What city in North Carolina has had the most proposed downtown high-rise buildings that were never built?

Atlside

What city in North Carolina has had the most proposed downtown high-rise buildings that were never built?

You can post even buildings not in the downtown core if they would have been one of the cities taller buildings.

Here are some that I know of:

Charlotte

Four First Union Center

201 South Tryon 30 stories

Duke Energy Tower

615 East Morehead 34 stories

Two Corporate Center 31 stories

Holton Square I

Holton Square II

Holton Square III

Hotel Independence Square

BarclaysAmerican Center 28 stories

300 South Tryon Street 25 stories

Third at Church Apartments 24 stories

Durham

Triangle Tower non-highrise (icon observation tower never built in RTP)-not downtown

Durham Centre II (twin tower never built)

University Towers (other towers proposed in the area never built)-not downtown

Erwin Square Towers compex (only one highrise was built)-near downtown

The Residences at Ashton Place I 310 ft 27 stories

The Residences at Ashton Place II 310 ft 27 stories

Raleigh

First Citizens Bank Building 406 ft 30 stories

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall hearing that both University Tower and Erwin Square when built in the mid 80's were supposed to have 2 or 3 companion towers located on their properties each. But several factors including the end of the speculative office tower boom age combined with a non downtown height restriction pretty much killed those plans.

As far as The Residences at Ashton Place I was excited when I read the story about 4 years ago, then I saw the picture of the buildings and I was like "eww" lol At the time I pretty much just liked tall buildings, hadn't really grasped any concept of urban design or street level activity but those buildings reminded me of low income apartment towers in, say, the Bronx lol

The Durham Centre twin is still a possibility, but the project has been in a holding pattern off and on for almost 20 years so I'm not really expecting news anytime soon.

Atlside, of those you posted in CLT, how many were cancellations after 9-11? I have a friend who is friends with a planner in CLT who said (yes, not very accurate reporting at this point...) that 7 DT scrapers were cancelled as a direct cause of 9-11. I thought that sounded high, and would be a good excuse for a developer with other issues..

Archived