The Heavener Runestone

Here's an 'out-there' topic. I don't know if everyone is familiar with the Heavener Runestone but it's a park over in Oklahoma, not too far away from the Arkansas border near Poteau. The Heavener Runestone is the most well-known example of a number of runes found in the area. I think many people tend to dismiss the idea that Vikings could have made their way over into our region of the country. Granted it may not be likely but then again there was a time when most people didn't think the Vikings had come over to North America before Columbus either. There are several other runestones around the area, the Shawnee Runestone and the Poteau Runestone. There are also though to be some possible runes on Turkey Mountain close to the Tulsa area as well. There supposedly were more runes but were vandalized or taken in the early 20th century. I don't recall hearing about any runes being found in Arkansas itself. But some are rather close to the Arkansas-Oklahoma border. Anyway just curious to see what people's opinions are.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an 'out-there' topic. I don't know if everyone is familiar with the Heavener Runestone but it's a park over in Oklahoma, not too far away from the Arkansas border near Poteau. The Heavener Runestone is the most well-known example of a number of runes found in the area. I think many people tend to dismiss the idea that Vikings could have made their way over into our region of the country. Granted it may not be likely but then again there was a time when most people didn't think the Vikings had come over to North America before Columbus either. There are several other runestones around the area, the Shawnee Runestone and the Poteau Runestone. There are also though to be some possible runes on Turkey Mountain close to the Tulsa area as well. There supposedly were more runes but were vandalized or taken in the early 20th century. I don't recall hearing about any runes being found in Arkansas itself. But some are rather close to the Arkansas-Oklahoma border. Anyway just curious to see what people's opinions are.

Just curious Rod, but is this a thought that you came up with on your own, or did you hear or read something that made you say to yourself, "hey, there could really be something to this!?"

I'm just curious, because a thought like this would never have entered my mind.

Archived