New SunTrust tower planned for Downtown Durham

RALBOI

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It this is true it seems like Raleigh is quickly becoming the banking capital of the world :lol:
Or the banking capitol NC, at least. No, wait, there's Charlotte... OK, the banking capital of Central North Carolina. No, wait.. there's Winston-Salem, too... make that the banking capital of Wake County. But wait, we already have that title. :wacko:

Still, it would be nice to see SunTrust open a sizeable office in Raleigh. Some of the (never released) renderings of the Reynolds Tower reportedly had SunTrust logos on them, but I thought that deal fell through.

Darn when I read the title of the thread you got my hopes up...I thought Suntrust announced it was partnering with Reynolds or something...
My bad i should have not posted it i hate rumors but it came from a good source but they have been right and wrong in the past really just looking for comments though. :unsure:

My bad i should have not posted it i hate rumors but it came from a good source but they have been right and wrong in the past really just looking for comments though. :unsure:

Do you have a score sheet ? Which ones did they call correctly and which ones did they miss ?

I thought the end of February of the drop dead date for Reynolds ?

JB

:rofl: Good one.

I'm not sure why there was ever a 'drop dead date'. Unless there are other developers clamouring for that land, there isn't any incentive to move until they have all the ducks in a line.

Reynolds has been under the gun since he bought the 0.7 of an acre at 309 Hillsborough St. from the city in August 2001 with plans to build a mixed-use development. He had three years to get permits for the foundation before the city could exercise a buyback option.

Sounded like a drop dead date to me.

Here's an article that extends Reynolds' time to develop the property.

http://www.newsobserver.com/676/story/394205.html

JB

Reynolds has been under the gun since he bought the 0.7 of an acre at 309 Hillsborough St. from the city in August 2001 with plans to build a mixed-use development. He had three years to get permits for the foundation before the city could exercise a buyback option.

Sounded like a drop dead date to me.

Here's an article that extends Reynolds' time to develop the property.

http://www.newsobserver.com/676/story/394205.html

JB

I guess I'm not sure what incentive the city has to buy it back. That option still exists, and isn't really valuable until someone is there to do something with the land.

Maybe I'm missing something.....sorry if I am.

I'm not saying the raleigh rumor is true, but Suntrust inherited the space in Durham when it acquired CCB. I happen to know there is a contract to purchase the building from them, and they will only occupy a branch space on the ground floor. All back office operations are moving to a suburban office park...

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, but that old "iconic" and "art deco" CCB/Suntrust building is just plain ugly. I hope they demolish it and construct a modern, supertall tower in its place.

Are you serious? First off its not that ugly and whatever happened to preservation. Old buildings add character. Most new buildings look the same.

I'm sorry, but that old "iconic" and "art deco" CCB/Suntrust building is just plain ugly. I hope they demolish it and construct a modern, supertall tower in its place.

No. Way.

I love that building - its proportions are great, and it's got that dark, majestic "Gotham-y" feel that 1930s Art Deco buildings always have. If this tower were torn down, there is nothing - NOTHING - that anyone could be build in its place that I would consider to be an "improvement." 50 stories, 150 stories, whatever - leave this tower alone!

I really like West Village and American Tobacco, but I'd really rather see more developments near Main Street inside Durham's "loop." The article is basically just speculation, but I like Greenfire "plan" the most.

I think it's a nice looking building - sort of a mini Empire State Building (both buildings were designed by the same architect). It could use new windows and a facelift though (like replacing the gray, metal sheets that run vertically between the windows).

I'm all for a mix of older structures mixed with new ones.

Archived