Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whitehourseview

Elections 2006

19 posts in this topic

Not sure on the policy on this, but if anyone wants to discuss local elections to the Greenville area and how they effect the area, have it.

The policy is this: Follow our rules and you will be ok with this topic. However I have had fights break out in almost every political thread on this site, and I have started to suspend people for it because people can't seem to contain themselves in a respectful manner.

If one were to judge by the commercials on the air, one would think that Heath Shuler were running against Charles Taylor locally. :rolleyes: I'll be happy once the election is over and these commercials cease.

There was an article in one of the local publications - I think it was the Journal - recently which broke down who was running for each office. There's a list at http://www.vote-smart.org/ though - just enter your zip+4 and it'll show you who's up and for what offices (on a state and district level).

If one were to judge by the commercials on the air, one would think that Heath Shuler were running against Charles Taylor locally. :rolleyes: I'll be happy once the election is over and these commercials cease.

A comment on political ads. haha

We here in Charlotte get to see both SC and NC adverts given that we are on the state line and the TV stations serve both markets. I've seen endless ads for the governer of SC here in Huntersville and I am sure these are being broadcast way up into the mountains of NW NC as this is part of the Charlotte market too. (the NC governer isn't running this year)

The other interesing thing are the adverts for Congress. We see the adverts for Spratt (D) vs Norman , and Hayes vs Kissel (D). In the NC race the incumbant is Republican in the SC race the incumbant is Democrat. What is amusing about his are the different stories being told by each party in each state on the same issue. It's like they flip flop ads depending on which state we are talking about. haha. I wonder if they realized these ads are often shown back to back on the same channel?

My wife was concerned when she saw Heath Shuller's commercial because it kept talking about "mountain values" and she was wondering what exactly are "mountain values". Of course she's recently been reading a book about the Hatfield/McCoy feud. :rofl: In guess in that context all politics have "mountain values". :rolleyes:

I'm not looking for any posts about state-wide or even Congressional elections, I figure they are publicized enough.

What I guess I'm looking for is information, discussion, etc. about council, school board or even state legislature races.

I figure that unless you are just foaming at the mouth about a road getting paved, most times local races tend to have more level headed discussions.

All I know is that I'm definitely voting for Joe Dill again for County Council. He's a good man, from what I've seen, and he's done his part to help Northern Greenville County.

I know he supports the trail network, so that would make sense. :thumbsup:

Can't say there were any real surprises in Greenville County election returns:

Scott Case is the new auditor by a large margin

State Rep. Lewis Vaughn wins a special election to the State Senate

Joe Dill, Xanthene Norris, Judy Gilstrap (who was in a bit of a race), Willis Meadows and Fred Payne are all on County Council. After Case takes the auditor job next summer, look for a special election for his seat next fall

Megan Henderson narrowly beats David Vickery for an open school board seat

Inglis wins 65% of the Greenville County vote on the way to a 63% of the vote for the 4th congressional district

A big thing worth mentioning was a battery failure in voting machines that hindered the tabulation of Greenville County votes, especially in narrow state wide races like Lt. Governor and Education Superintendent.

The delay from Greenville and Spartanburg Counties really shows how much weight that the Upstate has in SC politics. We shifted a couple of elections after our precincts finally started reporting!

Can't say there were any real surprises in Greenville County election returns:

Scott Case is the new auditor by a large margin

State Rep. Lewis Vaughn wins a special election to the State Senate

Joe Dill, Xanthene Norris, Judy Gilstrap (who was in a bit of a race), Willis Meadows and Fred Payne are all on County Council. After Case takes the auditor job next summer, look for a special election for his seat next fall

Megan Henderson narrowly beats David Vickery for an open school board seat

Inglis wins 65% of the Greenville County vote on the way to a 63% of the vote for the 4th congressional district

A big thing worth mentioning was a battery failure in voting machines that hindered the tabulation of Greenville County votes, especially in narrow state wide races like Lt. Governor and Education Superintendent.

It should be noted that Xanthene Norris ran unapposed. I wrote myself in for that race, no way was I going to vote for her.