SuperTARGET to anchor new Center at I-85 and Pelham

RestedTraveler

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that County Council still has the final say and the planning commision just makes a recomendation, meaning it still could be approved in its current form or after some design changes.

Also, suprised no one mentioned this, but if they build they 595 Apartments, I think those buildings would have to be more than 3 stories meaning it could have auite a visual impact.

<<My understanding is that County Council still has the final say and the planning commision just makes a recomendation, meaning it still could be approved in its current form or after some design changes.>>

Also, suprised no one mentioned this, but if they build they 595 Apartments, I think those buildings would have to be more than 3 stories meaning it could have auite a visual impact.>>

I think this is a great start, provided that County Council will stand behind these recommendations without exception. Based on the developer's comments in the paper, I think they will alter the design plans and resubmit an offer for the SuperTarget. Hopefully that will get approved, and we'll come out ahead on this one. :thumbsup:

The big plus of this is that it prevents a building from being "branded." With current buildings, an empty building will most likely stay that way until someone comes and scrapes it. With buildings developed along these guidelines, buildings are more likely to be successfully re-tenanted.

Of course, the concern is that retailers technically may opt to locate elsewhere as a result. I do know that the cities will love this, as one of their major concerns with adopting their own design guidelines is the fact that the county does not have them. A retailer looking to locate in an area is much more likely to simply choose to locate outside of the city rather than outside of the county.

The big plus of this is that it prevents a building from being "branded." With current buildings, an empty building will most likely stay that way until someone comes and scrapes it. With buildings developed along these guidelines, buildings are more likely to be successfully re-tenanted.

The Fresh Market mixed-use project that was planned for the intersection of Highway 14 and Woodruff Rd. along with the Super Target proposed for the intersection of Garlington and Pelham Roads might never see the light of day again due to this new county development group: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/701270351 What does everybody think about this issue?

The Fresh Market mixed-use project that was planned for the intersection of Highway 14 and Woodruff Rd. along with the Super Target proposed for the intersection of Garlington and Pelham Roads might never see the light of day again due to this new county development group: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/701270351 What does everybody think about this issue?

The main community objection to the proposed Target development was traffic and congestion.

The area of Pelham Road between Garlington Road (proposed Target SUPERCENTER) and Old Boiling Springs Rd (possible WalMart SUPERCENTER), including the I-85 and Parkway intersections, gets extremely congested NOW. Accidents are common place NOW. A supercenter, much less TWO supercenters, and the associated traffic would negativly effect the entire area.

I don't think most of the people that oppose these two developments are just anti-development, nor do I think it is a case of "not good enough." They have legitimate concerns for the quality of life in their neighborhood. Please don't be so quick to judge without being familiar with the situation that currently exist.

It will be a shame if the county regulates things to the point that these developments cannot occur. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either of these developments, and the only concerns of the county (since this IS private property, after all) should be architectural design and infrastructure. The buildings need to be reasonably attractive and have proper access (this includes roads that are in good shape and large enough to handle the added traffic). Aside from this, the county has NO business deciding what kinds of businesses they want.

The message sent by the county on the development at Highway 14 and Woodruff Road is basically that nothing can happen near a graveyard. Come on! As long as the development doesn't have to move gravesites in order to happen, what's the problem?

With regard to the SuperTarget development at Pelham and I-85, that would be a great project. The concerns about the roads (especially the width of Garlington) should be addressed between the county and the developer, and the flooding issues obviously need to be resolved.

The problem I have with both of these issues is that a citizen group complained because they basically want to live in an area without anything new in it. They think traffic will get worse. Guess what? It will. Did they not think about Greenville's growth patterns when they moved into such a fast-growing area of the metro?!? Developments in the area are probably a big reason why they located there, and it's not right for them to expect to pick and choose what they want. If they want to do that, they need to purchase the land. Then they can do what they please with it.

Screw the NIMBYs. :angry:

Screw the NIMBYs????????? :angry::angry::angry: I pray that some out of state developer interested only in making a quick dollar comes into YOUR back yard and tries to plunk down a Wal-mart, a SuperTarget and while we're at it, a Waffle House AND a strip club just so you can get the feeling of what some of those people who have lived out there for many, many years in this residential area are probably feeling. Bet you wouldn't want any one of these in your back yard ruining your home value or privacy, would you? You'd become one of your hated NIMBYs in a heartbeat. Have any of you supporters of the SuperTarget and Wal-Mart projects actually been down Pelham at morning rush hour, lunch or afternoon rush hour? It's miserable already. It's the same as with Woodruff Rd. We all love the new developments but complain relentlessly about the traffic congestion (me included). Pie in the sky wishes about MAYBE they'll care enough about the residents of the area to also upgrade the roads are just that, pie in the sky wishes. Developers aren't going to spend one penny more that they're forced to because they don't have to live with the mess they create. It's all about the almighty dollar to these developers. Development is good, but only if it is done with some common sense and adequate planning. Unless county and city council get a hold of the developments and actually listens to residents instead of just potential tax dollars, some of Greenville's traffic congestion will be WORSE than Atlanta's in 10 years. Mark my words.

One of you said that the since the developers do not have to live here they do now care about the projects, how they look and the impact they have...that is such a bogus claim.

They might not live here but they do have reputations and they do have a financial incentive. A developers project has to be sucessful for it to be profitable, if for an example traffic is so bad that people won't come to it, then the retailers are not going to want to rent at it. Also, many of them sell their projects to large investment firms and funds, etc. and if they develope a bad reputation for for makeing shoddy product that can't stay leased becuase they didn't address certain issues to start with then people won't by their projects.

That is why you see develpers such at Easley Town Center and at The SUper Target project willing to spend money to do road work. Remember Crescent has said they will widen a portion of Garlington, they also said they will follow the new design standards even if not passed. They know that if they do a nice project, that will speak for itself when they try to work with other communitess on furture projects.

Also remember in SC, rarely are raod improvements done ahead of growth, that just will not happen, no, they wait till it is too late. If every developer had to wait till road improvements were done nothing would ever get built. In a sense the SuperTarget project is infill and makes alot more sense that doing something like this out in the middle of no where ahead of growth just becuase there is no traffic.

It really makes me mad how these groups are determining how people use thier land, I thought the constitution gave us private property rights, and here people are trying harder and harder to get the government to take those away yet alot of these same people scream about the right to privacy and the right to kill babies and other rights that they have created.

One of you said that the since the developers do not have to live here they do now care about the projects, how they look and the impact they have...that is such a bogus claim.

They might not live here but they do have reputations and they do have a financial incentive. A developers project has to be sucessful for it to be profitable, if for an example traffic is so bad that people won't come to it, then the retailers are not going to want to rent at it. Also, many of them sell their projects to large investment firms and funds, etc. and if they develope a bad reputation for for makeing shoddy product that can't stay leased becuase they didn't address certain issues to start with then people won't by their projects.

That is why you see develpers such at Easley Town Center and at The SUper Target project willing to spend money to do road work. Remember Crescent has said they will widen a portion of Garlington, they also said they will follow the new design standards even if not passed. They know that if they do a nice project, that will speak for itself when they try to work with other communitess on furture projects.

Also remember in SC, rarely are raod improvements done ahead of growth, that just will not happen, no, they wait till it is too late. If every developer had to wait till road improvements were done nothing would ever get built. In a sense the SuperTarget project is infill and makes alot more sense that doing something like this out in the middle of no where ahead of growth just becuase there is no traffic.

It really makes me mad how these groups are determining how people use thier land, I thought the constitution gave us private property rights, and here people are trying harder and harder to get the government to take those away yet alot of these same people scream about the right to privacy and the right to kill babies and other rights that they have created.

I hope they build the Wal-Mart and Super Target just to make these rich, greedy people that live in Thornblade mad.

And nah. I don't live out there at 85 and Pelham. I live closer to the other end of Pelham Rd. Moved here specifically because it's close to everything and I love it. I love new development and new things. But I had a choice when I moved out here. I was willing to deal with the traffic just to be close to it all. Those people out there on the other end feel they have no choice and no voice. That's what's unfortunate. If they have to sue to stop their back yard from being ruined, I'll support that. They were there first.

Archived