City of Vinings

Hybrid0NE

vinings_2.jpg

Vinings vote tied on cityhood study

By Craig Schneider

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/17/06

After two hours of verbal battles, Vinings residents evenly split their vote Monday on starting a study to become a city, leaving the issue undecided.

Board members of the Vinings Homeowners Association support getting the study and were hoping for a majority vote of their members Monday night to pursue it.

Board members said they would work over the next day or so to check the validity of the ballots in the 95-95 vote, which disappointed both sides.

"A tie

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I think Vinings could learn from Sandy Spring's mistakes and become a better city. They already have condo proposals and a small downtown area. They will become another large Atlanta job area. Not bad to me.

But then again, I have no clue. Atlanta should have did a Houston and annex everything in its path. That way, suburban cities would not incorporate and attract the businesses away from the central city. It is a bad situation going on in Dallas. The suburbs almost control the metroplex of 6.2 million. Another city that I can think of is Los Angeles, but that region is so large (22 million), that Los Angeles does not have to worry.

Imagine if Vinings incorporated and gave better tax rates and incentives to companies. Then if Sandy Springs did the same. Businesses would pack up and move, regardless of what kind of skyline Atlanta has. It won't matter because they would simply build suburban office parks. That then reminds me of San Antonio. A city whose Downtown is thriving with tourism, but businesses don't flourish there. The business centers of San Antonio are 20 miles northwest of Downtown. The all have suburban office parks as their corporate headquarters. A shame on San Antonio's part.

In the end, Vinings, don't incorporate :P.

Problem Trae is that more and more of the professionals that get the high pay are choosing to live in the city. A business that moves someplace out in the burbs will find that they have to pay a lot more to attract an intown profession to a job that requires a horrible commute. That's exactly what happened to my last company. They really liked me and I kept getting promoted but I ditched them for a company that is firmly planted intown. It would take a huge bundle of money to make me accept a job out in the suburbs.

Employers in the suburbs are also finding out that the "suburbs" are not a singluar place. Just because a majority of the metro population lives in the suburbs doesn't mean that they're close to your particular suburb. A business that locates in Cumming will find that the population of potential employees on the southside doesn't help them much. Commutes just get worse and worse and as more employees get sick of it and refuse to drive long distances, employers are going to need to be in a place that gives them easy access to the greatest number of potential employees.

That doesn't mean everyone is going to move into the city into highrises. The more unskilled the labor is, the easier it is to draw from the local labor pool where ever you are. So a company that does telemarketing for example can locate in any place where there are people and likely find enough of them who want to work for them. On the other hand, if you're a big corporation who needs highly educated and experienced individuals, plopping your office down in Woodstock is going to make it extremely difficult to find workers.

As far as Vinings goes, let them incorporate. County government are suppose to be rural governments. They're not designed for servicing the type of development and population that has popped up in the metro area. I do think that these cities should going existing cities rather than go it alone but since some cities such as Alpharetta don't really care to expand, these cities have to start up on their own. I think it will also be good in the sense that once the people in these cities no longer have anyone to blame for their problems but theirselves, cooperation across the metro will start to happen.

Problem Trae is that more and more of the professionals that get the high pay are choosing to live in the city. A business that moves someplace out in the burbs will find that they have to pay a lot more to attract an intown profession to a job that requires a horrible commute. That's exactly what happened to my last company. They really liked me and I kept getting promoted but I ditched them for a company that is firmly planted intown. It would take a huge bundle of money to make me accept a job out in the suburbs.

Employers in the suburbs are also finding out that the "suburbs" are not a singluar place. Just because a majority of the metro population lives in the suburbs doesn't mean that they're close to your particular suburb. A business that locates in Cumming will find that the population of potential employees on the southside doesn't help them much. Commutes just get worse and worse and as more employees get sick of it and refuse to drive long distances, employers are going to need to be in a place that gives them easy access to the greatest number of potential employees.

That doesn't mean everyone is going to move into the city into highrises. The more unskilled the labor is, the easier it is to draw from the local labor pool where ever you are. So a company that does telemarketing for example can locate in any place where there are people and likely find enough of them who want to work for them. On the other hand, if you're a big corporation who needs highly educated and experienced individuals, plopping your office down in Woodstock is going to make it extremely difficult to find workers.

As far as Vinings goes, let them incorporate. County government are suppose to be rural governments. They're not designed for servicing the type of development and population that has popped up in the metro area. I do think that these cities should going existing cities rather than go it alone but since some cities such as Alpharetta don't really care to expand, these cities have to start up on their own. I think it will also be good in the sense that once the people in these cities no longer have anyone to blame for their problems but theirselves, cooperation across the metro will start to happen.

^ Which is why businesses are in the suburbs to begin with, they moved closer to where the employees lived.

But regarding Vinings, I've thought of Cobb County's government to be mostly responsive to the residents needs. What I'm curious what would lead to Vining's incorporation, is if they manage to annex Cumberland Mall & the business district. Talk about a fat budget - but if not, it would be another Berkerly Lake.

Okay, can someone please help me understand why does Vinings want to become an independent city? If incorporation the new thing now? Just when we thought that this season's new black was red, apparently this season's new black is to incorporate. You can never have too many little incorporated cities....just like you can never have too many little black dresses. Vinings has the best road system in all of Cobb...unless I'm confusing Vinings with some other place. It's all so confusing anyway because now Vinings is in what i sued to think was Smryna.

Oh well, one day metro Atlanta will have 5000 cities....each with 1,000 residents. Sandy will break away from Springs because all of the development was going on in the southside of Sandy Springs. Johns will become disillusioned with Creek and two more cities will form. Some representative from Peachtree will get irrated with the high growth in City and Peachtree City will be no more.

Oh well........let's just hope all these fiefdoms can get along.

You joke, but I've already heard from people in the northern half of Sandy Springs who want to get rid of the southern half of the city. Apparently those on the southside of the city aren't rich enough for the northsiders. People in big homes on the 'hooch don't feel that they have a lot in common with those down inside the perimeter portion of the city.

My observations are based on a small number of people in northern neighborhoods along the river, so take their views with a grain of salt. There seem to be plenty of people in the metro who would be quite happy if their subdivision could declare itself an independent city.

Puberty is always difficult :)

My observations are based on a small number of people in northern neighborhoods along the river, so take their views with a grain of salt. There seem to be plenty of people in the metro who would be quite happy if their subdivision could declare itself an independent city.

Puberty is always difficult :)

Archived