2006 Mecklenburg Elections

MZT

Well last year we had 4 bond proposals, and I remember the most expenseive two (CMS and the Parks bonds) went down to defeat. The two smallest ones passed (I think CPCC development was one of them).

This year we have an 85M street improvement proposal, a 10M low income assisted housing proposal, and a 25M landscaping and lighting improvements proposal.

These don't seem to be as politically energizing as the CMS bonds, which were around 400M and voters went for the NO button at shock at the cost and general disgust with CMS.

I think the parks bonds that were defeated, were around the size of the 2006 street improvement proposal. But I suspect these will pass, since just about everybody drives and hates crummy roads. The Observer blog sure is full of folks who don't think we can build enough of them. :rolleyes:

The outcome of the other two will be interesting. Voters might not care as much about them, but it isn't as much money on the table to debate.

And oh yeah, there are people to vote for too. If you pay attention to "that kind of stuff". :D

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for the school bonds last year because regardless of a child's race or economic status or neighborhood we are all in this world together and every child deserves an equal education. Of course the bonds went down in defeat because of the refusal of suburbanites and inner city parents to compromise on building plans . I plan on voting yes for the less "hot button" bonds this year as well. We definitely need road and pedestrian improvements and assistance for hardworking county residents that should not be penalized into living in substandard housing just because they don't make large salaries. As far as the Meck commission races go I am already too involved in that offline and would rant more about it in this thread so I will spare everyone that :blush:

CMS gets close to 1/2 of all of the county taxes paid by individuals in this county.

CMS got just over $411,000,000 to operate and maintain the schools in the 07 budget year which is an increas of about 9% of what it got in the prior year. About $90M of this amount is a payment scheduled this year against the current debt that has been run up from past bond issues. The debt service increased by 16% over the prior year. I believe these increases are higher than the increases in revenue that come from county growth.

In 2006 2/3rds of all of the schools in CMS failed to meet federal achievement goals. Given this is a pretty low standard in the first place, it means that CMS has been spending a lot of money but not doing its job.

County property taxes went up 10% last year.

The bonds listed above appear to be city bonds however, so it will the the Charlotte city tax payers that will pay off that debt.

Transportation Projects $85.2 million

$68.2 million for a combination of transportation improvements, infrastructure and enhancements including:

Improvements to Fred D. Alexander Boulevard, portions of Old Pineville Road, the intersections of Dixie River Road/Steele Creek and Harris Boulevard/Milton Road

Widening of rural roads overburdened by traffic

Bridge replacement or repair

Traffic calming devices such as speed humps and traffic circles

Replacement and maintenance of traffic signals, signs and cameras

Minor roadway improvements

Planning and design of future roadways

Transportation improvements in the Center City

Sidewalks, curb and gutter, pedestrian intersection improvements, on-street parking, bicycle facilities along East Blvd., The Plaza/Central and West End (West Trade St. and Beatties Ford Rd).

New bikeways incorporated into existing and future roadways$12.0 million for new sidewalks and existing sidewalk improvements throughout the City. Half of all new sidewalk construction occurs along thoroughfares, the City

Archived