Changes @ G.Fox/960 Main

grock

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Global Gourmet has some cool plans (granted this was from a month ago, so some/much can change)

They have the rights to not only global gourmet, but Mezzanine as well. And the mezzanine raps around three quarters of the hallway, up to the front of the building (maybe stops at the art gallery). Their plans are to make Global Gourmet into a new restaurant, American style on the first floor (was global gourmet), and make the 2nd floor mezzanine into a bar with pool tables/dart boards/etc as well as a private area for small parties. The plans looked really cool, i've tried the food there that they might serve at the new restaurant and it was unbelievable. Should be a fan favorite of the UHA crowd at the Temple Building nearby, and should further portray Pratt/Main STreet as a (THE) destination.

There is no connection to City Steam, but the venue will be similar offering casual dining with a large bar and pool tables upstairs. The Mezzanine jazz club will remain as a separte entity, but that place needs some serious promotion. Whenever I have been up there, it hasn't been very busy.

The Indian restaurant is owned and run by a successful operator. I think its Ambassador to India.

The banquet facility should be open by the first week in December. Its a disappointing use for this property fronting Main St which is perfect for a high end restaurant. Restaurant prospects however have come and gone over the last 3 years in that spot so something is better than nothing. That area of Main St. needs cleaning up. Panhandling, shady characters and car break-ins are regular occurances. If you really want a marquee restaurant in that space, the bus stop out front needs to be moved and there needs to be an overall better police presence (not just for writing tickets).

The group that owns the 960 Main St building is the same group that owned Global Gourmet and presently owns the Mezzanine, the banquet facility and the new Paramount (if that's what they call it).

The Mezzanine space does not come up to the front of the building. Room 960 occupies the mezzanine at the front of the building down to the jewelery store. Mezzanine only comes up as far as the convenience store and back as far as the framing store. It does however run out to Talcottt St. Since the operators are the same as the landlords, they can do just about whatever they want.

A new banquet facility is being built on the Main Street ground level.

An Indian restaurant is coming to the Market Street side of the building.

Global Gourmet is becoming the Paramount Cafe, some sort of connection to CIty STeam, not sure.

New signage.

I wish they could consolidate the huge bus traffic 1) in front of the Old State House, 2) On the south side of Central Row, and 3) on Market St. in front of One Constitution Plaza. Maybe in the (mostly) unused space of State House Square (that was never a good idea, they should have left that a road). It can become a transportation center once the commuter train starts and the monorail and trolley line are finished!

I wish they could consolidate the huge bus traffic 1) in front of the Old State House, 2) On the south side of Central Row, and 3) on Market St. in front of One Constitution Plaza. Maybe in the (mostly) unused space of State House Square (that was never a good idea, they should have left that a road). It can become a transportation center once the commuter train starts and the monorail and trolley line are finished!

I agree there is no reason a that we need buses to stop every single block. People need to learn how to walk a little again, I mean really, people can't walk from G. Fox to the Old State House and vice versa? Without the redundant stops, we could allow more street parking.

I think we should tell the DOT and even Ct transit, spread the stops a little bit please! This especially applies outside the city center, the buses stop every 50 feet, and it makes me not want to ride them!

Archived