MidTowne Village Development Updates

GRDadof3

Saw today that they broke ground on this place. This building, in addition to the new Medical Towers and GVSU's Health Sciences building, will really reshape the "front door" of downtown coming in from the East. This sits looking right out over I-196.

455Union.jpg

E380A590681211DA996BB1F718F73B1D.jpg

E8221A20681211DAA4E9F92A18F73B1D.jpg

E6C8CBB0681211DA8F818BD018F73B1D.jpg

Eeek! It is cold today :cry: Sorry for the blurry pictures.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a very nice looking building. How far east of the GVSU building is it?

I haven't heard much about this development. Are they affiliated with Spectrum? Or is it an independent medical business?

Hombre: Just East of College in the Midtowne Village project. I believe it is a consolidation of a number of women's health services offices around the area, both MMPC and Spectrum affiliated (I believe). Here's an old thread with some article links:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16913

That will be a great entrance coming from the east. I thought they were having some problems because the state was trying to limit the number of surgical rooms outside of a hospital. Good to see they got it all worked out and hopefully this will jumpstart the rest of Midtowne Village :thumbsup:

Joe

• 3 months later...

Well there goes two whole floors!

That parking ramp down the hill is new and not just out of site in the old rendering, right?

In their request it says they are eliminating four floors of parking from the building (I think it was in the back), and adding a five story garage on the side of the hill. I wonder if this had something to do with bringing the height down. I don't think Commissioners were too thrilled with the original height at that location.

In their request it says they are eliminating four floors of parking from the building (I think it was in the back), and adding a five story garage on the side of the hill. I wonder if this had something to do with bringing the height down. I don't think Commissioners were too thrilled with the original height at that location.

Actually I did miscount, and it looks like three floors were eliminated on the front (if the glass on the front of the original is taken to be two stroies tall, the original plan was actually seven floors tall.)

In looking at the floorplan, the building looks like it was made shorter because the parking ramp was eliminated on the backside. You'll have to go to the agenda to see the floorplan. GRCentro, I wouldn't consider this building "downtown", would you? More of a neighborhood center area, although downtown is kind of stretching out. The original height was allowed by the Planning Commission, with a variance I believe.

I believe that perhaps cost has something to do with the change in the rendering. I would think that it is far cheaper to build the parking ramp down the hill out in the open than having parking under ground. Unfortuantely by doing this the building loses some height. Did you hear if this plan was approved at the meeting last night?

That will be a great entrance coming from the east. I thought they were having some problems because the state was trying to limit the number of surgical rooms outside of a hospital. Good to see they got it all worked out and hopefully this will jumpstart the rest of Midtowne Village :thumbsup:

Joe

Just to clarify - the group has not worked out their issues regarding operating rooms with the state. They have extended their application for the ORs and should hear a decision from the state by May 1st.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello Joedowntow,

this is ParkRowJoe, I wanted to pass along the updated rendering of our building but was not sure how to do it. I am new to the fourm and did not want to make an inappropriate post.

How can i send you the the new elevation.

PS: I thought you might be interested to know that we are attracting an international clientel. I suspect the news of the med-mile (with it's internatioal workforce) is driving that attivity.

Thanks for the help.

Archived