SuperTARGET to anchor new Center at I-85 and Pelham

RestedTraveler

I'm not shocked by the low number of signatures, as the larger area has a great population, but the immediate area around the site only has housing on one side (down Garlington Road) and the rest is bordered by office, commercial, industrial and the interstate. I've talked with people who live down Pelham / Batesville / etc in the extended population area, and they were all excited about Super Target. Seems like the only strong opposition are the immediate residents on Garlington, bordering the one side of the proposed development.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, those who may not object due to their wanting a Super Target nearby now may want to rethink their opinion. While there is still a developer pushing for a project on this location, the project no longer includes a Super Target --- and apparently hasn't for sometime.

Gman. No I did not attend the council meeting. And I fail to see why that makes my information "wrong." Developers often give information regarding tenants that are based on their hopes, not necessarily commitments. And yes, some developers have even floated the names of tenants to sway public opinion.

My source is very good, especially on this subject. The source have nothing to do with those opposed to the Garlington Road project, so my bias due to my person feelings toward this development does not play a part. I stand by my comment.

Can't remember if someone already brought this up or not, but isn't it funny that the developers are trying to change the project to appease the opposers who don't want traffic, but adding more residential will increase traffic in the immediate area even more?

Well we all know that the developer for this spot would probably rather drop dead before ever having to say that the development no longer contains plans for a SuperTarget! This is his baby so he will probably still be saying that a SuperTarget is in the works for as long as he thinks he can. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what pops up in that area.

Regardless of whether or not more residential is added to the plans, I don't see how that would change the traffic nightmare that would still exist when Garlington Rd. suddenly has to accomodate all of this increased traffic on it's poor little lanes. Just trying to get down Pelham Rd. and up to I-85 is already a headache around 5-6pm, so I can only imagine the torture it will be if one day we have to allow traffic coming from a SuperTarget to turn off of Garlington and blend in with the regular traffic on Pelham at that crappy intersection next to the fire station! Just shoot me now.

One thing we do know for sure...if a SuperTarget doesn't get built here, it will without a doubt end up somewhere else around the area because the City of Greenville is not going to let one of their prized big-boxes get away!

Why don't we just relocate all of the Wal-Marts, Targets, and K Marts to the empty spaces on Laurens Rd., line each store up one after another, build connectors to bridge all of the stores so that you can start on one end and walk all the way down the line without ever having to leave the store. Just set it up like a flea market! We can call it, hmmm....

"K Mart Big K SuperTarget Target Wal Mart Supercenter" - it would be a freakin' Super Mart of some sorts?

Ok, I apologize. I digressed completely. It's late and I'm sleepy. Sorry.

I saw someone refer to the developer in a singular form as in one man. So I thought I would just mention who the developer is. THe developer is Crescent Resources which is 49% Owned by Duke Energy and 49% owned by Morgan Stanley so it is not just some run of the mill one man show, these guys know what they are doing.

I saw someone refer to the developer in a singular form as in one man. So I thought I would just mention who the developer is. THe developer is Crescent Resources which is 49% Owned by Duke Energy and 49% owned by Morgan Stanley so it is not just some run of the mill one man show, these guys know what they are doing.

Can't remember if someone already brought this up or not, but isn't it funny that the developers are trying to change the project to appease the opposers who don't want traffic, but adding more residential will increase traffic in the immediate area even more?

Archived