State Street Station

DigitalSky

I stumbled upon this little gem tonight, I had no idea it was there... it's a collection of shops and offices that has a very european feel to it without trying too hard. Has some cool restaurants too (La bamba, Napoli, etc) and it's very pedestrian friendly... the center isn't very large, its just south of the Golden Gate Shopping Center (the shopping center with both a Harris Teeter and Food Lion)..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&om=1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the other place with jazz was called Le Pasta or something like that... I remember The Secret Tearoom looked really like something you'd find in a quaint English town. Yeah it did have a New Orleans feel to it definately... I wonder how businesses do around there because for a Friday night it seemed dead :-(

The demographics of the area don't seem to do Friday night "nightlife" if you know what I mean.

I think the other place with jazz was called Le Pasta or something like that... I remember The Secret Tearoom looked really like something you'd find in a quaint English town. Yeah it did have a New Orleans feel to it definately... I wonder how businesses do around there because for a Friday night it seemed dead :-(

This place is sandwiched right in the midst of a neighborhood. When I was in Jr High school, before this area was renovated(25-26 yrs ago), there was an XXX movie theater in this place that is now State Street Station. I would guess that you will not see a lot of "night life" returning beyond any traffic into the resturants that are there now. They really turned it around from a seedy part of town to a really nice place to stop and shop. We eat at LaBamba every once in a while.

Cafe Pasta and State Street. I used to live near there. I used to live off of Wafco Lane near Greensboro College close to downtown. Greensboro has a LOT of potential with all the colleges and historic bldgs. As far as NC cities go, I know most like the back of my hand. Greensboro is far and away the easiest to travel through (Wendover, Market, Friendly). Greensboro has a peaceful pace compared to Raleigh and Charlotte areas.

I hope State Street sticks around.

• 10 months later...

State Street Station is an upscale shopping village located about a mile and a half north of of downtown Greensboro. It once was a shopping/business district for the nearby mill village from the 1920s. The architecture resembles French Quarter New Orleans an today serves surrounding affluent neighborhoods. The village includes restaurants, with a few hosting live jazz music in the evenings. Plans are now underway for 200 condos above street-front shopping. Adding two to four stories of condos above street-level shopping is a long-term vision. This is something that will not happen overnight. It will likely take as much as 5 years before this project is complete.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...018/-1/breaking

State Street Station is an upscale shopping village located about a mile and a half north of of downtown Greensboro. It once was a shopping/business district for the nearby mill village from the 1920s. The architecture resembles French Quarter New Orleans an today serves surrounding affluent neighborhoods such as Sunset Hills and Irving Park. The village includes restaurants, with a few hosting live jazz music in the evenings. Plans are now underway for 200 condos above street-front shopping. Adding two to four stories of condos above street-level shopping is a long-term vision. This is something that will not happen overnight. It will likely take as much as 5 years before this project is complete.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...018/-1/breaking

Archived