Influenza Clinics for Rhode Island

Garris

Hi everyone,

I found out from my employer (Rhode Island Hospital) that our flu vaccine supply won't likely be in until Thanksgiving. Considering I'm at high risk (as a healthcare provider), considering I've already suffered through two minor viral syndromes this season already (I'm feeling cursed), and considered my barber got his flu vaccine weeks ago, I wanted to find out where to get the flu vaccine in RI.

Here's where:

This website from the RI Department of Health lists vaccine clinics for the entire state.

Remember the flu vaccine does not prevent you from getting the flu (good handwashing; avoiding touching your nose, mouth, and eyes; staying away from likely infected individuals; etc does help with prevention). It just makes the flu far more mild and shorter if you get the strain you're vaccinated against.

The flu is serious business. Consult the list and get your vaccine.

Stay well everyone!

- Garris

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it really necessary to get the flu vaccine? i've heard the pros and cons and a lot of people i know swear by it and about the same amount say that they've gotten it several times and each time, they got a nasty case of the flu.

from a purely scientific/evolutionary standpoint, wouldn't it be bad for lots of people to get the vaccine and then the flu just mutates again (my degree is in evolutionary biology)? and wouldn't fewer (or zero) people getting it prevent it from mutating?

is it really necessary to get the flu vaccine? i've heard the pros and cons and a lot of people i know swear by it and about the same amount say that they've gotten it several times and each time, they got a nasty case of the flu.

great response. evolution, in and of itself, is generally based on "dumb luck". while we might be able to see and determine what traits will probably carry on, it's just about impossible to predict how a species will evolve.

i'll stick with not getting the vaccine, mainly because i've only ever gotten the flu once (although it was only 2 years ago), and it didn't stop me from going on the ski trip i went on. :D i took the tamiflu stuff they gave me and that was that.

Another thing to keep in mind with Garris' explanation is that a virus doesn't really want to kill its host. A dead host won't pass the virus on to others, so a 'superflu' that quickly kills thousands isn't necesarrily as successful, from an evolutionary standpoint, as one that doesn't kill but manages to spread to millions.

I can say in my experience that I've really only had the flu once in my life back in 2002. Up to that point, I thought I had contracted the flu on several occasions. However, as I learned in 2002 those cases of illness were definately not the flu. What I caught 4 years ago was the worst illness experience of my life and it was diagnosed as the flu. (Thank you, Toronto! I really enjoyed my visit. :thumbsup: ) I was out of work for a full week and it took me an additional 2 weeks to get over the effects. I think what caught me off guard the most was how sick I really got. I was completely unfunctional. There was no way I could follow my normal life routine at all. On top of the high fever, congestion, chills and cough you get a nice slice of heaven with the addition of severe body aches. I mean "don't touch me" kinda stuff. While it may not be a perfect protection barrier, the shot will at least give you some protection. I, personally, get one every single year.

To runawayjim's point, I didn't see the doctor until 3 days after my symptoms began. I didn't get Tamiflu (if it was even available at the time.) Maybe earlier detection would have made the difference for me.

I can say in my experience that I've really only had the flu once in my life back in 2002. Up to that point, I thought I had contracted the flu on several occasions. However, as I learned in 2002 those cases of illness were definately not the flu. What I caught 4 years ago was the worst illness experience of my life and it was diagnosed as the flu. (Thank you, Toronto! I really enjoyed my visit. :thumbsup: ) I was out of work for a full week and it took me an additional 2 weeks to get over the effects. I think what caught me off guard the most was how sick I really got. I was completely unfunctional. There was no way I could follow my normal life routine at all. On top of the high fever, congestion, chills and cough you get a nice slice of heaven with the addition of severe body aches. I mean "don't touch me" kinda stuff. While it may not be a perfect protection barrier, the shot will at least give you some protection. I, personally, get one every single year.

To runawayjim's point, I didn't see the doctor until 3 days after my symptoms began. I didn't get Tamiflu (if it was even available at the time.) Maybe earlier detection would have made the difference for me.

when i got it, i didn't go to see the doctor for a couple days because i thought it was a cold, but it never got any better (not any worse, just not better), so i went and they did a flu test. the place i went (statcare in warwick, a walk-in emergency care clinic) seemed to take it very seriously because they told me i couldn't go to work and gave me a doctor's note and everything.

i'm the same person who had mono and thought it was just a short bug. actually... being a gastro-guy, you might appreciate this story...

i was working in a high school in CT at the time (in fact, it was just after i got the job offer here in providence and i was finishing up my last 3 weeks at the high school). it was the week before thanksgiving week. i went to work on monday feeling like i had a bad allergy attack, which wasn't uncommon for me. didn't get better on tuesday or wednesday, felt like a mild cold. thursday came and i woke up and threw up even before my shower. i called out sick that day because my stomach is made of steel and that never happens unless i drink too much. i ended up spending almost the whole day in bed. friday came and i woke up to go to work and i still felt a bit out of it, so i called out sick again figuring the weekend will help. i slept a lot that day, but not as much as the previous day. the weekend helped and on monday i was back in work. well... on monday i noticed after going to the bathroom that the whites of my eyes were all yellowy orange (like the color of the yellow stripe at the top of this page). i knew there could be something serious. so i went to the doctor and they did all sorts of bloodwork (i had no insurance... it was $500 worth of bloodwork). turned out i had mono and it did something to my liver. so i started my job here in providence looking like an alien. someone told me they thought i was "ethnic or something". i laughed since my last name is clearly italian. anyways, it took 3 months of blood tests every 2 weeks (and the people at quest were so bad it looked like i was a heroin addict) and seeing a gastro-enterologist here in providence before the jaundice left. the worst part of it was that it made my whole body really itchy to the point where i scratched off a lot of the hair on my legs. that was not a pleasant experience.

so anyways... i don't get hit with sickness too hard, which is probably why testing positive for the flu may have been the flu, but it wasn't hard hitting... since my case of mono barely affected me (although it stumped the gastro guy as to why the jaundice woudln't go away).

Archived