Hendersonville's Indian Lake Village

ATLBrain

This is already well underway, but I thought I'd bring this over from the transit thread. As I started to list the things in this project, it occurred to me how massive it will be. It will have a commuter rail station too.

I've liked Hendersonville since I first visited a friend up there about 15 years ago. I really like the housing stock especially the thousands on lakefront properties. It is definitely an upscale city, but until now it didn't have a town center. This project will change that.

With this project and others, Hendersonville is well on the way to being a city of around 75,000 in a few years. Currently it has about 50,000.

Info on Indian Lake Village, one of the largest projects currently announced. Somebody more familiar with the area can fill us in on the shops that will be coming up there.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:udIEAF...=2&ie=UTF-8

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am skeptical of this development, but I think that is just because i've learned to be skeptical whenever I see the word "lifestyle center" tacked on to a project. Lifestyle centers rarely, if ever, resemble actual solid and well though out urbanism, but this project sounds like it might have a chance to buck that trend. Hopefully it does! I'd love to see Hendersonville take off.

Here's a small picture of the layout of Streets of Indian Lake Town Center. It sits just east of the new Indian Lake Blvd off of Exit 7 of SR 386. And yes, this town center plan is in a different location from the city's town center plan.

56.jpg

Here's an arial view:

56.jpg

This is a list of the tennents that have tentatively signed on as part of the development:

Ann Taylor Loft

Barnes & Noble

Carlyle Jewelers

Chico's

Coldwater Creek

J. Jill

Talbot's

Regal Cinema

This sounds alot like Turkey Creek on the West side of Knoxville. I passed through there on Monday and stopped to check it out. It has to be one of the largest retail developments of this type I've seen. The first thing I thought of was how much of a nightmare this place will be around Christmas. The bad thing was how spread out it is. You couldn't park in one place and walk to all the stores it's such a large place. It's brand new and already cries out for a shuttle service to ease traffic.

That's too bad about Turkey Creek. It certainly looks "too big" from the Interstate. I'm going up to Knoxville this weekend for the game and to see my in-laws. But I assure you that I'll be avoiding Turkey Creek.

Another thing about Hendersonville: This is just one of two huge shopping centers along that street (Indian Lake??) from the bypass (Hwy 386 at the bottom of photo). The other development will be across Indian Lake Blvd. and on the other side of the RR tracks (thin line trees/track that runs from bottom left to upper right in photo). I understand that that project will have 500,000 sq.ft. of retail.

I'm dismayed by the "sea of" parking lots in the rendering... but I understand that H'ville is a sunbelt boom-burb that is virtually totally car dependent. It will be quite interesting to see if the commuter rail becomes a popular option.

Also, isn't there yet another shopping "lifestyle" center planned a little farther down the Hwy 386 bypass? What stores are slated for that one?

I guess they're all banking on the growth predicted for Sumner.

I'll try to dig up the link that I got the figures from. They predict an increase of 50,000 people for the county in the current decade. That would put the population at 180,000 in four years from now. The estimates of the current population put that figure anywhere between 150k and 155k.

Outside of Davidson, I find Sumner County to be the most interesting in the Nashville metro. I think it has to do with Old Hickory Lake and the Cumberland River. Plus, I don't know as much about it as Rutherford and Williamson.

Holy crap that looks horrendous. I've never understood developments like this. Why on earth would you build a FAUX urban environment surrounded by parking? Why not just build the real thing for crying out loud? I do not support development at any cost...I will say this about this thing though: It does appear that it would be far easier to convert this into a responsible urban environment at some point if need be than the average strip mall is. At least this is centralized...

Hmm...I definitely agree with the all too suburban nature of these developments...but I really can't expect anything different from a very suburban city such as Hendersonville.

I do disagree, however, that we are overbuilding. Hendersonville, only 5 years ago, had no retail aside from grocery stores. It had less retail than cities many times smaller such as Lebanon and Brentwood. Rivergate is almost built out and Hendersonville is the only place to expand...you have almost 75,000 people in the cities of Hendersonville and Gallatin alone. We can support quite a bit.

I think the major projects are...

#1. The Streets at Indian Lake

#2. Indian Lake Office Park - supposed to have more square feet than Cool Springs when completed (15years I think)

#3. Glenbrook South - On Hold for the time being...was supposed to be a super upscale outdoor mall w/ Marriot Hotel. The city failed to approve it because the developer didn't want to wait for roads to be expanded

#4. Kennesaw Farms - Between Gallatin and Hendersonville...a large lifestyle center with homes and shopping centers to resemble Churchill Downs in Louisville.

#5. Savannah Marketplace - Also between Hville and Gallatin...

#6. Continued Expansion of Glenbrook North - recently opened restaurants like Salsarita's and stores like Ethan Allen...plans for more restuarant space and a theatre.

there are several more smaller strip malls and such going up around town and especially between Gallatin and Hendersonville.

Being I've lived in Sumner County for over 10 years I think this is all (overall) wonderful for the county. All the new people, new ways of thinking,and new buisnesses (or chains <_< )

I seriously see Gallatin and Hendersonville merging soon.. its almost impossible for them not too with all this development.

Gallatin Road (HWY-31E) is already the most driven road in Sumner County..and the fact that it goes directly to Downtown Nashville helped the county grow to what it is and what it is going to become.

Once Vietnam Vets Parkway is finished extending all the way to HWY-109 there will be definate growth all along Gallatin, Hendersonville.. as well as Portland will grow with more direct connections to Nashville (besides having the I-65) I personally am soooo excited about this.. cause I HATE all the morning rush in Gallatin.. its horrible :(

Of course, parking lots aren't cool but you gotta remember Hendersonville and Gallatin are SUBURBS. If people really wanted urban.. they would move to Nashville not Hendersonville or Gallatin.

So those are my thoughts..

Being I've lived in Sumner County for over 10 years I think this is all (overall) wonderful for the county. All the new people, new ways of thinking,and new buisnesses (or chains <_< )

I seriously see Gallatin and Hendersonville merging soon.. its almost impossible for them not too with all this development.

Gallatin Road (HWY-31E) is already the most driven road in Sumner County..and the fact that it goes directly to Downtown Nashville helped the county grow to what it is and what it is going to become.

Once Vietnam Vets Parkway is finished extending all the way to HWY-109 there will be definate growth all along Gallatin, Hendersonville.. as well as Portland will grow with more direct connections to Nashville (besides having the I-65) I personally am soooo excited about this.. cause I HATE all the morning rush in Gallatin.. its horrible :(

Of course, parking lots aren't cool but you gotta remember Hendersonville and Gallatin are SUBURBS. If people really wanted urban.. they would move to Nashville not Hendersonville or Gallatin.

So those are my thoughts..

It is funny that Hendersonville doesn't really care if the developments look suburban or are surrounded by seas of parking spaces but they care immensely about what the buildings look like. They initially denied Carrabba's because they said the outside walls looked "like a Wal-Mart."

To be quite honest, I think people get scared and get the wrong impression when they hear the term 'urban development'. They think of high-rises and all that sort of stuff. What they don't think of though is probably places like Savannah, Charleston, and Main street small town USA (downtown Gallatin and Franklin for example) which are all fantastic examples of solid urban planning, and all beloved by nearly everyone. Perhaps if people knew exactly what was meant when people like you and I say 'urban development' then they'd be more supportive of it?

Ha BnaBreaker.. I didn't take any offense at all. I'm glad you shared your view points.

I think that the extension will help free traffic in Gallatin. Gallatin Road is heavily used.. and who says development is evil? Find sensible people who DO care about the environment. Look at Station Camp Road.. developers have really tried to keep that area as country-esque as possible (exnay the subdivision at the top of the hill)

You got to think, the average american (by majority) still doesn't want to live in a highrise, apartment, or midrise. They want to have there little .5 to 1 acre lot with there brick home and a garage. That is what a American wants. So naturally developers are swaying for the customer.. and building that.

I have to admit the Kennesaw Farms development REALLY scares me. Cause its going to indeed be MASSIVE. Hopefully its a good mixture of car and pedestrian friendly and good urban feel.

And not to snap at you BnaBreaker.. but if you really don't like that mindset (I stated previously) change it! Try to get involved. Educate. Thats all I can really say.

But yes.. I hate driving thru Gallatin.. so the Vietnam Vets extension is a GODSEND for me.

Archived