More annexations

bluff2085

Lakeland and Germantown are the only cities in Shelby County that have annexed all of their reserve area. So, Memphis, Bartlett, Arlington, Collierville, and Millington can still grow their borders. I suppose that when 2030 (or whenever the target year for the long-term growth plan is) comes, annexation reserves may be revisited. I'm not sure about that though.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lakeland and Germantown are the only cities in Shelby County that have annexed all of their reserve area. So, Memphis, Bartlett, Arlington, Collierville, and Millington can still grow their borders. I suppose that when 2030 (or whenever the target year for the long-term growth plan is) comes, annexation reserves may be revisited. I'm not sure about that though.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...5073996,00.html

City to annex 2 areas totalling roughly 9 sq. mi and 35,000 residents.

One downside I see to all this annexation is how little control Memphis has over the development. Suburban sprawl keeps chuggin along, and the city just comes in and puts a fat "Memphis" stamp on it.

If approved, that means Memphis will have annexed over 70,000 more people since the last census. At that rate of annexation, why doesn't the city go ahead and shoot for Metro government, and go ahead and annex the rest of Shelby County (less Germantown, Collierville, etc.)?

• 2 weeks later...

Annexations won't happen, per the Council vote yesterday, CA

It failed 6-4 with 7 votes needed.

Before Tuesday, council member Jack Sammons had supported every annexation that had come before the council. But he said the city's troubles with crime, and the lack of sufficient police resources, prompted him to oppose the latest proposals.

Oh, do mean the people who skipped out of memphis to avoid paying their fair share and depleting the citys reveue, or the crooks in the city council who misallocate money towards pet projects and developers who are bribing them, or the mayor who puts his friends in high paying jobs?

• 1 month later...

Found this interesting article about Atlanta & Fulton County. Sounds like they are trying to mask their race issues with tax rates and government efficiency. Reminiscient of the drive to create Nashoba County from east Shelby County back in 1990. While not necessarily an annexation issue, Shelby and Fulton counties appear to have the same problems.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070123/ap_on_...s/atlanta_split

Found this interesting article about Atlanta & Fulton County. Sounds like they are trying to mask their race issues with tax rates and government efficiency. Reminiscient of the drive to create Nashoba County from east Shelby County back in 1990. While not necessarily an annexation issue, Shelby and Fulton counties appear to have the same problems.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070123/ap_on_...s/atlanta_split

Archived