SuperTARGET to anchor new Center at I-85 and Pelham

RestedTraveler

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This just irks me.....citizens groups stop a Super Target (nice middle class), but looks like a Wal-Mart (low end) will go in the same general area. This is just wrong.

Believe me, the neighborhood would have preferred the Target. The objection to the Super Target was the location. If it had been proposed for the property where the proposed Walmart is apparently going, there would have been little opposition. The Target project was easy to fight. The property needed to be rezoned and that gave the residents a public forum for their opposition. The Walmart property was already appropriately zoned and therefore left the neighbors with little recourse.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Earlier tonight when I was at Starbuck's on Pelham Rd. I noticed that the new Wal-Mart is almost completed...unfortunately. A couple of things grabbed my attention:

1) I couldn't find any "Coming Soon" signage anywhere surprisingly? Maybe I missed it? Would've thought that they would have plastered the area with signage as much as possible.

2) As if we already didn't know this but...traffic in that area will be hell! The only entrance that takes you straight to the store off of Pelham will be horrendous for those brave enough to turn left or right from Pelham. As far as I could tell, anyone trying to leave the store parking area and making a left turn onto Pelham would have a better chance of hell freezing over.

The secondary entrance which is directly across from Schlotzsky's on Old Boiling Springs Rd. is the most spacious of the two access points but for those folks leaving Wal-Mart and trying to make a left onto Old Boiling Springs Rd., with that sharp, sharp curve in the way, I pray and assume that a traffic light goes up soon. If not, we can expect a lot of serious accidents.

3) Why in the world didn't Wal-Mart use a spot along Pelham anywhere in that stretch of mostly vacant opportunity right across the street in the area where the old movie theater used to be? That would've been a much more visible and easier to access location in my opinion!?

PS - We've all seen the new logo on the tv commercials, but this will be nice to see the new logo on the new store's signage. (I'm kinda curious as to why they decided to stop using the hyphenated "Wal-Mart" and start using the singular "Walmart"?)

2832428594_c08c4bc559_m.jpg

Archived