Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Denver Eats

19 posts in this topic

Let's get some discussion going on Denver. I am plannign another trip out there (I go out to visit my brother in Golden). As a poor college student he doesn't get a chance to go out to eat much, so I like to at least go out and grab something with him. What are some great places to go?

Anything's game here, from fast food to fancy. Whats good, what's a lot of fun, and what's new? Throw out your thoughts about Denver Eats

I'm certainly no expert on dining in Denver, but some of the best greasy spoon type food I've ever had in my life was at a little local place called "Denver Diner" on Colfax on the west end of downtown. Casa Bonita has gained some national fame and is somewhat entertaining. It's a mexican restaraunt with so-so food, but it has cliff divers and all kinds of other off the wall entertainment. There are a ton of places to eat along the 16th street mall, mostly national chains though. My friend used to work at Tosh's Hacienda. A historic mexican restaraunt in the 5 points neighborhood. 5 points is a bit of a rougher neighborhood, but I never felt unsafe there. I frequently hear about a place called Racines, but I know nothing about it. For drinks you want to go to the peak lounge on the 27th floor of the Hyatt Hotel.

That's my limited knowledge of the Denver dining scene...

Let's get some discussion going on Denver. I am plannign another trip out there (I go out to visit my brother in Golden). As a poor college student he doesn't get a chance to go out to eat much, so I like to at least go out and grab something with him. What are some great places to go?

Anything's game here, from fast food to fancy. Whats good, what's a lot of fun, and what's new? Throw out your thoughts about Denver Eats

The California Cafe at the Park Meadows Mall is pretty nifty, if not a little pricey if you want to treat your brother to a nice dinner and some wine.

* LoDo bar and grill (one is around Lone Tree/Park meadows, other is Downtown in LoDo) is another great restaurant for microbrews and food.

the Old Spagghetti Factory in Downtown is another really good one btw.

Wow, I didn't know that Casa Bonita was an actual place.

"South Park" made it seem somewhat supernatural.

* if you want to be a tourist, theres Hard Rock Cafe on 16th.

* Paramount has some really great food (also on 16th)

* if you want fancy and like seafood, Papadeux in DTC (i wanna say its off of orchard road and I 25 but I dont remember)

* Joe's Crab shack also has some great food and not as expensive

* as someone stated, Casa Bonita has its fame, but the food is....well....eh.

* Champs next to Park meadows mall has some really good food, especially their mashed potatos...

* Then you have PF Changs downtown and in Park Meadows........its good food for too much money IMO

No offense - but he could eat at any of these places anywhere in the country, how about some more Denver specific locales?

If you happen to come to Boulder, I still love The Sink - a college bar with some good little burgers.

No offense - but he could eat at any of these places anywhere in the country, how about some more Denver specific locales?

If you happen to come to Boulder, I still love The Sink - a college bar with some good little burgers.

^ You are correct, I was meaning the 4 other places which are national chains.

Also - forgot another local favorite for breakfast, The Buff - surprisingly the best breakfast I've ever had.

Just curious, but has anyone been to the fairly new Wal-Mart Supercenter off Colfax and Sheridan in Lakewood? I was up there this past year and it seemed to be substantually better than the old Wal-Mart off Colfax I believe.

Just curious, but has anyone been to the fairly new Wal-Mart Supercenter off Colfax and Sheridan in Lakewood? I was up there this past year and it seemed to be substantually better than the old Wal-Mart off Colfax I believe.

lol nope. and where did that come from considering the original topic in this post? lol

As far as places to eat in Denver, particularly those that are unique or relatively unique to the Denver/Front Range area, grab hold of a 5280 Magazine (available all over and maybe even a local library if you can't find new copies at a newstand/bookstore). The magazine has restaurant reviews and listings for the entire Denver metro area and will give you clues about restaurants that aren't chains and are often located away from big suburban shopping centers. There are some great little places in Denver neighborhoods and tucked away in a few suburbs. 240 Union in Lakewood is just one that comes to mind.

Also, www.theurbanbrain.com/denver provides tips about unique/special places to eat and drink, too. It's not comprehensive, but it could give a you a few ideas, and maybe that's all you need.

So any new developments in the Denver eating scene? I have to go out to my brother's graduation next month, and I am looking for a few good places to take him and my parents. Probably nothing too too fancy, and more in the Golden/Lakewood area. But I am looking for some good ideas.

Guys - I need some good suggestions, particularly fast food/Fast Casual!

McDonald's? I've never heard of anybody going through such a prolonged culinary crisis?

I've never heard of anybody going through such a prolonged culinary crisis?