SuperTARGET to anchor new Center at I-85 and Pelham

RestedTraveler

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The alliance against the Walmart development is made up citizens from a variety of neighborhoods. Not all are the wealthy Thornblade crowd. The sweeping generalizations here are way out of line and IMHO, not in keeping with the intent of this forum.

I often travel in the area of concern (The Parkway, Pelham and Garlington Roads) and I understand the traffic concerns. I also understand that ALL citizens, whether they be wealthy, middle class or poor, have the right to be heard by their government and utilize the legal system as they see fit.

I have also noticed that some posters may be more interested in stirring up controversy than actually discussing our developing urban area. While posting <<I hope they build the Wal-Mart and Super Target just to make these rich, greedy people that live in Thornblade mad.>> on this website, a poster using the same name posted (on the same subject) the following on the Greenville News forum:

<<Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:28 pm Post subject:

I am one glad the citizens of Greenville County are finally standing up to the county and these developers. >>

The alliance against the Walmart development is made up citizens from a variety of neighborhoods. Not all are the wealthy Thornblade crowd. The sweeping generalizations here are way out of line and IMHO, not in keeping with the intent of this forum.

I often travel in the area of concern (The Parkway, Pelham and Garlington Roads) and I understand the traffic concerns. I also understand that ALL citizens, whether they be wealthy, middle class or poor, have the right to be heard by their government and utilize the legal system as they see fit.

I have also noticed that some posters may be more interested in stirring up controversy than actually discussing our developing urban area. While posting <<I hope they build the Wal-Mart and Super Target just to make these rich, greedy people that live in Thornblade mad.>> on this website, a poster using the same name posted (on the same subject) the following on the Greenville News forum:

I am one glad the citizens of Greenville County are finally standing up to the county and these developers. >>

This seems to be a recurring, tiring problem. Exposing it like this is the best hope of acheiving any possible correction. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but there is a difference between expressing that opinion with sufficient backing, and ignorantly swaying back and forth in an apparent attempt to create controversy.

I am not opposed to a citizen-lead effort to keep these superstores out of their neighborhood. It seems that their opinions would certainly be as important as anything else in this debate, considering they pay taxes. In this case, I trust their decision to oppose Wal-Mart but welcome Super Target.

I am NOT trying to stir up controversy. I have NO reason too. I am glad the citizens are standing up against the Wal-Mart, but I am not glad they are also standing up against the Target seeing how I am for the Target, but against the Wal-Mart.

Edit: Refering to the "rich people" comment...

Then please don't say otherwise in a fit of rage. Personal wealth in Greenville (or any city for that matter) should be something to be proud of. Many of these individuals are our greatest spokesmen out in the global community. What is more, I know quite a few of them live in Thornblade, one of the most prominent subdivisions related to this discussion.

Edit: Refering to the "rich people" comment...

Then please don't say otherwise in a fit of rage. Personal wealth in Greenville (or any city for that matter) should be something to be proud of. Many of these individuals are our greatest spokesmen out in the global community. What is more, I know quite a few of them live in Thornblade, one of the most prominent subdivisions related to this discussion.

Absolutely. Their roles are just as important as anyone else, even if they never have the opportunity to visit places in the world. My reply was intended to help you understand why your previous comments were inappropriate. Treat everyone with respect and we'll have a better chance of receiving the same in return. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. Their roles are just as important as anyone else, even if they never have the opportunity to visit places in the world. My reply was intended to help you understand why your previous comments were inappropriate. Treat everyone with respect and we'll have a better chance of receiving the same in return. :thumbsup:

I may have missed the beauty at this exit, but this spot seems perfect for Target......bound by I-85, Pelham and Garlington, with restaurants and a hotel across Pelham and office/light industrial across Garlington. I don't see this development as out of place. I would welcome this Target.

On Wal-Mart however, I do not think it belongs alongside one of Greenville's most beautiful neighborhoods and it certainly does not fit in with the type of development nearby such as Michelin's North American Headquarters and JHM's flagship Marriott. I hope the citizens do stop Wal-Mart.

Target seems to fit the area, Wal-Mart doesn't.

^^^It's funny though how the neighborhood that is right next to the proposed Target site on Garlington Road is actually for the project and not against it. I guess this is because the developer would pay for a sidewalk from the neighborhood to the Target. At least that's what the Greenville News said in one of their articles about this project.

^^^It's funny though how the neighborhood that is right next to the proposed Target site on Garlington Road is actually for the project and not against it. I guess this is because the developer would pay for a sidewalk from the neighborhood to the Target. At least that's what the Greenville News said in one of their articles about this project.

According to a friend who lives in that neighborhood, it was only the people on the homeowners board who agreed with the development and that is not the sentiment of the majority of the neighbors. Also, I think (but am not sure) that they originally thought it would front Pelham, not Garlington Road.

I may have missed the beauty at this exit, but this spot seems perfect for Target......bound by I-85, Pelham and Garlington, with restaurants and a hotel across Pelham and office/light industrial across Garlington. I don't see this development as out of place. I would welcome this Target.

On Wal-Mart however, I do not think it belongs alongside one of Greenville's most beautiful neighborhoods and it certainly does not fit in with the type of development nearby such as Michelin's North American Headquarters and JHM's flagship Marriott. I hope the citizens do stop Wal-Mart.

Target seems to fit the area, Wal-Mart doesn't.

Archived