Mecklenburg County wants to Ban Smoking in Restaurants

monsoon

Mecklenburg County wants to Ban Smoking in Restaurants  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mecklenburg County ban smoking in restaurants?

• No
    • Yes
  2. 2. Now that Mecklenburg has determined that it is unhealthy, will you go to restaurants that allow smokers?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point in asking about the airplanes is that it was government regulations that made them non-smoking...not the free market. The smoking airline you referred will be based in Germany and will not fly to the USA.

It has become obvious to me now that this is a public health issue. I know some people think this is a rights issue and that we could be going down a slippery slope, and the "what next" argument...but the bottom line is that we the people control our government...and if a majority don't like what they are doing, then we can force them to change.

It has become obvious to me now that this is a public health issue. I know some people think this is a rights issue and that we could be going down a slippery slope, and the "what next" argument...but the bottom line is that we the people control our government...and if a majority don't like what they are doing, then we can force them to change.

You know, the more I think about it, other than bars -- real bars, not the bar at Outback, I can't think of the last place I went that was actually very smoky at all. I don't go to restaurants that have smoke in them, I don't really think about it, but I don't. And I tend to eat out a good bit and all over the place...where does everyone go that this really applies to?

I can't remember the last restaurant I went to, other than Mantis on South, that I even noticed smoking -- and I hate the smell, I'm sure I would notice if it were prevalent.

Most businesses these days are smoke free...some even don't allow you to smoke at all on their property, even if you are outside. The bars and restarants are one of the last places of business that allow smoking indoors. In matters of public health I don't think we can depend on the free market to always take care of things. A lot of the restarants are asking for this regulation, and it appears a majority of the citizenry as well. And in this country majority rules...so I think its just a matter of time before smoking will not be allowed in restarants/bars in this county.

We were in KFC on Sunday to pick up a bucket of chicken as we were headed to see my wife's grandmother. Right in the corner of the entrance as you go in was an employee on his break puffing away at a cigarette and blowing it towards the kitchen. You could see the smoke pouring over into the cooking area and where the food was sitting already prepared. The smell was horrendous and after looking around I noticed that was the only person smoking in the entire restaurant. He ruined it for us and likely many others in there. We turned around and walked back out.

It is a shame that we can't go pick up a bucket of chicken from KFC because of one individual not having concern over my health or for the sake of serving chicken (at the restaurant he works at mind you) to the public that doesn't have all the chemicals in the smoke all over it.

Why is it so hard for smokers to just puff their cancer stick outside before coming into a restaurant. Why must they be so selfish as to subject others to their habit?

I went to the renaissance festival a couple of weeks ago and as this older lady passed us she blew smoke all in our faces. How could you not know you were blowing smoke into someone's face? Are non-smokers expected to just stay away from fun events like festivals? I know that is a completely different matter as it was not in a restaurant and more towards the goal of banning cigarettes altogether, but my point is that smokers seem to have no remorse or manners when they smoke in a restaurant, regardless if they allow smoking or not.

Neo I find it interesting that you were actually going to eat KFC chicken (2 pieces of fried chicken = 500 calories, 25 grams of fat, and 200 mg of cholesterol) but the fumes from one lit cigarette wafting over cooked food is what gave you pause.

I was with others and KFC was not my decision but that of course is no excuse at all for me being there. I would however rather eat 500 calories, 25 grams of fat, and 200mg of cholesterol once every six months (that's approximately how often I eat at KFC) than inhale second hand smoke several times each month. Point being in my story is that there is no reason for what happened to me at KFC or even the festival to be allowed. I would certainly sign off on a ban for cigarettes for the nation but I'm obviously not in charge.

I don't think cigarettes should be simply banned in restaurants, I think they should be banned everywhere considering their health effects for those who smoke and the innocent victims who have to breath the crap they put out. Of course, I would also be for a ban of automobiles that expelled a certain number of bad emissions into the environment so I am not simply doing this to make a statement but to reduce the effects on health for everyone.

That is two close people in my life who have died or have been severly altered due to drinking, however I KNOW OF NO ONE WHO IS DYING SOLELY OF SECOND HAND SMOKE!

Please read the following regarding second hand smoke:

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

A few of my favorite facts backing up the effects of second hand smoke:

• Secondhand smoke has been classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a known cause of cancer in humans

• Secondhand smoke causes approximately 3,400 lung cancer deaths and 22,700-69,600 heart disease deaths in adult nonsmokers in the United States each year.

• Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at work are at increased risk for adverse health effects. Levels of ETS in restaurants and bars were found to be 2 to 5 times higher than in residences with smokers and 2 to 6 times higher than in office workplaces.

• Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. Secondhand smoke is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year, and causes 1,900 to 2,700 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually

There are most certainly deaths associated with second hand smoke.

Medical costs are through the roof, so it makes this a societal issue and not a personal issue or a business issue.

Remember when planes had smoking allowed, and every time you got off the plane, your smelled like smoke and you coughed?

Restaurants are next, and eventually, not even smokers will think about it. But we'll all be more healthy.

As an HVAC designer, banning smoking in restaurants and bars is a no brainer. Instead of having to supply 100% fresh air to the space, we could recycle some of the air. This would also save the owner on their energy bill.

And speaking of smoking outside, I work in a building on Tryon Street where the intake for the HVAC is on the ground level at the back of the building. Smokers like to hang out in this area, and on several occasions, I have smelled cigarette smoke coming from the diffuser above me. With no operable windows, I have no choice but to breathe the "fresh air" coming from the building intake.

Charlotte Native...

I like your argument...except that my choice to eat bad foods in no way affects your health. period.

A smoker's decision to make an "unhealthy" choice directly affects my health when I am in the vicinity of the smoke.

I agree with the person who said that banning smoking in restaurants/bars is a great idea/law that also gives me philosophical pause. No one wants big government. But our government exists to protect us from ourselves (sometimes) (I know this is a VERY debatable point...just read it for the sake of the argument. ty)

Smoking stinks. Wouldn't it be nice to get smashed (only hurting your own liver), contribute to the financial wealth of a local taxi driver, stumble into your home and NOT wake up smelling like an ashtray the next morning? The hang over is bad enough without having to IMMEDIATELY put your hair in a pony tail the minute you get vertical.

Joking aside.

If they ban smoking in restaurants, it'll suck for a little bit. Smokers will complain..blah blah blah. Everyone complains when what they see as their "civil liberties" cut back in some way. But what about caring for the greater good of humanity? The greater good for the group is to ban smoking.

Smoking causes cancer to people who DO NOT SMOKE. Alcoholism causes cancer to people WHO drink (mental anguish and other emotional problems to those around them, maybe, but not life threatening disease). Eating a high fat diet makes ME fat - not you.

You used to be able to smoke in a hospital. You can't now. Why are we even debating this?

About the politeness of smokers - I am incredibly lucky...I am a nonsmoker (shocker there?) and about 90% of my friends smoke. They are the POLITEST, NICEST, smokers you could ever meet. 'course they make me go to those smoke laden bars and restaurants though... :)

Question though...if smoking in bars/restaurants is banned (or when)...will more families with small children think it is OK to go to a bar (say, sportsbar) they would have normally avoided because of the smoke? Because if that is the case...then LET THEM SMOKE THEIR CIGS! :D

Charlotte Native...

I like your argument...except that my choice to eat bad foods in no way affects your health. period.

A smoker's decision to make an "unhealthy" choice directly affects my health when I am in the vicinity of the smoke.

I agree with the person who said that banning smoking in restaurants/bars is a great idea/law that also gives me philosophical pause. No one wants big government. But our government exists to protect us from ourselves (sometimes) (I know this is a VERY debatable point...just read it for the sake of the argument. ty)

Smoking stinks. Wouldn't it be nice to get smashed (only hurting your own liver), contribute to the financial wealth of a local taxi driver, stumble into your home and NOT wake up smelling like an ashtray the next morning? The hang over is bad enough without having to IMMEDIATELY put your hair in a pony tail the minute you get vertical.

A2 your points are very valid...Drinking in and of itself is not a health risk, it is excessive drinking that is a health risk, and last I checked public drunkeness is illegal...as well as driving while intoxicated. Since we all agree that second hand smoking is a public health risk, why not ban smoking in public places?

Smoking is already banned at the workplace, at the courthouse, in city hall, at the hospital, in the airplane, etc.....so why not ban it at restarants and bars too?

Exactly uptown, public drunkenness is illegal. It is illegal to drink and drive and unfortunately some disobey they law. There are people who die from being stabbed with knives so should we ban the sale of knives in the US? Your argument comparing cigarettes to alcohol really doesn't have much backing as they are two different things in society and can be abused in different ways. There is no health risk being inches away from someone at a bar for hours while he/she is drinking but there is a health risk being inches away from someone at a bar for hours while he/she is smoking. Whether or not you drive drunk is a different case altogether as that is already made illegal so that law is already present. In fact, alcohol can be good for your health in small quantities, can you say the same about cigarettes?

Archived