An I-10 megalopolis?

Rardy

Given the development of the past decade and the effects of Hurricane Katrina, the I-10 corridor between Houston and Pensacola, FL has become increasingly urbanized.

There is a notable gap in development between Baytown, TX and Winnie, TX, as well as the Atchafalaya Basin, but the 550-mile stretch is becoming increasingly trafficked and populated. Some of the region's fastest growing MSA's are in this stretch of highway.

What do you think this means for the cities in the middle? Do you even see this as feasible/possible/problematic? What are your ideas to protect open land, and where do you see the region in 10-25 years?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that our federal government and the state of Louisiana needs to widend I-10/ I-12 another lane in each direction between Houston, TX and Pensacola just to help aid in evacuations.

Lord knows that it will be easier to get around Louisiana....you make good time on I10 until you hit the state line, then all the slow traffic runs into the left lane and limits your speed to about 65mph. The rules are that if you are in the left lane, you should be passing....and even so, you should be watching your rear view for faster cars that may be flashing their lights or honking their horn, in which case you politely move right and let them by. Too many stupid people and truckers in Louisiana to have that happen. It creates a rolling roadblock- and those idiots look at me like I am crazy when I honk and try to get around them.

We need better drivers in this state, and our troopers need to crackdown on lane discipline a little more and speeding a little less.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. I fight with lane hogs daily, during the morning rush and evening rush and it ticks me off to no end. I can completely understand if there's a long line of traffic. Of course there's a hog up there somewhere holding everyone up, but the 30 people behind him can't help that.

I speed like a mutha... but I have respect for my fellow drivers and I refuse to hog a lane. When I'm passing, I have no problem getting up to 100+ in order to get around someone and keep the flow going. Typically at 90+ mph I'm among the fastest on the freeway... most people tend to go 75-85. Seldom does anyone pass me, and when they try, I let them. Like this morning on I-49, for instance. I was flying along in the left lane at about 90, passing everyone. It seems on I-49 most people drive 60-70 because the cops patrol that road heavily. But I've never been failed by my trusty radar detector. Anyway, remember I was going about 90 mph... this guy came FLYING up on me like I was sitting still. I finished passing the cars that were going about 60 and I got out of his way. I figured if he was going THAT much over 100, something had to be up. Maybe an emergency, maybe running from the cops, who knows... but I wasn't going to stand in his way.

I can see parts of I-10 becoming something of a megalopolis, but I don't think that all of it will be. There are vast stretches in western Louisiana which will likely remain rural for a long time. The Mississippi portion of the stretch may well become urbanized over time, as will areas near Baton Rouge and New Orleans. As for the stretch between Beaumont and Houston, I think this could well be developed, but not immediately.

Archived