WFSB Broadcast House replaced by High Rise

grock

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked to someone at WFSB, and when I mentioned the rumors about a Westin, I was told, "I cannot say that rumor is false." So, take that for what it's worth. The same person also told me there isn't a single person at the station who wants to move. They all love working downtown.

I used to work on Columbus Boulevard, diaganally across the street from WFSB. In April our company moved us to Rocky Hill (which is actually a good thing for Hartford, but complicated to explain), and ironically the new WFSB broadcast house is being built directly across the street from where I am now. They already have the antenna up and the building is about half enclosed. But being in the sticks really stinks. I miss downtown like you can't imagine.

I talked to someone at WFSB, and when I mentioned the rumors about a Westin, I was told, "I cannot say that rumor is false." So, take that for what it's worth. The same person also told me there isn't a single person at the station who wants to move. They all love working downtown.

I used to work on Columbus Boulevard, diaganally across the street from WFSB. In April our company moved us to Rocky Hill (which is actually a good thing for Hartford, but complicated to explain), and ironically the new WFSB broadcast house is being built directly across the street from where I am now. They already have the antenna up and the building is about half enclosed. But being in the sticks really stinks. I miss downtown like you can't imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

The buyers of WFSB's Broadcast House may just hold on to the property and flip it. The hotel developer wants to wait until after next year's election hoping the city gets a new mayor. The developer feels Mayor Perez may put him through what he put the Marriott through with the union demands and protests.

The buyers of WFSB's Broadcast House may just hold on to the property and flip it. The hotel developer wants to wait until after next year's election hoping the city gets a new mayor. The developer feels Mayor Perez may put him through what he put the Marriott through with the union demands and protests.

• 1 month later...

A Guru And A Vacant Hotel

With 1 Building Empty, Concern Over Another

December 25, 2006

By KENNETH R. GOSSELIN, Courant Staff Writer

At its opening, the hotel on Constitution Plaza in downtown Hartford was described as almost too luxurious for the city.

Today, its owner is marketing the vacant, decaying structure as worth $10 million - but there are no takers. Hartford's mayor says the building should be torn down.

The 12-story hotel, empty for a dozen years, has been a troubling obstacle for those who see the building as part of a crucial gateway to the city. The sale price set by the Maharishi School of Vedic Sciences Inc., its owner since 1995, has been too high to make any redevelopment, hotel or otherwise, financially possible, observers say.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-hfdho...-headlines-home

A Guru And A Vacant Hotel

With 1 Building Empty, Concern Over Another

December 25, 2006

By KENNETH R. GOSSELIN, Courant Staff Writer

At its opening, the hotel on Constitution Plaza in downtown Hartford was described as almost too luxurious for the city.

Today, its owner is marketing the vacant, decaying structure as worth $10 million - but there are no takers. Hartford's mayor says the building should be torn down.

The 12-story hotel, empty for a dozen years, has been a troubling obstacle for those who see the building as part of a crucial gateway to the city. The sale price set by the Maharishi School of Vedic Sciences Inc., its owner since 1995, has been too high to make any redevelopment, hotel or otherwise, financially possible, observers say.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-hfdho...-headlines-home

It's going to be hard fought next November, I can gaurantee that. I don't even know who I'm backing but a few of the potential North End candidates have asked for my support. Perez will not win the North Side of town, I can predict that already. I still think he's a good guy, but there are candidates who would be more effective and are more adept at dealing in the corporate world. It will be interesting next year.

Tycoon:

I would love to see George Scott (he owns Scott's Jamaican Fods) run for Mayor. I think he would help Hartford out and since he's a businessman, he knows that you have to run any city as a business. I don't mind a Democrat, just as long as he has the vision of Mayor Mike!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!!!

JimS

A business leader is whats needed because the city needs to be run like a business. It needs to cut spending, create jobs and be profitable.

30+ years of the democratic tax and spend philosophy has made Hartford a center for social services and one of the poorest cities in the nation. Compare Hartford of the 50's and 60's to the Hartford of today.

A business leader is whats needed because the city needs to be run like a business. It needs to cut spending, create jobs and be profitable.

30+ years of the democratic tax and spend philosophy has made Hartford a center for social services and one of the poorest cities in the nation. Compare Hartford of the 50's and 60's to the Hartford of today.

I hate to be oversimplistic but the Democrats at the state level have been very anti-business and very pro-union.

Ironicallly, unions are the one of the leading causes of job loss. The UAW has just about destroyed the auto industry in Michigan. To be fair they had help from slow-to-learn auto executives. But the high cost of doing business in Michigan sent hundreds of thousands of jobs out of state.

Almost all the high growth states are right to work states and business friendly states. Big Democratic states like California are big losers. The Govinator has slowed the loses but they still have serious problems.

Connecticut is aware of this problem but has not moved aggressively to fix it. Until they do, we will lag in growth behind the rest of the country.

Archived