Rockford to ban Halloween activities

Timize

Do you agree that all Halloween activites should be banned from public schools?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rockford to ban Halloween activities

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is hillarious, I'd never thought you could find this much laughing material on a Public School website. Just by the looks of it you'd think this guy likes to dressup on occasions. All my principals dressed in three pieces... I bet you this guy drives a Geo.

No Christmas, No Holloween, Recess (in growing number of schools) had the fun sucked out of them. No dadgeball. Can't play tag. Can't watch a cartoon or too. Can't have imagination thanks to overly prescribed ADD drugs. Can't play unless a stupid play date is arranged. What else are Politically Correct junkies going to suck out of kids? Summer Vacation? At the rate this garbage is going we'll have a generation of mindless robots instead of happy, healthy, and creative people that act like real human beings. Oh well, what do I know? I have a personality, watch action movies on my big screen TV, love my country, drive big cars, enjoy steak and mashed potatos, and fart without saying "Excuse Me". Plus, dare I say it, I celebrate Christmas, and all the major Holidays including Holloween, pumkins and all!

As for the ten or so kids (more like their parents if truth be known) that were supposedly scared of the Holloween parties held by the school, I have this to say...

"Mojority Rules, Jack! If you can't take the heat, good bye!"

here is one of the reasons why American schools are so far behind the rest of the world. Not enough care about the thing that really matters, eduacation. I went to Rockford and it was still rediculous back then. You could be a straight A student, but unless you were an athlete, no one really cared about you. Now, I can see the whole "well rounded person" thing being promoted, but those who were football players and dumb as a rock were treated like kings.

Wow, tangent? Anyway, I guess what I mean to say is that Rockford epitomizes everything that is wrong in our school system. While being above the crust compared to the less fortunate schools, they focus way too much on non-educational issues that really don't have a play in the lives of their students.

Like... Halloween? come on. Who cares if they wear a costume or not. If you're going to let kids wear whatever they want to school (modest), I don't see why they can't wear a holloween costume. If they are allowed to have class parties for other reasons, I don't see why they aren't allowed to bring in candy or whatever. If students are wearing ANYTHING to school that gets in the way of their learning... make them wear uniforms.

here is one of the reasons why American schools are so far behind the rest of the world. Not enough care about the thing that really matters, eduacation. I went to Rockford and it was still rediculous back then. You could be a straight A student, but unless you were an athlete, no one really cared about you. Now, I can see the whole "well rounded person" thing being promoted, but those who were football players and dumb as a rock were treated like kings.

Wow, tangent? Anyway, I guess what I mean to say is that Rockford epitomizes everything that is wrong in our school system. While being above the crust compared to the less fortunate schools, they focus way too much on non-educational issues that really don't have a play in the lives of their students.

Like... Halloween? come on. Who cares if they wear a costume or not. If you're going to let kids wear whatever they want to school (modest), I don't see why they can't wear a holloween costume. If they are allowed to have class parties for other reasons, I don't see why they aren't allowed to bring in candy or whatever. If students are wearing ANYTHING to school that gets in the way of their learning... make them wear uniforms.

I don't think this is a "p.c." issue. If that were the case they would be saying they are banning it for the sake that it is a religuos holiday because we can't have our children celebrating an ancient Celtic Pagan holiday turnded All Saints Day turned All Hallmark Day. Maybe the reason our schools are banning all these holidays is really that they are run by Puritans and to have these Pagan holidays is just to Catholic. ;)

My school didnt allow us to wear costumes to school on halloween back when i was in 1st grade in 1997, we got over it.

But i do think its kinda stupid how they dont allow kids to do stuff at school. No wonder kids have ADD, the school wont let them play anything at recess.

The whole thing is rather silly, I don't see the harm. I can see not having Christmas pagents but Halloween, despite its religous foundations, is just fun. On a side note I have been seeing signs at churches that are having "Harvest Celebrations" the night of Oct. 31. I guess me and my hethen child will just get more candy. I have a sweet robot costume lined up, I'll be popin and lockin along Hall St.

This is all so ridiculous. When will schools focus on policies based on improving education instead of worrying about making rules against holidays and traditions? Besides, in this day and age, holidays have become incredibly commercialized and can take on secular meanings in the public school system. Halloween is the time to pretend, and Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanzaa, is the time for giving. Granted all of those have very deep religious or cultural meanings and probably is not appropriate for me to over-generalize. But on the surface, the western world engages in similar activities around the holiday season.

This is all so ridiculous. When will schools focus on policies based on improving education instead of worrying about making rules against holidays and traditions? Besides, in this day and age, holidays have become incredibly commercialized and can take on secular meanings in the public school system. Halloween is the time to pretend, and Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanzaa, is the time for giving. Granted all of those have very deep religious or cultural meanings and probably is not appropriate for me to over-generalize. But on the surface, the western world engages in similar activities around the holiday season.

Unfortunately, schools will not stop worrying about these types of issues until the threat of lawsuits disappear. In many districts, there are those parents who have the Administration office and Superintendent's number on speed dial. And unfortunately many school officials would prefer to just drop/skip a party for a day than have their districts name dragged through the civil mud on the front of the papers.

The irony in this is that when they ban, or even suggest banning, they also get put in the papers. :D

Actually, political correctness has been used as a reason to cancel Halloween celebrations, although perhaps not in the case of Crestwood Elementary.

The following article is hilarious and sad at the same time:

School Says Halloween Disrespectful to Witches

An internal e-mail from October 2000 warned that "the Wiccan religion is a bona fide religion under the law, and its followers are entitled to all the protections afforded more mainstream religions. Building administrators should not tolerate such inappropriate stereotyping (images such as Witches on flying brooms, stirring cauldrons, casting spells, or with long noses and pointed hats) and instead address them as you would hurtful stereotypes of any other minority."

Rockford is getting strange lately. First, some in the community said: "Take down that SEX and the City billboard so my children won't have to see the word S..E..X.!!" :blush: Now others are saying: "How dare you tell my child he can't be a zombie or have a fake axe through his head!!".

Both instances have gotten plenty of press ink. Maybe Rockford people should stop trying to be the center of attention all the time.

Archived