Huntsville International Airport

jmanhsv

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New service to Alabama's second busiest airport.

This will compliment the nonstops to Reagan.

At one time HSV had 6 daily nonstops to Dulles on Independence before

they went under :(

By MARIAN ACCARDI

Times Business Writer [email protected]

New western flight to start Feb. 14, eastern leg April 9

Huntsville International Airport is getting nonstop service to two new destinations, Washington-Dulles and Denver, United Airlines announced Wednesday.

The service to Denver is scheduled to begin Feb. 14; twice daily service to Washington-Dulles begins April 9.

Yep now all we need is an east-west interstate going throught the city, southern bypass, memorial parkway overpasses, widening of winchester/53 and several other main roads, some more buildings downtown, more funding for new schools, etc.
Edited by Leonard23

With these new flights to Denver, I guess we don't have a need to go after Frontier anymore.

This is great news. United was the airline that we needed because of its hub at Dulles. And United is in both Nashville and Birmingham as well, giving a little hope for Southwest coming to Huntsville International....

With these new flights to Denver, I guess we don't have a need to go after Frontier anymore.

This is great news. United was the airline that we needed because of its hub at Dulles. And United is in both Nashville and Birmingham as well, giving a little hope for Southwest coming to Huntsville International....

• 4 weeks later...

This is part of the concourse and terminal eapnsion

A contract to relocate and upgrade mechanical equipment has been awarded to Smith Services of Decatur, which submitted a low bid of $1.53 million. Airport officials also are finalizing a deal with Martin & Colby Inc. of Athens for mechanical and other work to prepare for widening the connector. That company submitted a low bid in the amount of $3.51 million.

http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes....xml&coll=1

Edited by HSVTiger

• 4 weeks later...

this probably effects everyone in the Eastern US the same way.

By MARIAN ACCARDI

Times Business Writer [email protected]

Huntsville may soon see one-stop flights to China.

The federal government on Tuesday proposed giving United Airlines the right to operate a new nonstop daily flight between Washington Dulles International Airport and Beijing's China Peking Capital Airport. The service will start March 25 if the tentative decision of the U.S. Transportation Department becomes final.

That service would give Huntsville International Airport travelers one-stop access to China because United will start twice-daily flights from Huntsville to Washington Dulles International Airport beginning April 9.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

• 3 weeks later...

Frontier Airlines is creating a new airline, and one of the airports it notified was Huntsville International. From the Denver Post.

"Frontier Airlines' new Westminster-based subsidiary, Lynx Aviation Inc. has applied for federal certification from the U.S. Department of Transportation. Lynx will fly turboprop planes to Rocky Mountain destinations and other small airports. Frontier Airlines Holdings Inc. is providing $40 million of start-up capital to Lynx. Lynx will fly Bombardier Q400 planes with 74 seats during the summer and 70 seats during the winter when more space is used for skis and other luggage. The application to the DOT was also sent to airport managers around the country who have expressed an interest in Frontier."

Edited by jmanhsv

Frontier Airlines is creating a new airline, and one of the airports it notified was Huntsville International. From the Denver Post.

"Frontier Airlines' new Westminster-based subsidiary, Lynx Aviation Inc. has applied for federal certification from the U.S. Department of Transportation. Lynx will fly turboprop planes to Rocky Mountain destinations and other small airports. Frontier Airlines Holdings Inc. is providing $40 million of start-up capital to Lynx. Lynx will fly Bombardier Q400 planes with 74 seats during the summer and 70 seats during the winter when more space is used for skis and other luggage. The application to the DOT was also sent to airport managers around the country who have expressed an interest in Frontier."

Of note, Frontier's regional service on ERJ 170's is adding Louisville to their list of new destinations for 2007. I think HSV could be in the running for such a service if the need arises. Frontier is also increasing their flights into Nashville from three to four daily flights, with their three times a week flight to Mexico continuing from Nashville as well. HSV seems poised for a Frontier regional service soon IMO.

Warehouse space being added at the Jetplex Industrial Park adjacent to the airport.

http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes....xml&coll=1

" ribbon-cutting ceremony is scheduled for Tuesday for a 208,000-square-foot speculative distribution center in the northern part of the park between Interstate 565 and Short Pike Road. The developer and owner is Graham & Co. Inc., a Birmingham-based commercial real estate and development firm.

The company also has an option on an additional 49 acres for second and third phases, said Kracke.

The sale of 18.7 acres on James Record Road, also in Jetplex North, to Huntsville-based Triad Acquisitions Group should close in the next few months. Triad's development project includes a 146,000-square-foot speculative warehouse distribution center and a two-story office building.

There was a lack of large space available in the park in the 50,000-square-foot to 100,000-square-foot range. "We now have something to market," said Kracke. "This gives us a good inventory."

Yet another project ahead is a 300,000-square-foot plant for International Truck and Engine Corp., the principal operating subsidiary of Navistar International Corp.

More than 175 employees are expected to work at the assembly plant, where Class 8 truck "big-bore" diesel engines will be produced."

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a day down at HSV with my lovely wife and fellow aviation enthusiast from Huntsville. I must say, it is really nice and the cargo side is very impressive! The airport isn't as large or busy as BNA is, but what it lacks in passenger traffic it more than makes up with cargo traffic. That in and of itself is very impressive. The ability to have every mode of transportation available at your disposal is perfect and the ease at which one has to access those modes is unheard of. The leaders of HSV should be very proud of their accmoplishments. I, for one, envy their vision and ability to follow through with that vision. My hats off to them. Your airport is head and shoulders above many in this region that are twice your size. I took a bunch of pictures, but have agreed to keep them off the net. If you would like to see them, I would be happy to email you a couple for you viewing pleasure so long as you keep them off the net as well. All the best, and I will be back to visit this spring!!

Michael D.

Nashville Aviation Photographers

I spent a day down at HSV with my lovely wife and fellow aviation enthusiast from Huntsville. I must say, it is really nice and the cargo side is very impressive! The airport isn't as large or busy as BNA is, but what it lacks in passenger traffic it more than makes up with cargo traffic. That in and of itself is very impressive. The ability to have every mode of transportation available at your disposal is perfect and the ease at which one has to access those modes is unheard of. The leaders of HSV should be very proud of their accmoplishments. I, for one, envy their vision and ability to follow through with that vision. My hats off to them. Your airport is head and shoulders above many in this region that are twice your size. I took a bunch of pictures, but have agreed to keep them off the net. If you would like to see them, I would be happy to email you a couple for you viewing pleasure so long as you keep them off the net as well. All the best, and I will be back to visit this spring!!

Michael D.

Nashville Aviation Photographers

• 3 weeks later...

By JOHN PECKTimes Staff Writer [email protected]

A push is on for a new river port just south of Huntsville International Airport that would receive barge shipments of gasoline, diesel and jet fuel and possibly alternative fuel sources such as ethanol.

The plan would require a 200-foot-wide barge canal through a portion of Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge to an unloading dock. The petroleum would be piped from there to the airport and to a proposed tank farm somewhere near interstates 565 and 65, according to a document obtained by The Times.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

• 2 weeks later...

Three more economic development projects were approved for Jetplex Park today by the Airport Authority. One is a 300,000 sq ft facility for International Truck and Engine, where they will manufacture new "big-bore" diesel engines for trucks. The $42 million facility is expected to be completed in March 2008, and will initially provide 70 jobs with plans to expand to 175 by 2011. The other two projects will have a combined total of 245 jobs and a payroll of about $12M a year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

By Jay Boehmer

APRIL 02, 2007 -- Registered Traveler program provider FLO Alliance last week detailed a business model that focuses on joint marketing programs and additional traveler benefits beyond the core expedited airport security lane offering. The alliance, which includes Saflink, Microsoft and Johnson Controls, last month signed Huntsville, Ala., International Airport, as its first airport partner. Meanwhile, other entrants are making their way toward the Registered Traveler space, as more airports make way to open lanes.

http://www.btnmag.com/businesstravelnews/h...t_id=1003565619

the new 219' ATC tower is nearing completion. It is quite striking when seen from I-565 especially

when glancing over to 96' existing tower. It should be complete by June.

In addition the new taxiway" L" will also be completed this summer. The airport will now be able to handle

all aircraft in use or future use including a fully loaded mammoth Airbus 380 Freighter, if it is ever built.

Currently Airbus is focusing on the passenger version.

The 747-8 freighter will be no problem either, Cargo Lux which will use this freighter most likely on it's

Hong Kong/HSV flights.

051114h2.jpg

A380freighter_1.jpg

Construction has begun on the new engine plant for International (Navistar)

at the airport.

The new engines, the largest in the MaxxForce family of commercial-truck diesel engines, will be built at a new assembly plant in Huntsville. The investment cost is not being disclosed.

More than 175 employees are expected to work at the new facility. Full production at Huntsville will begin in spring 2008. Initial engines will be partially assembled in Germany and finished and trimmed in Huntsville and will be available beginning in fall 2007.