Downtowner

Azalea Square

21 posts in this topic

I thought I would go on and make a thread of it since Tommy is going to put the renderings on here. But this is a Mix Used Development of Residential and High End Retail on the site of where Azalea Mall used to be.

Well they said they are working to put some residential in too but have to redo the plans and everything. Cause this was suppose to be completed in 2004 but is being worked out again.

This is brilliant news!

Right type of development, right place, and it would be a great boost for that stretch of Brook which could use a little sprucing. Plus it's right at the city's limits. Still in Henrico though.

Edited by Cadeho

I'd like to see it a little more true to mixed use... I think those designs are from the previous Azalea plan from a few years ago like downtowner said.

The idea works, it'd be neat to see what they finally come up with. It is definitely the right spot. Also imagine how it'd look from 95's southbound traffic. The highrise already neaby offers a hint you're coming into Richmond. Maybe if they'd have some residential towers visible from the highway we can kind of have a smaller scale DC suburb like entry.

I think we should see a better development than what was originally envisioned. Something tasteful that would go well with the really cool neighborhoods nearby.

I would rather see the lot remain vacant than for it to turn into the strip mall pictured above. I think the space is better suited for development similar to that of West Broad Village. There may not be enough demand for tall buildings at this site, but I hope the new rendering will at least be more dense. Less asphalt please!

There's still time.

From the RTD Real Estate Section...

450,000 sf of commercial and retail space on 50 acres. Project has been delayed, remediation under way.

There's an article in the Henrico Citizen about Azalea Mall redevelopment plans as well ... I noticed the article on Richmond.com....

From the RTD Real Estate Section...

450,000 sf of commercial and retail space on 50 acres. Project has been delayed, remediation under way.

Tommy, what is this in referrence to? You guys are finding things in Real Estate that I somehow missed this morning.

Tommy, what is this in referrence to? You guys are finding things in Real Estate that I somehow missed this morning.

It was on the front page of the hard copy of the Real Estate Section(TD) this morning, along with the others in the thread Richmond's Suburban Development.

Edited by TBurban

Well, I'm sure glad you can tell us about them because they are not online.

More, please. :)

Main points to pick up from this:

• Town center concept
  • 84,000 Martin's grocery store anchor (tentative)
  • Another 301,000 sq ft of retail (tentative
  • 200 residential units

Glad to see this parking lot wasteland is being looked at after many decades of dormancy.

So is the existing Martins moving 1/2 mile south? That's not cool at all.

200 residential units sounds good though!

Edited by Brent

So is the existing Martins moving 1/2 mile south? That's not cool at all.

200 residential units sounds good though!

I am certainly curious about the move.  The existing store up the street seems a bit smaller than the most of the regional stores so I imagine they want to expand.  I wonder what will potentially fill the old location considering Kroger had already pulled out of the area a few years ago.