Haunted Charlotte

appatone

So it's that time of year again and I thought a good idea for a thread would be for all of us to post about haunted places around Charlotte and what makes them haunted. I'm not talking about fake haunted houses I'm referring to the real thing. I own "Ghost Stories of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County" by Stephanie Williams and my friends and I have occasionally done our own ghost tours in the past using the book and collected stories of our own that we've heard. It also looks like this year there is an official Queen City ghosts and graveyard bus tour which we'll be taking(www.queencityghosts.com).

So anyway, without repeating stories that are in the book, if you

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tis the season....

i grew up in a 120 yr old hotel, so, i consider myself accustom to the energy of the other-worldly. transient energy @ that. living in a big, old structure - my child's mind eventually became complacent to the idea of such energy.... but, i never doubted it's exsistence.

when i was 19 i experienced one of the most frightning nights of my life... truly disturbing. i'm not going to go into details about my experience, but i will give you the facts.... just in case you may feel tempted.

i once heard a story about something called the bleeding tombstone. i have heard that the story is in some publication, but it was told to me by a friends older brother. supposedly if you broke a bottle on this tombstone - it would bleed. pretty simple, pretty juvenile. the tombstone, which is actually just a family marker, is about 6 or 7 ft. tall and is located on miami church rd. which is off of hwy 601, in cabarrus county. the land that the marker sits on is not only one of the first settled european homesites in the area, it also happens to be the site of a horrific murder in 1979. http://www.salisburypost.com/newscopy/z031199killer.htm

heres the thing... no, the tombstone didn't bleed, and you make this out to be whatever you want... but going down that road @ night, waiting to see this marker (you cannot miss it) is pretty scary. it should be.

Just thought I'd jot down a list of places I know of that are supposedly haunted in Charlotte.

Carolina Theatre*

Copper*

Magic Maze*

Manor Theatre*

Spirit Square

Queen's College (several locations on Campus)

The big white house that serves as an antques store on Central right next to 74*

Independence Park*

The Catering business house next to the Double Door*

Alexander Michael's*

A house in 4th Ward*

a couple of Mill Houses in NODA*

Latta Plantation*

Duke Mansion*

Theatre Charlotte

Still trying to find out about the Dunhill

There a a bunch more but I'm forgetting them.

*These stories are in the book I linked to above so I won't retell the stories here.

Just thought I'd jot down a list of places I know of that are supposedly haunted in Charlotte.

Carolina Theatre*

Copper*

Magic Maze*

Manor Theatre*

Spirit Square

Queen's College (several locations on Campus)

The big white house that serves as an antques store on Central right next to 74*

Independence Park*

The Catering business house next to the Double Door*

Alexander Michael's*

A house in 4th Ward*

a couple of Mill Houses in NODA*

Latta Plantation*

Duke Mansion*

Theatre Charlotte

Still trying to find out about the Dunhill

There a a bunch more but I'm forgetting them.

*These stories are in the book I linked to above so I won't retell the stories here.

I don't remember what the book says exactly about The Manor. I seemed to have lost my copy. I'm trying not to tell too many of the book stories because I would hate for the author to get upset that all of the time she put into finding these stories for a book that someone would just repost them on a site as well read by Charlotteans as Urban Planet.

However, I remember there were supposed to be two spirits in The Manor, one male, one female. However there is no story behind the female (in the way of who she was or why she'd be there). Simply "sightings" of a female and stories of experiences. From what I remember the female usually stays upstairs and usually around the restroom and stairs. The male is supposedly the one normally experienced in the projection room. Who knows which one screwed with you but I'm glad you wrote the story, It was stories like that that I was hoping to hear!

It may not fall completely into the realm of the spooky but the Elizabethans have set up their Pumpkin Wall! It really looks great this year. I don't want to give away the message. Since so many people on here are great photogs can one of you go by Clement Ave in Elizabeth in the next night or two, take a pic and post it? :)

Archived