MidTowne Village Development Updates

GRDadof3

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a late question about the Wendy's rebuild.

I'm thinking back to the controversy about the potential Starbucks (site next to the existing McDonalds) that was rejected because it was too car-oriented in its layout. Since this Wendy's has been demolished, do the same standards that sunk that Starbucks now apply to this place? That it has to meet some minimum urban design standards that will make it far less suburban-looking?

I'm sure it was grandfathered based on it being an existing business.  Meritage wouldn't have been stupid enough to do a scrape and build if there was a threat of the city changing code or zoning standards on them like that.  They would have just done an exstensive renovation to the existing structure.  

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2015 at 7:23 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Apparently the Hampton Inn & Suites is officially open:

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4073262.html

At long last.....Has anyone noticed that light bar that rings the entire top of the building?  That's pretty cool.

I noticed in the article, that once again, someone screwed up the expressway #, calling I-196, I-96.  Has anyone at MDOT thought about changing I-196 to I-296 to prevent confusion?   

53 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Yes, I'm aware of that, but it's not marked anymore and frankly it's silly.

I find it's easier just to call it the Ford Fwy.  Technically I-196 was supposed to be part of the I-67 designated corridor.  I-67 never came into existence,  They are almost finished upgrading US-31 to full freeway from South Bend to Indianapolis.  If the state of Michigan ever got off of it's tuccus and finished the connection of US-31 to I-196 in Berrien County, there would be direct freeway access from Downtown GR to Indianapolis and all of it's connector freeways.  If they ever finished connecting the freeway portion of 131 to I-75 You'd have the complete I-67 finished as it was originally intended.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2015 at 8:46 AM, joeDowntown said:

Not quite Midtown but Vander Mill is opening a production facility, taproom and restaurant at Michigan and Ball St. 

http://mibiz.com/item/22164-vander-mill-cider-to-invest-four-million-dollars-in-grand-rapids-facility

Joe

Vander Mill looks like it's going to open soon, just in time for Spring.

25309010205_76014c614b_c.jpg

24678389464_b1b3b75718_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived