Konica Minolta Graphic Imaging relocating corporate HQ to Grand Rapids area

GRDadof3

#2 under "American Litho"

In addition to the 100+ jobs they've added in the past year, this move will add another production line, and move their entire graphic imaging division from New York to Foremost Drive in Kentwood (actually Caledonia), creating another 163 jobs.

Konica Minolta Graphic Imaging

They also say if things go well, they will possibly expand more in Kentwood.

WZZM article

Konica Minolta says the expansion in Kentwood will mean all types of manufacturing jobs, including operators, engineers, and quality control people.

The company's relocation of its U.S. graphic imaging corporate headquarters, will mean about 60 white collar office jobs.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope it sparks a "Where ever you go, others follow" type of chain reaction.

XRite just swallowed their largest competitor this year, Gretag MacBeth, so I don't think Konica Minolta is in the exact same business. They may share some similar optical technologies. KMGI is a Japanese company, and I believe a lot of their top management is Japanese, based on this press release when they purchased American Litho last year (which started this whole ball rolling).

Right now, I believe American Litho mainly makes printing plates and chemicals, but I would imagine KMGI will start developing much of their digital printing technology here, especially with the HQ moving here, and when they mention that "if things go well, they will look to expand further in Kentwood". Imagine if they open a Printer manufacturing facility here?

This is exactly the kind of high tech manufacturing we need more of.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone take a welcome basket to our new corporate neighbor? :thumbsup:

512490830_38f61d43fe.jpg

Since this new office isn't attached to manufacturing operations, it's too bad that they didn't choose downtown. I know ample free parking at this old Foremost HQ was probably pretty enticing.

If they could have waited they could have snapped up some space in the proposed office building for the Kinko's parking lot next to Plaza tower.

The corporate HQ will only have about 60 people to start off, so your maybe talking 20,000 square feet or so? I was picturing them sliding into an existing office building downtown, like Bridgewater Place.

I would venture to guess that they were well aware of the existence of downtown Grand Rapids when they chose their location. I applaud them for moving into an older, existing building in an existing office park and making it new again on the inside, regardless of it's location. Not every business in West Michigan is suited for downtown and many are simply not interested, it does not make them a bad corporate citizen. I would think the proximity of their corporate headquarters to the airport and to their manufacturing facilities were of greater importance than being heroes on this forum.

I would venture to guess that they were well aware of the existence of downtown Grand Rapids when they chose their location. I applaud them for moving into an older, existing building in an existing office park and making it new again on the inside, regardless of it's location. Not every business in West Michigan is suited for downtown and many are simply not interested, it does not make them a bad corporate citizen. I would think the proximity of their corporate headquarters to the airport and to their manufacturing facilities were of greater importance than being heroes on this forum.

Not a jab or barb in any way. Just an obvious observation that on this forum, companies that locate downtown are looked at like heroes and those that do not are looked at as being of lesser intelligence in their decision making.

The jabs and barbs on this forum flow freely without moderation toward about anybody that chooses to live, work, or do business outside of downtown Grand Rapids.

Actually, I think Centennial Park is another prime spot for infill, higher density, and/or new urbanism in the 'burbs. There's already some hint of it, although unintentional, with a low density mix of housing, commercial/office, hotel, even a few nearby restaurants and retail. Now if it could just be brought together as a whole package.... But once again, I don't thing the Cascade movers and shakers can quite grasp that.

I do applaud the fact that Konica did NOT build a new building way out in a greenfield in Gaines Township or wherever.

Actually, I think Centennial Park is another prime spot for infill, higher density, and/or new urbanism in the 'burbs. There's already some hint of it, although unintentional, with a low density mix of housing, commercial/office, hotel, even a few nearby restaurants and retail. Now if it could just be brought together as a whole package.... But once again, I don't thing the Cascade movers and shakers can quite grasp that.

I do applaud the fact that Konica did NOT build a new building way out in a greenfield in Gaines Township or wherever.

Archived