College students volunteering:

Snowguy716

Since there are so many threads here that basically like to blame young people for social ills in this country, I thought I'd post this article from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10/16/co...r.ap/index.html

A new study shows that more incoming freshmen show interest in volunteering than in 25 years.

I see this a lot in younger people. There is a genuine interest to want to volunteer. There is also ample opportunity to do so. Many have gone to New Orleans to help rebuild. Hell, I even went down and picked up garbage and helped build houses back in 2001, before Katrina came around.

People build houses for poor people in Appalachia, they do outreach missions in Africa...

I know this doesn't represent younger people in general, but some examples of what some of my friends do:

They help out at the humane society walking dogs and working the desk.

They participate in Adopt a Highway programs (I've done it like 4 times.. it's a good time, especially if there's dinner afterwards).

-Soup kitchens

-Bringing elderly from the nursing home down to a park for an afternoon (Many have families that don't have time or don't commit time.. and nothing pleases many of these people more than some sun and fresh air).

-Giving blood

Other things that I've done:

Volunteered for a week in Alaska for the DNR clearing trails at a state park.

Reading buddies program: Go to a local elementary school to read to/with kids (Through Target Corp.)

There are so many things that people can do... there's a volunteer opportunity out there for you where you can do something you love. Also, what a great way to meet people... and even build a resume.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't surprise me too much. In today's competitive world, being able to put that on your resume is getting close to being a requirement, so I think a lot of it is that.

But I should also add that when I was at Chico State, there was a school-sponsored volunteer organization called CAVE, and it was the largest and by far the most popular student organization on campus. Probably at LEAST half the students will have been involved in it by graduation, if not more. And they do good stuff: go help out at old folks' homes, work the library, cleanup efforts, you name it, they did it. If I'd stayed, I'd have joined up too.

I don't volunteer to put it on my resume. In fact, I often forget what my volunteer experiences were and I don't include them.

I would like to think that most people do it out of the goodness of their hearts.. but there are a lot of people out there that will do ANYTHING (even if it's picking up garbage) to claw their way to the top, and this generation is no different.

At my University it's VISTO (Volunteer in service to others).. which is pretty big. But we also have alternative spring break. This year they're going to the Arizona/Mexico border to learn about border issues and do some community service projects.

My alma mater has been pushing to make community service a requirement for graduating for some years now. I like the idea in principle, but I don't think you should force people to volunteer. I think WANTING to volunteer is the key.

I don't volunteer to put it on my resume. In fact, I often forget what my volunteer experiences were and I don't include them.

I would like to think that most people do it out of the goodness of their hearts.. but there are a lot of people out there that will do ANYTHING (even if it's picking up garbage) to claw their way to the top, and this generation is no different.

At my University it's VISTO (Volunteer in service to others).. which is pretty big. But we also have alternative spring break. This year they're going to the Arizona/Mexico border to learn about border issues and do some community service projects.

I did a lot of community service while I was in high school, but since I work, do homework, and study all the time while I am in college not so much. I would volunteer more if I had the time, but I just don't. Even during spring break I have to work, so it is kinda impossible at the moment. However, maybe when I finally am a senior I will be able to do it more.

Archived