Louisiana's Next Govenor

eastover neworleans

Plenty of state workers will continue to vote Blanco simply to keep their jobs.

Politics in Louisiana just need (should) to take a look at the Saints and see what new leadership did for them. I think it's safe to say the Saints would not have enjoyed the success this season making the playoffs if Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett was still there. Just more disappiontment.

Jindal is a genius IMO.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Politics in Louisiana just need (should) to take a look at the Saints and see what new leadership did for them. I think it's safe to say the Saints would not have enjoyed the success this season making the playoffs if Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett was still there. Just more disappiontment.

That's cool, disagree with me; but I doubt Louisiana has many "progressives." The fact that he is calling for an overturn of Roe v Wade is a BIG reason why he WILL get my vote.

What exactly is a "progressive" anyway? Sounds to me like a liberal who won't admit he's a liberal.

A liberal is a progressive, but not all progressives are liberals. If you were trying to ask do I consider myself a liberal, the answer would be on some issues...yes but not on all.

Louisiana is one of the most liberal leaning states in the South. No it is not on par with Massachusetts, New York, or Rhode Island, but we still have a large population of people who consider themselves as progressives.

Bill Clinton is a Rhodes Scholar as well.

While I truly respect other political views on things such as Roe v Wade, gay marriage and the like... I hope and pray that these issues do not get involved in this governor's race. Although, in Louisiana, this would help Jindal's cause. The point I am trying to make is that it is time for us in Louisiana to start putting Louisiana first over these trivial emotional issues. We need to focus on concrete changes, such as our business tax structure, our horrid state constitution, and education. For the campaign to get derailed because of emotional or religious issues would be a shame. It's time that we focus on changing the things that are holding this state back instead of focusing on issues that divide us. But unfortunately, that is politics. Politics have not served this state very well. Let's focus on the real issues.

While I truly respect other political views on things such as Roe v Wade, gay marriage and the like... I hope and pray that these issues do not get involved in this governor's race. Although, in Louisiana, this would help Jindal's cause. The point I am trying to make is that it is time for us in Louisiana to start putting Louisiana first over these trivial emotional issues. We need to focus on concrete changes, such as our business tax structure, our horrid state constitution, and education. For the campaign to get derailed because of emotional or religious issues would be a shame. It's time that we focus on changing the things that are holding this state back instead of focusing on issues that divide us. But unfortunately, that is politics. Politics have not served this state very well. Let's focus on the real issues.

Same here, along with so many other things. Like I've said many times, you hear Blanco talk about issues in Louisiana, and it makes you want to cry. Then you listen to Jindal talk about the same issues, and you wonder HOW did this guy not get elected? Jindal is extremely popular in south Louisiana due to the fact that he has been everywhere and seemingly doing everything in relation to Katrina issues, while Blanco sits around and points fingers. When Jindal is asked about why something isn't happening in New Orleans, he breaks down absolutely everything. If he thinks he isn't doing enough, he will say so, and will outline what he plans to do in order to fix that. If Blanco is asked the same thing, she simply points the finger at someone else. It's always the fault of the Fed's, FEMA, or local governments. Never Blanco or anything on the state level.

Yes, mostly the latter. Jindal lost lots tons of votes due to the fact that he is of Indian descent, even though he was born in Baton Rouge. It's pretty sad to say the least, but you'll find stuff like that anywere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read that John Breaux may run if the Queen B chooses not to run.

La. Politics by John Maginnis: Breaux eyes governor's race

Former Sen. John Breaux has told sources he is "very interested" in running for governor if Kathleen Blanco doesn't. The Fax Weekly spoke to three individuals who say Breaux directly told them of his renewed interest during Washington Mardi Gras. "This is the most interested I've seen him than all the other BS we've been through," said a friend of the 61-year-old ex-senator turned high-powered Washington lobbyist. He toyed with campaigning for governor in 2003 and for re-election in 2004, holding the political community and other campaigns in suspense until he announced he would not run. News of Breaux's interest both heartens Democrats and puts pressure on Blanco to make her decision soon. The governor is said to have a poll in the field.

• 1 month later...

Louisiana politics isn't my forte, but I do enjoy keeping up with political news. I keep on hearing Jindal would easily take out Blanco (this was before she announced she wasn't going to seek reelection--and a good thing).

I also saw some polls suggesting that Jindal could easily take on Sen. Landrieu (which would be another good thing). Perhaps he should seek the Senate seat instead. Any thoughts?

Not sure if I'm dialed in on Jindal, although I supported him in 2003 - And please, keep in mind this is coming from one who lives in South Mississippi

I can say that having Haley Barbour as governor expedited, and continues to expedite, our recovery from Katrina - Was it his leadership? Certainly. But more so, I believe it is his connections in DC that allows a generous portion of renewal funds to flow into the state. As former chair of the GOP and powerful lobbyist (which provided much fodder for his opponents in 04), Barbour was able to get to the right people at the right time. One can easily see the differences between himself and Blanco in that respect. With that in mind, I ask who can garner support inside the beltway for LA faster, Jindal or Breaux? Although I share many views in common with Jindal, it seems that recovery is the soup du jour for Louisianians in this election. Does Jindal hold as much, if not more, influence in Washinton as does Breaux? I think not. DNC House and Senate add support to my argument, I feel. As such, it seems Breaux might be the man for LA in this election.

Comments are encouraged

Archived