Hybrid Cars

miamivicefan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

On runawayjim's last post... I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure most conventional rail (passenger and freight) tops out around 65 MPH. But I'm glad someone brought up rail. Hybrid cars (and any cars that boast superior fuel economy) are better than gas guzzlers, clearly, but rail, IMO, is the best way to transport passengers in metro areas and freight over long distances. I really like that commercial (I think it's CSX) where the tree lifts the trailer off the truck and drops it on the train.

JerseyBoy's comment brings another commercial to mind: that new one with the guy and his daughter getting into a massive hybrid SUV (I think it's Ford). She asks Dad to drop her off a few blocks away from the theatre so no one sees her riding in an SUV. See, the theatre is in a part of town, she says, where people

On runawayjim's last post... I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure most conventional rail (passenger and freight) tops out around 65 MPH. But I'm glad someone brought up rail. Hybrid cars (and any cars that boast superior fuel economy) are better than gas guzzlers, clearly, but rail, IMO, is the best way to transport passengers in metro areas and freight over long distances. I really like that commercial (I think it's CSX) where the tree lifts the trailer off the truck and drops it on the train.

JerseyBoy's comment brings another commercial to mind: that new one with the guy and his daughter getting into a massive hybrid SUV (I think it's Ford). She asks Dad to drop her off a few blocks away from the theatre so no one sees her riding in an SUV. See, the theatre is in a part of town, she says, where people

Did anyone read the recent story about the guy who converted a Hummer H3 (he does this to vehicles for $25k on the side if I remember correctly from reading about him) to have 600hp and get 60mpg? It is an amazing feat and a very interesting read:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/mo...ad-messiah.html

I'm not quite sure why automobiles haven't really boosted their efficiency much in decades, especially since technology has blossomed and lent itself to countless other miracle inventions that would leave generations past in awe. I will note that this guy has no degree and dropped out of school in the 7th grade yet the best minds in auto manufacturing can't rival what he's creating.

Archived