St. George Building to be Condos

flith

St.jpg

A developer has purchased the former St. George Hotel from a bankruptcy court. It's located across on the 1400 block of Market St. across from the Choo Choo near the Clark Condos. He intends on saving the facade and building a new building behind it. It will also have commercial space on the ground floor.

Also the former Nick's Liquor Building (nearby) will be renovated for residential/office/commercial.

I used to go there back in '97. It was cheaper than Jax near the Aquarium.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to hear about this. That area is really coming on strong. I like what has been done to the building next door (at the corner of Main) with the ground level courtyard. Looks like perfect mixed-use office/retail.

The Choo-Choo has long been an outpost far from the edge of the bustling DT area. Happy to see that it's changing for the better. I even saw life on Main St. too.

Hankster, do you know if that Mexican restaurant on Main is any good? It appears to be crowded a lot of times.

Great to hear about this. That area is really coming on strong. I like what has been done to the building next door (at the corner of Main) with the ground level courtyard. Looks like perfect mixed-use office/retail.

The Choo-Choo has long been an outpost far from the edge of the bustling DT area. Happy to see that it's changing for the better. I even saw life on Main St. too.

Hankster, do you know if that Mexican restaurant on Main is any good? It appears to be crowded a lot of times.

You may be thinking of La Altena at the corner of Main and Market. It's a great little authentic mexican restaurant. I live 2 blocks from it and go quite often.

Back to the original topic. The St. George is a great building that needs a LOT of work. I believe it's on the historic preservation list so he has to keep the front facade. There is a massive tree that is growing in the rear of the building. It won't be cheap to fix and I'm sure those condos will be very pricey.

You may be thinking of La Altena at the corner of Main and Market. It's a great little authentic mexican restaurant. I live 2 blocks from it and go quite often.

Back to the original topic. The St. George is a great building that needs a LOT of work. I believe it's on the historic preservation list so he has to keep the front facade. There is a massive tree that is growing in the rear of the building. It won't be cheap to fix and I'm sure those condos will be very pricey.

I don't recall seeing fish tacos on their menu. You may want to try out The Blue Plate, next door to Hennen's and Cold Stone Creamery downtown. Blue Water, next to Big River, has Lobster Tacos and I believe Easy Seafood has fish taco's every now and then.

Sorry, just noticing this thread. I was in Chattanooga a while ago and noticed there were a few historic buildings in the Choo Choo area that needed some work. Great to see someone is doing something about it!! If I remember correctly, though, this isn't the only historic building in the area that is in pretty bad condition/empty. That area has such potential with infill and historic rehabilitations!!

Sorry, just noticing this thread. I was in Chattanooga a while ago and noticed there were a few historic buildings in the Choo Choo area that needed some work. Great to see someone is doing something about it!! If I remember correctly, though, this isn't the only historic building in the area that is in pretty bad condition/empty. That area has such potential with infill and historic rehabilitations!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
St.jpg

A developer has purchased the former St. George Hotel from a bankruptcy court. It's located across on the 1400 block of Market St. across from the Choo Choo near the Clark Condos. He intends on saving the facade and building a new building behind it. It will also have commercial space on the ground floor.

Also the former Nick's Liquor Building (nearby) will be renovated for residential/office/commercial.

I used to go there back in '97. It was cheaper than Jax near the Aquarium.

Archived