New SunTrust tower planned for Downtown Durham

RALBOI

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tower in the CCB building has some pretty small floorplates - based on google earth images, they vary from 60x80 on the lower floors (4800 square feet) to 40x50 on the top floor (2000 sq. ft.) I can see how that's not very efficient for office space, but it might be just right for condos.

The article mentions that the building is "under contract". It also mentions Durham Center as a possible option for relocation in addition to a new tower by Greenfire that folks have speculated about for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

The top two floors, if I am not mistaken, are connected only by staircase. The elevator stops before it gets to the top. That probably means that it would have to be a multi-story unit. Combined, it would probably be about 3,500 square feet.

I predict an announcement will come in the next 7-10 days - given the timelines that have been reported.

That multi-story unit would be the most amazing place to live in the Triangle.

"Where do you live?"

"You know that top section of the CCB/SunTrust building? I live in that."

Anyone know if you can go up there? I'd like to see the view from that high and take some photos.

• 3 months later...

New tower planned for downtown Durham

http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-780242.html

The former Woolworth department store site in downtown has been acquired by a Durham developer who has told city officials of plans for a mixed-use tower on the site that would be at least 75,000 square feet and rival its neighbor, the 17-story SunTrust tower (CCB Building).

The Woolworth building itself was a focal point of the civil rights movement in the 1960s, with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his successor as head of the Southern Leadership Conference, Ralph David Abernathy, visiting the site of a black lunch counter sit-in there.

The development firm said it plans to break ground on the project by autumn 2008.

Yeah, but for Durham, this is good. Weigh the amount of new development for dt raleigh against that of Durham. Sure, a higher structure would be more visible, but this project will add density. That's something that the bull city could surely use. It will be a good solid addition to the skyline.

• 4 months later...

Nothing new on the SunTrust deal, but there was an interesting article on the interest of ex-Durham and Duke jocks coming back to work on redeveloping the city... in particular, Dwayne Washington, who is joining Greenfire (of the Suntrust tower), but also Christian Laettner and Brian Davis of Blue Devil Ventures, Anthony Dilweg, and others.... maybe even Magic Johnson could join Jim Goodmon?

I am excited to hear something about this. The city center has some small local projects coming about, but nothing large at this point. I really think that it needs 100-150people living in the suntrust and a new 17story tower next door with around 1000 young professionals working there. From there all the smaller projects like Baldwin lofts or Rue Cler will finish the area. There is no other way to get a lot of people either living or working in the city center the way Tobacco and West Village have. This is especially since Alliance Arch seems to be sitting on their projects. I heard from them at least 2-3 yrs before Bargain Furn becomes anything more than a empty building. What gives with that?

I am excited to hear something about this. The city center has some small local projects coming about, but nothing large at this point. I really think that it needs 100-150people living in the suntrust and a new 17story tower next door with around 1000 young professionals working there. From there all the smaller projects like Baldwin lofts or Rue Cler will finish the area. There is no other way to get a lot of people either living or working in the city center the way Tobacco and West Village have. This is especially since Alliance Arch seems to be sitting on their projects. I heard from them at least 2-3 yrs before Bargain Furn becomes anything more than a empty building. What gives with that?

Alliance is an arch firm, but they are world-wide though, and I would think they could garner the capital. Maybe they are working hard on a different building, I don't know, but I just think it's unfortunate that the Bargain building for be empty for so many years. Also the units that are currently for sale at the Elenor are $250,000 for around 800sq feet, which is far higher per sq ft than the Kress, which if you have seen both, is superior to the Elenor although the Kress does not have a roofdeck or a underground parking garage. Alliance has done absolutely beautiful work at Tobacco, but I wish they would move faster. By waiting they will sure have their future units appreciate in value thanks to how much Greenfire will be doing in a couple of years.

Probably because there aren't any renderings yet. Reynolds Tower was a plan for 5-6 years until we saw anything--although that was unusual. Has Greenfire officially purchased the Suntrust building yet?

I recall a previous article mentioning that a new tower would be built nearby for the bank, then Sun Trust would rent from Greenfire until their new tower was done... at which time Greenfire could convert the vacant offices to condos.

Archived