Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voyager12

Why are medical dramas so popular?

27 posts in this topic

ER was a hit and now Grey's Anatomy is on top. I don't get it. Maybe its because my sister is a doctor and I can't stand hospitals. Many viewers must enjoy the life and death struggle similar to the Law&Order addiction. Not me though.

I used to be addicted to ER several seasons back... however I now need to find a "Law & Order" 12 step program. I am hoplessly addicted, and need help!!! :blush:

Bah humbug. PBS is best. :) They had an excellent program on the civil rights movement two nights ago and a great one on the Iraq war last night... and no commercials!

Well medical shows aren't all the rage. Chicago Hope died.

But there's a Law & Order and CSI for every day in the week.

What was so popular about westerns in the 50s and 60s? They were so boring!!!!

I don't watch much TV, but I do love every version of Law & Order. I've never really gotten into the whole medical drama thing, but the few episodes I've seen have been good. Scrubs on the other hand, is one of my favorites. :D

Medical dramas have been popular for a long time. Marcus Welby MD, and Medical Center were biggies way back in the 70s. Medical problems don't discriminate, so this is a common experience for us all.

I don't really watch t.v. much except for Fox News, which I absolutely love (Just Kidding :D ). But seriously I don't watch t.v. much. But, people love doctors. They're cool people. They walk around in scrubs all day wearing cool shoes and saving lives---and they make lots and lots of money. It's the American dream to: (1) wear cool clothes (2) save someone's life, and (3) get rich.

Same way with lawyers. People hate them as a group, but everyone has a friend who is one, and everyone thinks it's cool that they go to court, wear cool suits (well most of them anyway) and argue cases.

i'm a big fan of grey's anatomy and watch it religiously. i think the attraction of some shows (regardless of genre) is the ability to connect with the characters.

aside from grey's anatomy, i am also addicted to desperate housewives (which is better this season than last season). i also watch law and order reruns on TNT quite a bit, and when those aren't on, i watch SVU or criminal intent on USA.

I used to watch a lot of TV but now I don't even Tivo or whatever...ABC and many other networks replay their entire shows online.

Don't know, it probably has to do that the very nature of hospitals, with pain, life + death, etc, makes for good drama, but I don't know. I'm more of a cop show guy myself. Law + Order got me started, I've moved on to The Shield (one of the best shows on TV, IMHO), Homicide: Life on the Street, and NYPD Blue.

^ Homicide: Life on the Street was the best show I've ever watched, especially in its early years. I never knew what to expect from that show. I was very upset when they took it off the air.....

One episode in particular, where a man was pushed into a subway train and became wedged in between the train and floor, was one of the best shows I'd ever seen. I don't think a t.v. show has ever affected me that much.

^ Homicide: Life on the Street was the best show I've ever watched, especially in its early years. I never knew what to expect from that show. I was very upset when they took it off the air.....

One episode in particular, where a man was pushed into a subway train and became wedged in between the train and floor, was one of the best shows I'd ever seen. I don't think a t.v. show has ever affected me that much.

^ must have been about halfway through the series, because most of the original cast members were still in that episode and in later episodes they were replaced (and the show was much weaker!!!).

Thanks for that though, I'm going to check out TNT....

^ must have been about halfway through the series, because most of the original cast members were still in that episode and in later episodes they were replaced (and the show was much weaker!!!).

Don't forget about House! I am completely addicted to that show now. Can't wait till the new episodes start back up.

I don't watch much TV, but I do love every version of Law & Order. I've never really gotten into the whole medical drama thing, but the few episodes I've seen have been good. Scrubs on the other hand, is one of my favorites. :D

scrubs is one of my favorite shows too, it's silly and lighthearted but with it's serious elements.

Nobody watched Line of Fire a short-lived crime drama... the only anything set in Richmond.

I love House on Fox.

I'm a big House fan too, it isn't your everyday medical drama...