Mecklenburg County wants to Ban Smoking in Restaurants

monsoon

Mecklenburg County wants to Ban Smoking in Restaurants  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mecklenburg County ban smoking in restaurants?

• No
    • Yes
  2. 2. Now that Mecklenburg has determined that it is unhealthy, will you go to restaurants that allow smokers?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Global Warming Supporters? Is this someone who thinks the earth should be warmed up more? It would seem to me that anyone who supports global warming needs an education. Exactly why do you think they are qualified to speak on the matter of smoking cigarettes in the city of Charlotte?

Well, according to many global warming supporters, the cows we raise for meat consumption are the single greatest cause for global warming. Bill Maher mentions this almost weekly on his HBO program. If one's action can cause harm to another via smoking, certainly, a comparison can be made to a possible regulation of meat consumption.

I will surrender to the fact that cows are one of the top "three" contributors of environmental issues but I can't surrender to the comment that they are the single greatest cause for global warming.

You can view the report that proves cows affect the environment here: http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/index.html as I'm certainly not going to discredit this fact.

What I will discredit is your linking the banning of cigarettes in public spaces with the banning of cows in the world. You do realize that cows offer other purposes as well, right? Not only do they give milk and food (obviously we need meat from all kinds of sources to feed the billions of people around the world each day) but they also give farmers organic fertilizer (manure) and a host of other benefits such as leather.

Can you still compare meat from cows with restricting cigarettes in public restaurants? Cigarettes (and yes, second hand smoke) are a top contributor to health issues. I'll give just one fact regarding second hand smoke from cigarettes per the American Lung Association document here: http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

Secondhand smoke has been classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a known cause of cancer in humans

What more evidence do you need?

^Global Warming Supporters? Is this someone who thinks the earth should be warmed up more? It would seem to me that anyone who supports global warming needs an education. Exactly why do you think they are qualified to speak on the matter of smoking cigarettes in the city of Charlotte?

Archived