Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HABANERO7

Gov Bredesen announcement for Polk County

3 posts in this topic

I don't know if anybody on here has heard, but Gov. Phil Bredesen has plans to improve the lodging options within Tennessee's state parks over the next 20 to 30 years. Tuesday Gov. Bredesen announced intentions to build the first western style lodge in Polk County. :yahoo:

The Governor wants to see the State Park system better utilized in giving the population more options for lodging. Gov Bredesen hopes to have funding for the lodge in the 2007-2008 budget which will allow the ball to being rolling on development of this first of many upgrades to the states park system. One interesting note is the possible location for this first lodge. The main area they are looking at is around US 64 within the Cherokee National Forest either on the Ocoee River or down stream on the lake portion (Parksville Lake) The Cherokee National Forest currently takes up approximately 56% of the land in Polk County.

On a personal note, I drive US 64 every day from my home in Copper Basin area to Cleveland to work and this would be a wonderful shot in the arm to the economic steam that the rafting industry has pumped in over the last 15 to 20 years. This was a banner year for rafting with well over 300,000 rafters taking to the river this year.

I vote for the the Parksville Lake location. That is so beautiful. Plus, I just have this desire to keep the Cherokee pristine.

What great news! The whole area there is just beautiful, and it's true that the housing is limited. It could be a huge boost for the tourism business there. I hope they built it soon, and I hope they don't spare too much expense. The grander the better.