Azalea Square

Downtowner

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is brilliant news!

Right type of development, right place, and it would be a great boost for that stretch of Brook which could use a little sprucing. Plus it's right at the city's limits. Still in Henrico though.

The idea works, it'd be neat to see what they finally come up with. It is definitely the right spot. Also imagine how it'd look from 95's southbound traffic. The highrise already neaby offers a hint you're coming into Richmond. Maybe if they'd have some residential towers visible from the highway we can kind of have a smaller scale DC suburb like entry.

I would rather see the lot remain vacant than for it to turn into the strip mall pictured above. I think the space is better suited for development similar to that of West Broad Village. There may not be enough demand for tall buildings at this site, but I hope the new rendering will at least be more dense. Less asphalt please!

• 3 months later...

From the RTD Real Estate Section...

450,000 sf of commercial and retail space on 50 acres. Project has been delayed, remediation under way.

Tommy, what is this in referrence to? You guys are finding things in Real Estate that I somehow missed this morning.

Tommy, what is this in referrence to? You guys are finding things in Real Estate that I somehow missed this morning.

It was on the front page of the hard copy of the Real Estate Section(TD) this morning, along with the others in the thread Richmond's Suburban Development.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

So is the existing Martins moving 1/2 mile south? That's not cool at all.

200 residential units sounds good though!

I am certainly curious about the move.  The existing store up the street seems a bit smaller than the most of the regional stores so I imagine they want to expand.  I wonder what will potentially fill the old location considering Kroger had already pulled out of the area a few years ago.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Nope - I think the owner let those guys float it as a development opportunity but haven't heard anything. As a Northsider, I don't think we have the trade area for any real sustainable retail there. Just not enough density or depth of disposable income. I'm hoping at some point Westminster Canterbury wants to expand. 

Archived