and lesbians deserve the right to pursue happiness just like everyone else. Stop the ignorant persecution of what is America's most despised minority. The suicide rate for gay teens is three times higher than the normal rate.

North Carolina is great for lesbians, but not for young gay men, who need to head for a city where they can hold another guy's hand while walking down the street. Try that in NC!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Davidson County (where Thomasville is located) has also decided to support a vote for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. While some commissioners claim that this resolution isn't for or against gay marriage, just to give residents the right to vote on it; others claim that the commissioners have no business getting involved in such matters. Interesting as well, the commissioner who drafted the bill waited until AFTER the elections to put it on the table.

I guess the hundreds of jobs lost in this county is just not as concerning to the board.....

WSJ article on Davidson Co. Commissioners Resolution

^ Oh man, I'd forgotten I'd about Thomasville. So, from the article it seems they're urging North Carolina to move forward with a vote on a gay marriage ban? Even if you believe that there should be a gay marriage ban (which I don't), isn't the proper way to go about doing it is getting your local state senators to go to Raleigh and do it?

When exactly did they come to this conclusion? I can see the agenda for the evening now: "Okay, council persons, tonight we we will be voting on how often we should pick up recycling, if the new Walmart's lights are too bright for their neighbors, and whether the State of North Carolina should move forward with banning gay marriage." :blink:

^ Not really sure. I think the NC Baptists are affiliated with the Southern Baptists, and to be honest, I expect that the majority of the "open" churches that DCMetroRaleigh listed had already severed ties (or had their ties severed) with the Southern Baptist Convention. Although maybe still affiliated with the NC Baptists, I"m sure the same had also happened.

A similar vote happened last year in Georgia, and the Baptist churches affected just shrugged it off---I don't think they really cared one way or the other. It's funny because these churches tend to have wealthy and educated members, so these associations really miss out on a lot of money when the cut ties with these churches.

P.S., thanks for the quote. I got that from the famous Reverend Phelps!!!!

The resolution adopted by the NC Baptist Convention is one of the most intrusive resolutions passed to date by a religious body. It gives NC Baptists the ability to actually formally investigate churches that go against this resolution. The Southern Baptist Resolution actually kind of turns the other cheek to these churches as they have no means or current plans to investigate churches that go against their resolution, so it's not as forceful as the NC Baptist Convention's.

Separation of Church and State. Can the concept be more simple and more thrown to the side. Those that wish to prevent us homos from getting married to each other have no other justification other than the Bible - any arguement really will boil down to that. Without the religious context, who cares who gets hitched and suddenly receives all kinds of societal, legal, and tax benefits?

I am tired of hearing ANY arguement in government that has a basis in religion -- and I believe in God. Jesus didn't run for office, nor did he use the government to further his teachings. Why can't this simple and consise rule be followed.

Other than that the very concept of "preserving" the "sanctity" of marriage is pitiful. Divorce, spousal abuse, adultery...marriage has nothing left to save. The Church provides a religious platform for marriage and blesses unions if they choose, the government is in the business of maintaining civil contracts and doling out rights -- keep those two things in the place where they belong.

How many decades ago was it that blacks couldn't marry whites? Look how stupid the supporters of that then look now. It is only a matter of time.

Archived