Hendersonville's Indian Lake Village

ATLBrain

Ha BnaBreaker.. I didn't take any offense at all. I'm glad you shared your view points.

I think that the extension will help free traffic in Gallatin. Gallatin Road is heavily used.. and who says development is evil? Find sensible people who DO care about the environment. Look at Station Camp Road.. developers have really tried to keep that area as country-esque as possible (exnay the subdivision at the top of the hill)

You got to think, the average american (by majority) still doesn't want to live in a highrise, apartment, or midrise. They want to have there little .5 to 1 acre lot with there brick home and a garage. That is what a American wants. So naturally developers are swaying for the customer.. and building that.

I have to admit the Kennesaw Farms development REALLY scares me. Cause its going to indeed be MASSIVE. Hopefully its a good mixture of car and pedestrian friendly and good urban feel.

And not to snap at you BnaBreaker.. but if you really don't like that mindset (I stated previously) change it! Try to get involved. Educate. Thats all I can really say.

But yes.. I hate driving thru Gallatin.. so the Vietnam Vets extension is a GODSEND for me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree.

I think the problem with todays communties, towns, cities are that they are DECENTRALIZED.

You are right, we as American's are conditioned to have the mindset that cars are better.

Our lives consist of cars.

Sprawl is bad. I agree.

We think that our subdivisions are pleasant and wonderful. Somehow we have to find a medium. (I have no clue how to BEGIN finding a common medium between sprawl and urban growth.)

I don't know. Its really a hopeless cause, Americans are lazy, and car dependable.

Unless somehow counties and cities develop their mass transit systems up, unfortuantely there will be more Vietnam Vet extensions.. suburban sprawl.. ridiculous parking lot "Town Centers".. etc.

But at another end of the spectrum.. I can't help but think that all this developement (in the long run) is going to help Sumner County's economy grow to where we get centralized and people realize that we need to have a more urban core. those are my thoughts.

Yes, the town center sounds promising indeed. Hoever, there is one member of the council who has said she will do any and everything in her power to prevent any building over four stories from going into the town center. While I don't think Hendersonville needs skyscrapers, a 10 story building or so wouldn't hurt.

Hey guys, speaking of "lifestyle shopping malls" in Hendersonville, there was once proposed a shopping center in Hendersonville by the name of Sumner Pointe, which was going to have some of the same type of stores similar to the Indian Lake Village and also a 16-screen theater . I remember reading earlier this year that the developer revised the master plan of the development several times and had trouble getting the final layout approved before the planning commission there in Hendersonville. Does anyone have any other updates on this development?? It seems Sumner County is ripe for development with all the proposals going on.

That's the project that was put on hold b/c the city would not widen the road off the bypass. The developer is the same company that built the center just across the bypass from this project site. There were also concerns from residential neighbors wrt the proverbial bugaboo with any large commercial development, traffic.

• 4 weeks later...

Just took a tour up to Sumner County to look for lakefront property....

Fifteen thousand homes are already u/c or planned for this area. Plus the town center plan has been passed. That will have an additional 900 homes.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...27/story10.html

It sounds like Indian Lake could be an ideal site for a transit village.

The county has approved a TIF funding for a new four-lane boulevard from Indian Lake Blvd. to Saundersville Rd. This area is already set for 2.3 million sq.ft. of office.

http://my.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...316/MICRO060301

• 2 weeks later...

The Hendersonville Town Center Redevelopment Plan has not yet been adopted. It is currently going through the process. Included with the plan are 2 new zoning districts as well as design guidelines. I believe that the large project (750 homes) that is discussed earlier in this thread is simply one private development in the Town Center area. Most of the area comprising the Town Center is currently developed with a few vacant lots (relatively small) spread throughout. There is one large vacant property in the southern part of the area that is proposed for residential development (the project mentioned above) but no plans have yet been submitted formally to the City. The plan, zoning and design guidelines are on the City's website.

Also, the City did not deny Carraba's at any point. The site plan was approved on the condition that the building elevations be resubmitted with changes for further review. The development in which Carraba's is locating is a Planned Unit Development with specific design guidelines (drafted by the developer) that include specifications for building materials.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the retail project in this development is close to completion.

From the Tennessean.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS02/802110333

I still am amazed at all the continued construction in the Nashville area. I am reminded of an article earlier in the year that said there would be more retail construction. Of course this is an ongoing project, along with several other in the area and started long before there was recession talk. I am wondering if we are in a recession or going into a recession, who will be spending the money?

Here is an article from the NBJ about ILV. There is no mention of a Costco, but there is mention that several companies are expressing interest for corp. relocation's. I guess this shows the need for May TC. In comparison this is a billion dollar development where as May TC would be 4 times that.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...7536&page=1

• 2 weeks later...

From the Tennessean today

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...5/1003/BUSINESS

The first office building in Indian Lake is now open. I am amazed at the amount of traffic on VVB. 44,000 cars a day. I am glad I dont have to drive up there. The traffic in this area is almost as bad as the Cool Springs area. More of a reason for a regional mass transit system, and soon.

OK, but I guess my point was that there is a line near there. The key point being that the developers have said that they intend for a commuter rail system to have the use of that line in the future. Here I'm relying solely on memory, and I can't find the original article.

Archived