MidTowne Village Development Updates

GRDadof3

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a view heading east on 96. I think it looks good from this angle (Hampton Inns aren't usually the coolest buildings in the world). Will be interesting to see what materials they use. 

1974380_379779325495771_245908955_o.jpg

Joe

That looks nice. Where'd you dig that one up Joe?

It seems ok enough. It fills in a long empty lot, and since it doesn't face any main street, and it's going to be aimed at business travelers and maybe visitors to the medical facilities, exterior aesthetics really don't need to be much more than respectable.

Only the 60,000 cars a day that pass by on 196. :)

This thread is unusually quiet. No comments about the design either...

I took a rather fatalistic view. If Planning already signed off on it, there really is no point in arguing the aesthetics. The broader issue is that structured parking needs to be wrapped/screened. That is a code issue that the Planning Dept needs to address with the Planning Board and Council. I know of no other city that has as much development downtown that still allows this type of exposed structured parking. This is the fourth project that was either built or proposed with this type of garage exposure. 

I think Third Coast has done a good job with Mid Towne Village (and Michigan Street in general). They seem to be good stewards of the neighborhood and will make it look good.

Joe

I was only countering GRUrbanist's claim that it doesn't face any main street, not commenting on the design. :) I think the design looks fine. I just wish the parking was screened a bit more.

It was on The Facebooks. :)

Joe

Ah. I saw a big long thread on the Facebook's by a former member here on this building and its design aesthetics. Again, why I'm surprised there has been no discussion here.

I agree that the building design is fine (materials will be the determining factor on if ends up a B+ or a C+.  The garage is really the only thing that I have an issue with, and my concern is more with the City code that allows this rather than the developer that proposes it (although one would think maintaining a good design aesthetic would be the goal of any developer).

I agree that the building design is fine (materials will be the determining factor on if ends up a B+ or a C+.  The garage is really the only thing that I have an issue with, and my concern is more with the City code that allows this rather than the developer that proposes it (although one would think maintaining a good design aesthetic would be the goal of any developer).

For a hotel it doesn't really matter. On those booking sites they generally just show one picture of the exterior of the hotel, and the rest are of the pool and the lobby and the breakfast bar and the rooms.

I wonder if they're going to provide shuttle bus service to downtown?

I think Third Coast has done a good job with Mid Towne Village (and Michigan Street in general). They seem to be good stewards of the neighborhood and will make it look good.

Joe

As a neighbor I have very mixed feelings on that statement.  I'm holding out hope though for future developments.  That said, I had no expectations of this hotel being anything special, so my expectations there pretty well met.

Joe

It was before my time of being involved with the neighborhood, but there was definitely a little bit of tension between neighbors and Third Coast when that project was being developed.  I don't know all the details, but I get the sense that communication has improved quite a bit since then.  In the past couple of years they did try to reopen an exit from their parking garage onto a neighborhood street that was again denied. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.971476,-85.653212,3a,75y,271.4h,92.32t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suPMIiUsfumJwH_20rcbAPw!2e0  (not to mention, if someone tried to build a 4-story parking garage 30 ft from YOUR house, you would probably also object.)

I was very impressed with the architectural design charrette they held last fall to get ideas for a possible mixed-use project at Michigan and Diamond that could be put into motion at some point soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks good.  But does the expansion of the parking lot to the north of 555 Michigan mean that the future building at that surface lot is not going to happen? (I think it was townhouses planed for that surface lot)

Not technically MidTowne (by a smidge). Four Story, 18 apartment building with first floor office space proposed for NE corner of Michigan and Union (I like the design):

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/06/new_apartments_and_storefronts.html#incart_river_default#incart_m-rpt-2

Joe

That article actually states that there will be two projects, one on the vacant lot and one where the two-story yellow(?) building stands now.

post-2672-0-58313700-1402066920_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Looks like this hotel project and Arena Place are going to be neck and neck. Anyone know if we'll see some real tower cranes at either?

This will be not a bad place to stay. Lots of greenery to the North, Medical Mile to the West, Heritage Hill to the South and the park and condos to the East. Grab a drink and grub at El Barrio. If you don't like the generally nasty breakfast buffets at hotels, Omellette Shoppe out the front door.

14418466939_5ebed50475_b.jpg

Archived