Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RestedTraveler

SuperTARGET to anchor new Center at I-85 and Pelham

234 posts in this topic

As much as I'd like to see a Super Target on the eastside, I'm not happy with this location. Pelham at 85 is ALREADY the worst intersection around as far as traffic congestion. And I don't see the county spending any more on the just completed Garlington Road, which will likely suffer from this project.

The report makes it sound as if only one person voiced concern, but the reality is she represented a group of Rolling Green residents. Seems odd that the support of Ivybrooke is reported with such detail, while the objection of the Rolling Green community is protrayed as one person. I suspect the reporter got their information from the developer.

If you look very closely under where it says buffer below where the Super Target is going to be, you can see where they plan to widen and straighten Garlington Road and add a traffic light.

It's my understanding that "they" (the developers) are asking for public assistance to do the infrastructure improvements ... which IMHO has little chance of happening considering the big bucks just spent on this very stretch of road.

Garlington Road road re-opened less than 2 months ago after a $2.77 million project funded by the county transportation committee (gas tax funds) and the state Department of Transportation.

Even with recent road improvements on Garlington Road (bridge replacement, road realignment), it remains unable to accomodate traffic now and the future. The long term plan is widening the road to five lanes (four travel lanes and median turn lane) from Pelham to Woodruff roads.

With Super Target being used for Phase 1, do we know what Phase 2 may be used for?

Even with recent road improvements on Garlington Road (bridge replacement, road realignment), it remains unable to accomodate traffic now and the future. The long term plan is widening the road to five lanes (four travel lanes and median turn lane) from Pelham to Woodruff roads.

With Super Target being used for Phase 1, do we know what Phase 2 may be used for?

Why didn't they go ahead and make it 5 lanes when they made the recent upgrades? Lack of funds, or poor planning? Or both? :blink:

^they have to widen Woodruff Rd to 6 lanes first :)

When is this project suppose to officially start? Looks like some earth moving has happened and there are retail lease signs up.

When is this project suppose to officially start? Looks like some earth moving has happened and there are retail lease signs up.

There were people out surveying this site when I was by there this morning. Any news?

I hear that the flood plain designation is a big hold up for this project.

:sick: Wal-Mart looks like it is coming to Pelham. :sick: Totally the wrong place! I hope this gets shot down. Our dumbsh** county council won't let Fresh Market open on Woodruff and 14 due to traffic, but they will let Wal-Mart open on Pelham where traffic is as bad or worse??? Makes no sense. I say keep Wal-Mart out of this area!

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...3/1003/BUSINESS

:sick: Wal-Mart looks like it is coming to Pelham. :sick: Totally the wrong place! I hope this gets shot down. Our dumbsh** county council won't let Fresh Market open on Woodruff and 14 due to traffic, but they will let Wal-Mart open on Pelham where traffic is as bad or worse??? Makes no sense. I say keep Wal-Mart out of this area!

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...3/1003/BUSINESS

I think gsupstate sounds like me when Wal-Mart was first proposing a store here in T.R. :lol: The people that live near Pelham Road in that area (i.e. Thronblade, etc.) may be demographically more affluent than those that live here in T.R.; however, Wal-Mart realizes that their dollars spend just the same, I'm sure. And people will likely spend their dollars at Wal-Mart, in spite of all of its flawed practices globally. If it were Target or IKEA, these same folks would very likely be jumping for joy. :lol:

^ :D I'll raise my hand and say guilty. I can't stand Wal-Mart. I can go into a long list why, but I won't. You've probably all heard the reasons before from numerous people and the thousands of Wal-Mart haters.

Were it IKEA, Whole Foods, Target, REI, etc, etc going in, I would be happy.

At least I'm honest. :D

^ :D I'll raise my hand and say guilty. I can't stand Wal-Mart. I can go into a long list why, but I won't. You've probably all heard the reasons before from numerous people and the thousands of Wal-Mart haters.

Were it IKEA, Whole Foods, Target, REI, etc, etc going in, I would be happy.

At least I'm honest. :D

Greenville County Council rejected plans for a rezoning for the Super-Target planned. However, the developer is going to go back to the County Council and ask for a different rezoning, so the project can be mixed-use. Most likely the county will take up the issue sometime this month.

I didn't think Wal-Mart was that bad until I watched a 2-hour program about what they do on CNBC a couple nights ago. Now I don't think i'll ever shop there again. This county council is so backwards, it's :sick:

Greenville County Council rejected plans for a rezoning for the Super-Target planned. However, the developer is going to go back to the County Council and ask for a different rezoning, so the project can be mixed-use. Most likely the county will take up the issue sometime this month.