New River Valley

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than likely most of their clientle is made of fellow tech students, so it would be a smart move on their part to relocate closer to that market.

I would love for them to get rolling on constructing the lifestyle center, seeing as I graduate in little over a year.

• 1 month later...

Walking back from Campus the other day I noticed that a Moe's Southwest Grill is going in the former Crossroad Store, which kind of surprised me since I was always told that chains were prohibited from college avenue to Roanoke St.

Definitely excited about this coming though.

Construction update at NRV Mall

The upgrades are definetly starting to make NRV Mall look like a legitimate mall (it's finally getting a food court), but including a branch of a community college inside of it kind of makes it look tacky and lame.

They used to have a food court back when it first opened. It was too big for the mall and and it got cut in half in the '90s. There used to be line dancing there on weeknights. No joke. When PacSun came in, they removed it.

You can still see remnants of it on the hallway to the theater.

According to an article in Collegiate Times, the lifestyle center is going to be called Boulevards at Blacksburg and is expected to be open by the first football game of 2008. It had previously stated that the Movie theater was going to be 10 screens, but the article states that it's now 14. 30+ screens in the NRV seems a little overboard I think. Also, there will be a Beamer's Steakhouse and a Superplay USA.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I randomly came across a website for an Architectual Firm in North Carolina and under their portfolio were designs for a few projects in Blacksburg and Radford.

I'm still liking this design. It's rather unigue in the area.

Condo/Hotel in Blacksburg

I'd like to know how we went from this University Town Centre to the horrible strip mall center going up in its location (the project that spurred the wal-mart debate in blacksburg)

Where is this even going in Blacksburg? The Station at Dowdy Street

And this looks like it could become an interesting project in Radford. River Place

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm so glad I found this thread, even though it's not very active... :ermm:

Nevertheless, I finally joined the Sustainable Land Development Club @ Virginia Tech on one of their outings last Tuesday (4/14/09) to the Mt. Tabor neighborhood development just off of N.Main St. I'm not actually in the club, but wanted to get involved with anything I can in this exciting field of urban planning/etc.

Check these sites for cool things happening around Blacksburg:

Mt. Tabor - http://www.greenvalleybuildersinc.com/inde...=mttabormeadows

Blacksburg Motor Company Building - http://www.recycle.vt.edu/sustain/?p=108

I have also been skimming the Comp. Plan for Blacksburg today and I'm very excited with the plans for Main Street between Prices Fork Road and College Ave. They are going to put in two round-a-bouts at Prices Fork & Main and Alumni Mall & Main! Very cool. They're shaping this section of Downtown to be very pedestrian friendly. I can't wait to come back to town and visit in the years to come. I'm sad I'm getting ready to graduate soon and leave this wonderful town.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived