Vote for Little Rock's skyline in this poll

Architect

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second tower under construction is the conversion of the old Bar Association building adjacent to the Double-tree - about 7 floors (or so?) are being added to the current 6 or 7. Some photos have been posted by others elsewhere in the forum.

The other tower I referred to is the (admittedly rumored) upcoming tower by Moses Tucker....not exactly hard science yet, but they've been public about the fact that they've only built about 1/3 of what they plan downtown.

The next high rise, whether it's 40, 30, or 24 storiesas I've heard different stories, must be announced fairly soon. They've already named it and talked to select people about buying preconstruction units but no announcements have been made. I actually found this out this weekend from someone I know is connected, I was surprised I hadn't already heard more about it.

I'm sure it's determined but I'd heard different things. My friends that saw the information for the presold condos said it was 30. I'd heard on here, I think, that MT couldn't fund 30 and was scaling it back to 24. I don't know if it's mixed use or not.

You're the architect, dig for us, brother.

From what I have heard- (some of it while sitting in Jimmy's office one afternoon- so more like overheard, thus take it with a grain of salt as I only heard one side of the conversation) they are planning to actually build right over the Rock Street Lofts-or somehow will be incorporating that structure into a new multi use building providing retail space, the Hilton Garden Inn, as well as Condos a'la the Marriott. In addition they configuration will create an urban plaza and green space.

From what I have heard- (some of it while sitting in Jimmy's office one afternoon- so more like overheard, thus take it with a grain of salt as I only heard one side of the conversation) they are planning to actually build right over the Rock Street Lofts-or somehow will be incorporating that structure into a new multi use building providing retail space, the Hilton Garden Inn, as well as Condos a'la the Marriott. In addition they configuration will create an urban plaza and green space.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance that the city will give a facelift to some of the taller buildings making up LR's skyline? Not sure if it's financially feasible since there seems to be a lot of other things occupying the budget right now, but I there are a few buildings that definatley need to catch up with post 1975.

Is there any chance that the city will give a facelift to some of the taller buildings making up LR's skyline? Not sure if it's financially feasible since there seems to be a lot of other things occupying the budget right now, but I there are a few buildings that definatley need to catch up with post 1975.

Well, as an architect, I'd offer that none of the "big 5" need to be renovated. Union National Bank (or whatever its now called) was overhauled a few years ago when its marble facade was replaced due to wear. The only other "non-curtainwall/glass" building is Worthen/Bank of America, and it looks great. Regions, Metropolitan & Stephens are all in great shape, and honestly, are all still quite fresh in appearance.

Little Rock's skyline, by and large, has a fairly modern/contemporary look - as opposed to say Memphis, which arguably looks old and tired.

I agree. I'm not big fan of Union National but I don't know what else could be done with it. There's a building that's somewhere in the 15-ish downtown I haven't cared for that's smaller than the Big 5 that looks a bit dated. Aside from that one as you say we have a pretty healthy modern skyline. The Metropolitan Nat'l, Stephens Building, Bank of America, and Peabody all look modern enough to be brand new.

Ah...you're referring to the "Tower Building" - built in the 60's, it was Little Rock's first modern high-rise. If you think it looks dated now, you should have seen it (or do you remember) when its exterior curtainwall had bright yellow panels (now grey)! Actually, the building has good bones, and this Modern style is now much more in vogue.

The main one that I'm talking about, and unfortunatly I don't know the name of it, but it's the building on the far left in this photo (just to the left of the BoA building). I've never liked that one. You guys are more qualified to comment on it than I am, but imo, the Regions building needs a little updating as well. It always seems like it's discolored when I see it up close. The updates to the Metropolitan Building were great for the night skyline. I'd like to see more improvements similar to it.

300px-Littlerockskyline.jpg

The main one that I'm talking about, and unfortunatly I don't know the name of it, but it's the building on the far left in this photo (just to the left of the BoA building). I've never liked that one. You guys are more qualified to comment on it than I am, but imo, the Regions building needs a little updating as well. It always seems like it's discolored when I see it up close. The updates to the Metropolitan Building were great for the night skyline. I'd like to see more improvements similar to it.

300px-Littlerockskyline.jpg

Archived