MidTowne Village Development Updates

GRDadof3

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to break it to you guys, but that little park "greenspace" is part of the drainage system. It's essentially a big "bathtub" with grass planted and sidewalks. They can't even plant trees in it, so I don't think they can do something structural like a fountain.

Hate to break it to you guys, but that little park "greenspace" is part of the drainage system. It's essentially a big "bathtub" with grass planted and sidewalks. They can't even plant trees in it, so I don't think they can do something structural like a fountain.

I wonder if it's a raingarden -- which I don't think would be the type of grass that is usually found in lawns.

Perhaps then they could plant some (native? although I don't think much prairie spread this far north) prairie flowers and grasses that like well drained soil rather than boring turf grass?

Perhaps then they could plant some (native? although I don't think much prairie spread this far north) prairie flowers and grasses that like well drained soil rather than boring turf grass?

They could even perhaps do some sort of planter box or something of that nature that isn't attached to the ground.

Rice paddy. Or cattails.

I think they wanted something that people could actually use, or sit on and eat lunch, play catch, etc.. I suggested putting large planters with trees, much like they do (did) near 5/3's office building on Calder Plaza. Dave said they are looking at some possible additions to the park.

I think they wanted something that people could actually use, or sit on and eat lunch, play catch, etc.. I suggested putting large planters with trees, much like they do (did) near 5/3's office building on Calder Plaza. Dave said they are looking at some possible additions to the park.

You guys have struck a nerve on this one. We had a fountain in the original design. But, when we put the detention system and the grey water recovery system in and voila...no ability to put trees or a fountain in. I was quite unhappy.

Next we have the grass thing...well last summer when we planted (and this summer too) we are under construction. We decided not to spend a pile of dough on expensive landscaping so that the construction crews could rest their porta-johns on them. I am guessing that it wont be until summer 2009 before the landscaping looks really nice there.

• 1 month later...

Park Row is looking pretty nice! I love the front porches.

2546025003_e8e4a5b2e3_b.jpg

I haven't seen the insides, but I LOVE these condos! They are very big city, chicagoesque to me, although they aren't really on a through street like they would be in Chicago. I love the porches and the little deck areas.

I hadn't walked down there, so I hadn't seen the angle above. It's nice as well. I was just thinking I should walk down and take some closer up photos of this place. Now you've done it for me! Thanks Jeff! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well there isn't much different on the outside of these buildings since the last pictures, but I figured I'd post some "beauty shots" I took last night while the sun was setting.

2590286626_9c230694f0_b.jpg

2589449903_4204f111fd_b.jpg

2589531933_979bef33a4_b.jpg

2589559415_7311c35d07_b.jpg

They need to start construction of that ramp and hotel here so I have something to watch after the other buildings are finished.

2590395400_2397461ac4_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well there isn't much different on the outside of these buildings since the last pictures, but I figured I'd post some "beauty shots" I took last night while the sun was setting.

2589531933_979bef33a4_b.jpg

The first tenants have moved into the new Women's Health Center of West Michigan (or is it the Grand Rapids Women's Health Center?):

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/story.asp...19&catid=48

Ah, never mind. GR Women's Health is the practice name, Women's Health Center of WM is the building name.

http://www.grandrapidswomenshealth.com/

And 4 floors of Tower 25 are now occupied (probably should go in the other thread).

The first tenants have moved into the new Women's Health Center of West Michigan (or is it the Grand Rapids Women's Health Center?)

I had been wondering about the name ever since I saw the banners go up for the Grand Rapids Women's Health Center

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hyatt Hotel plan shelved...

"Plans for a Hyatt Place at MidTowne Village have been put off after costs came in higher than expected and the availability of capital to finance the project tightened...The news follows RDV Corp.'s decision to cancel plans for a hotel in its Michigan Street medical complex...Dave Levitt, whose Third Coast Development Partners assembled the MidTowne property and had been working with the potential hotel developer, said the project isn't completely dead yet...'I've got projects all over town that I don't think would get financed today,' he said. 'I think over the next few months you're going to see a lot of stuff go into the deep freeze.'"

...Sounds like grrreat news, eh?

Hyatt Hotel plan shelved...

"Plans for a Hyatt Place at MidTowne Village have been put off after costs came in higher than expected and the availability of capital to finance the project tightened...The news follows RDV Corp.'s decision to cancel plans for a hotel in its Michigan Street medical complex...Dave Levitt, whose Third Coast Development Partners assembled the MidTowne property and had been working with the potential hotel developer, said the project isn't completely dead yet...'I've got projects all over town that I don't think would get financed today,' he said. 'I think over the next few months you're going to see a lot of stuff go into the deep freeze.'"

...Sounds like grrreat news, eh?

That's pretty disappointing. At a time when we need development and jobs, the banks are pulling back.

That's pretty disappointing. At a time when we need development and jobs, the banks are pulling back.

Welcome to the credit-crisis... right?

I agree, it's depressing to see stuff like that get shelved.

You never know if they're just blaming it on the banks though.... maybe the resistance to giving out credit gave them a convenient exit from a project they just wanted to drop anyway.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...ease_for_p.html

The dentist was the first to close on one of 33 units in the brown brick Park Row condominium complex.

With crews putting the finishing touches on 18 sold Park Row units, Burton's was one of three that received a final occupancy permit last week.

Great news. This project looks fantastic, hopefully we'll see more like it after the real estate market corrects.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...ease_for_p.html

The dentist was the first to close on one of 33 units in the brown brick Park Row condominium complex.

With crews putting the finishing touches on 18 sold Park Row units, Burton's was one of three that received a final occupancy permit last week.

Great news. This project looks fantastic, hopefully we'll see more like it after the real estate market corrects.

From the article:

"The reality is we'll sell one home a month, maybe two," he said. "That's just how it's going to happen. I'd be a lot more nervous if this was a seven-story building."

Ouch. :D

Archived