Vote for Little Rock's skyline in this poll

Architect

The main one that I'm talking about, and unfortunatly I don't know the name of it, but it's the building on the far left in this photo (just to the left of the BoA building). I've never liked that one. You guys are more qualified to comment on it than I am, but imo, the Regions building needs a little updating as well. It always seems like it's discolored when I see it up close. The updates to the Metropolitan Building were great for the night skyline. I'd like to see more improvements similar to it.

300px-Littlerockskyline.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, that's One Union National Plaza. Admittedly, its not my favorite, but it doesn't stick out to me as horribly out of date. Unfortunately, all of the veritical "white" marble ribs on the exterior veneer that divides the windows was recently replaced by a metal panel 3-4 years ago due to problems with the original material. Oh the day when one could actually specify marble or limestone as an exterior building material!!!

I agree. I don't know what you could really do to update it.

The Tower Building that I was complaining about is the one between the Bank of America building and Metropolitan Nat'l building in the center of the picture.

Does anyone remember when they updated the Doctors' Building on University and I-630? When they took off the blue and replaced it with neutral-colored paneling that was all it took to make it look far more up-to-date. Your story about the Tower Building reminded me of that.

www.emporis.com has nice updated lists of the high rise buildings in different cities and the page on LR is helpful.

I gotta agree with Architect in saying that our skyline looks fairly modern compared to cities like Memphis and even San Antonio. San Antonio has a lot of its skycrapers that are concrete and not metal and glass. They are building some new towers now, but its downtown is nothing like Dallas or Houston. Our downtown may not be as dense, but it looks more modern.

Be thankful that a city of Little Rock's size has the height that it has. I'm not trying to say anything bad about these cities but Jackson's, Huntsville's and Shreveport's skylines don't compare to Little Rock's and these are cities of similar size.

Huntsville? I thought Mobile was a better comparison, and while LR's skyline was most definitely more impressive than Mobile's a couple of years ago, their actually about to complete one of the few new "office" skyscrapers in the country right now at an impressive 44 stories.

Sorry to butt in here, but this isn't right...

Whoa there... no skyline? Granted, Huntsville's skyline is small and short (might I add fast-growing :D ), but we do have one, actually two if you count the Medical District as a separate skyline.

But really, Little Rock's skyline is much better than Huntsville's. I'm not contesting that.

Wow, people still think that Huntsville's metro is only 370K? That is the "official" Census estimate, but most people around here use the CSA numbers (see sig), which are more in line with the commuting patterns.

Whoa there... no skyline? Granted, Huntsville's skyline is small and short (might I add fast-growing :D ), but we do have one, actually two if you count the Medical District as a separate skyline.

But really, Little Rock's skyline is much better than Huntsville's. I'm not contesting that.

Wow, people still think that Huntsville's metro is only 370K? That is the "official" Census estimate, but most people around here use the CSA numbers (see sig), which are more in line with the commuting patterns.

I'm not talking MSA, just city population. If that was the case, Shreveport's MSA is smaller than Little Rock's as well, but Shreveport proper's population is slightly larger than Little Rock proper. It doesn't make any difference, Little Rock has a more impressive skyline.

Archived