More annexations

bluff2085

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...5073996,00.html

City to annex 2 areas totalling roughly 9 sq. mi and 35,000 residents.

One downside I see to all this annexation is how little control Memphis has over the development. Suburban sprawl keeps chuggin along, and the city just comes in and puts a fat "Memphis" stamp on it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...5073996,00.html

City to annex 2 areas totalling roughly 9 sq. mi and 35,000 residents.

One downside I see to all this annexation is how little control Memphis has over the development. Suburban sprawl keeps chuggin along, and the city just comes in and puts a fat "Memphis" stamp on it.

? If you mean metro, no, since these areas are already in the Memphis metro. If you mean city population, it's still no, because we are already about 100,000 people ahead of Nashville in that regard. it may push us over a city or 2 in the top cities in the U.S. I think we are at #17 right now, but I may be wrong.

I'm just glad that the people who are annexed are now contributing their fair share. When you have density that high, you should be part of the city. You can't pull that don't want to be in a city excuse. I don't see any benefit of allowing people to have the benefits of a city without paying their fair share.

I'm just glad that the people who are annexed are now contributing their fair share. When you have density that high, you should be part of the city. You can't pull that don't want to be in a city excuse. I don't see any benefit of allowing people to have the benefits of a city without paying their fair share.

There are 2 things I can always guarantee to occur, 1) Memphis is going to continue to annex land in Shelby County and 2) Charlotte will do the same in Mecklenberg County, NC.

Well, at least your central city would have any problems such as losing population for the time being. :thumbsup:

it doesnt really boost the population when people start moving out within 5 years.

I know when our house got annexed by memphis its value dropped about 22,000 dollars... that hurts a lot. and until memphis can fix its problems on the inside and make it more desireable for homeowners, I dont they should be annexing... bigger government isnt better. Cities like Pittsburg and St louis have very large metropolitin areas, but the actual city portion is small... and i think it works well.

it doesnt really boost the population when people start moving out within 5 years.

I know when our house got annexed by memphis its value dropped about 22,000 dollars... that hurts a lot. and until memphis can fix its problems on the inside and make it more desireable for homeowners, I dont they should be annexing... bigger government isnt better. Cities like Pittsburg and St louis have very large metropolitin areas, but the actual city portion is small... and i think it works well.

I think overall it hurts St. Louis to have all the toy towns around. I don't know about Pittsburgh. I know back when the toy town legislation craze hit Memphis, all the proponents pointed to St. Louis. I doubt 90% of them knew of all the problems that the St. Louis metro experienced by having toy towns. that's not to say that a bigger StLCity would be better, but you have to watch out what you ask for, and be aware of all the negatives that go with it.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Daily News:

1. The city has never lost a lawsuit fighting annexation

2. This latest round of annexations will boost us over the 700,000 mark

3. It is 40 miles from downtown to the eastern edge of the city limits past Cordova (that would have to be driving distance, and even that seems about 10-12 miles too high...)

Criteria for selecting areas to annex include density of more than 1,000 per square mile and 75% developed. Those areas are essentially already urbanized - it makes sense that they should be included in a city.

• 2 weeks later...

Annexing the Bridgewater and SE Shelby areas will mean $100,000,000.00 extra for the city over the next 5 years, per today's CA.

The areas all have more than the benchmark 1,000 people per square mile. There is an issue also because Countrywood students have to stop attending county schools next year, and the city schools in the area are all full.

It doesn't seem annexation slowed Cordova down a bit. I saw recently where they had 1,400 new home starts YTD compared to 1,300 last YTD.

Archived