Hybrid Cars

miamivicefan

You won't have to worry about the gas guzzling escalade, cause What I Heard on Inside Line that cadillac escalade is going hybrid, it's coming out in this fall.

Edit: Changed the topic of this thread to cover all hybrid cars. If you wish to post someting about a particular hybrid, please use this thread. --monsoon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive my lack of enthusiasm, but so what? There are other hybrids on the market now that are getting that and better mileage. The Escape is hovering around 32+ and the Prius and Civic's are getting right close to 50.

Is the big deal that it's a Cadillac? To me that only means that it's going to cost more to purchase, cost more to insure, and cost more to repair when broken. Forgive me if I yawn....................

Too small for whom? The claim was made that Cadillac would take customers away from Toyota, and I don't think that will happen by putting out a vehicle that is basically a Chevy Tahoe dressed up as a Cadillac with a hybrid motor. Soccar moms don't buy cadillacs, and people in the luxury brand market go for Mercedes, Lexus and BMW.

Too small for whom? The claim was made that Cadillac would take customers away from Toyota, and I don't think that will happen by putting out a vehicle that is basically a Chevy Tahoe dressed up as a Cadillac with a hybrid motor. Soccar moms don't buy cadillacs, and people in the luxury brand market go for Mercedes, Lexus and BMW.

GM says this technology will improve the Tahoe/Escalade's gas mileage by 25%. Consumeraffairs gives a real world mileage number of 16.5mpg. This means the hybrid version will get a real world gas mileage of 20.5mpq. That isn't much to crow about if you are looking to save the environment, and like most hybrids, you have to drive it more than 100K miles to pay for the extra cost in gas savings. GM really ought to be trying to develop smaller cars that are also desirable.

In comparison, the Mercedes GL which competes against the Escalade and which is imeasurably nicer in every regard, is coming out with a diesel version next year. It gets 23 mpg which is better than the hybrid and isn't a science experiment. In addition, diesel vehicles can use bio-diesel which is good for the environment. Mercedes is planning to advertise this as a better alternative to hybrids.

I am sure that some people will purchase the Tahoe/Escalade hybrid, but personally I don't see the point. It doesn't save you money and it still uses a lot of gas and nobody driving one can claim they are doing it to save the environment which is the primary reason that people buy hybrids. The Ford escape hybrid is not doing that well, and most likely its due to these reasons.

You know.. I'm just a poor college student who cannot afford to buy a hybrid. I currently drive a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix.. and I love it. The thing has oomph and it gets okay gas mileage.

While Japanese automakers are lightyears ahead of American automakers in fuel efficiency, I would like to buy American cars if I can. Because that supports American workers.. and it supports Detroit, which could use a boost.

But American car companies (ESPECIALLY FORD) need to get hteir heads out of their A$$es.. As long as American car companies and the oil companies are in bed with eachother, I will have a bias against their cars.

There is more American content in a Nissan minivan than there is in the Ford Mustang and some well known Chevys. I was at a car show recently and notice the 300M from Chrysler, has the hemi engine in it which is made in Mexico, the transmission which is an older mercedes model manufactured in Germany and the car is assembled in Canada. It's not very American at all.

In contrast, most Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans are built entirely in the USA along with all their subcomponents.

I Don't think so.

In contrast, most Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans are built entirely in the USA along with all their subcomponents.

Why don't you think this? E85 causes a 10%-15% drop in mileage when using it in any given vehicle. Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline.

ford_fusion_hybrid_vehicle.jpg

Due out in 2008. The Ford Fusion is already being redesigned for 2006 and the Ford Fusion hybrid should provide a solid competitor for both the Toyota Camry hybrid and the Toyota Prius hybrid.

The 2006 Ford Fusion is propelled by a four cylinder, 2.3 liter engine that produces 160 horsepower and should achieve about 30 mpg on the highway. The hybrid version should enable the Ford Fusion hybrid to achieve an even higher mpg in the city

http://www.soultek.com/clean_energy/hybrid...sion_Hybrid.htm

http://www.hybrid-vehicles.net/ford-fusion-hybrid-car.htm

You know.. I'm just a poor college student who cannot afford to buy a hybrid. I currently drive a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix.. and I love it. The thing has oomph and it gets okay gas mileage.

While Japanese automakers are lightyears ahead of American automakers in fuel efficiency, I would like to buy American cars if I can. Because that supports American workers.. and it supports Detroit, which could use a boost.

But American car companies (ESPECIALLY FORD) need to get hteir heads out of their A$$es.. As long as American car companies and the oil companies are in bed with eachother, I will have a bias against their cars.

ford_fusion_hybrid_vehicle.jpg

Due out in 2008. The Ford Fusion is already being redesigned for 2006 and the Ford Fusion hybrid should provide a solid competitor for both the Toyota Camry hybrid and the Toyota Prius hybrid.

The 2006 Ford Fusion is propelled by a four cylinder, 2.3 liter engine that produces 160 horsepower and should achieve about 30 mpg on the highway. The hybrid version should enable the Ford Fusion hybrid to achieve an even higher mpg in the city

http://www.soultek.com/clean_energy/hybrid...sion_Hybrid.htm

http://www.hybrid-vehicles.net/ford-fusion-hybrid-car.htm

Archived