New SunTrust tower planned for Downtown Durham

RALBOI

As far as I know Greenfire already purchased the lot so the city doesn't own it anymore, and the I think the whole library plan is out, which is a good thing b/c I think it would be much better to have our new signature tower full of workers. They do have to have I think 8000sq feet go to the museum dedicated to Black Wall Street and the MLK sit in on the first floor, which will be awesome. I think the major hurdle now for the tower is obtaining a signature tenat who will pre-lease a substanial portion of it before any bank will finance it. Their web site says preleasing for fall 09 so it is their idea at least for it to happen sooner rather than later so we will see. I think a beautiful glass tower similar in shape to the CCB building will be amazing. Greenfire does own a lot on that block so it up to them to come through.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I know Greenfire already purchased the lot so the city doesn't own it anymore, and the I think the whole library plan is out, which is a good thing b/c I think it would be much better to have our new signature tower full of workers. They do have to have I think 8000sq feet go to the museum dedicated to Black Wall Street and the MLK sit in on the first floor, which will be awesome. I think the major hurdle now for the tower is obtaining a signature tenat who will pre-lease a substanial portion of it before any bank will finance it. Their web site says preleasing for fall 09 so it is their idea at least for it to happen sooner rather than later so we will see. I think a beautiful glass tower similar in shape to the CCB building will be amazing. Greenfire does own a lot on that block so it up to them to come through.

• 2 weeks later...
That, and there's surprisingly few rooms there. Multi-day conferences at the civic center often have to find other accommodations and shuttle their participants to and from the hotels. Hopefully, with more business travelers in the area, another mid- or high-rise hotel or two will be erected before the end of the decade.

From the Herald sun article:

It could be the first hotel to be LEED certified in North Carolina, Greenfire officials said. The goal is at least a silver rating, they said.

The Hill Building, built in 1937, was designed by the same firm that designed the Empire State Building. It most recently was the regional headquarters for SunTrust Bank. Greenfire bought the building last year for $4.1 million.

The bank maintains a retail bank branch and commercial and mortgage lending operations in lower floors. The SunTrust sign atop the building will remain in place.

Earlier, another local developer was planning to put a 70-room boutique hotel along West Main Street near Buchanan Boulevard in Trinity Park.

But those plans have evolved into a 100-suite extended-stay hotel that would incorporate the historic, 81-year-old former McPherson Hospital building.

Wow, I had no idea! That's a pretty cool claim to fame. At the time it was built, Durham was larger than Raleigh, mostly due to big tobacco.

Bull City, that last part speaks to the other hotel project you were speaking of I think.

great news! one correction. The first LEED certified hotel in NC will be the 8-story Proximity Hotel in Greensboro. Opening date is mid-2007. The Proximity Hotel is seeking a gold certification.

certainly this is a great re-use for this building and its great to see another office tower proposal. it must be another office tower and not a new Sun Trust Tower because I read Sun Trust was moving to Diamond View 1 overlooking DBAP.

I agree, parking should'nt be a problem. The parking decks are like $2 a day I believe, and they are always empty at night (sadly). I can't imagine where they would even do valet since there is no place to 'drop' off your car the way the Marriot has.

I'm so tired of the mentality that every building needs its own private parking lot or garage. Perhaps they should just demolish what remains on Parrish Street and just put a surface lot there. I wouldn't want anyone to have to walk more than a few feet :lol: .

Parking already is a problem in downtown Durham: There's too much of it!

• 2 months later...

i would love someone with some serious cash to buy the old CCB building and tear that awful sign off the top and replace it with a spire/antenna so it would look like the Empire State building. This building was one of the two original designs that the empire state building was modeled after.

Archived